Thread: Need advise

Dennism5986 Guest

Default Need advise

Last Wednesday I found 3 baby squirrels. They were in the bed of a maintenance truck. By the time the driver found them they don't know where the mother was. There were no injuries and they have all been eating, growing properly. None of them were dehydrated.
    On Tuesday of this week the runt stopped showing interest in food. She would eat but slowly and unenthusiastically. Wednesday she began showing interest again and ate like a little pig. Thursday, again, she stopped showing interest. She looks very frail and seems lethargic. When compared to the other two she seems so much smaller. She is still going to the bathroom normally. He bm's are soft and a mustard color.
    This mornings feeding I managed to get her to eat a full serving however it took quite a while while. Now she is showing zero interest in food and her bowl movement is slighly wet, closer to a diarreah rather than a solid.
    I would like to get some advise before I take her to a facility who will just take her and keep her.
    I have checked for all the typical things that I have read on other posts. She doesn't appear to be dehydrated (can that happen after being normal for this long), she does not make any clicking noises when eating.

Default Re: Need advise

Quote Originally Posted by Dennism5986 View Post
    Last Wednesday I found 3 baby squirrels. They were in the bed of a maintenance truck. By the time the driver found them they don't know where the mother was. There were no injuries and they have all been eating, growing properly. None of them were dehydrated.
    On Tuesday of this week the runt stopped showing interest in food. She would eat but slowly and unenthusiastically. Wednesday she began showing interest again and ate like a little pig. Thursday, again, she stopped showing interest. She looks very frail and seems lethargic. When compared to the other two she seems so much smaller. She is still going to the bathroom normally. He bm's are soft and a mustard color.
    This mornings feeding I managed to get her to eat a full serving however it took quite a while while. Now she is showing zero interest in food and her bowl movement is slighly wet, closer to a diarreah rather than a solid.
    I would like to get some advise before I take her to a facility who will just take her and keep her.
    I have checked for all the typical things that I have read on other posts. She doesn't appear to be dehydrated (can that happen after being normal for this long), she does not make any clicking noises when eating.
    What formula are you using? And yes, they can certainly become dehydrated at any time and it will affect their appetite. When in doubt, hydrate.

What are you feeding them?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Dennism5986 Guest

Well I've been feeding all 3 of them Esbilac as thats what I was always told. The other two seem to be reacting and growing properly but after reading this website this morning I'm ordering Fox Valley right now.

I had a squirrel years ago and he grew up great. I just followed the same techniques I used then. Like I said, two of them are doing great. This one just went down hill suddenly.

Dennism5986 Guest

Is there a type of Pedialyte to use? There's flavors, etc.

Is there a type of Pedialyte to use? There's flavors, etc.
    Instead of pedialyte, I would use plain home made sugar water - 1 tablespoon of sugar to 1 cup water. This baby does not need the sodium and other chemicals in the pedialyte.

Since this little one is not doing well, I would suggest changing from the esbilac, which I believe to be the problem, to a mixture of 3 parts fresh goats milk to 1 part vanilla yogurt. If you canno find fresh GM you can use either dry or canned evaporated goats milk. You would mix them with water according the package directions FIRST, then use the results of that in the recipe I just gave you. You can change all of the babies to this until you get the Fox Valley. It is very digestible.

Dennism5986 Guest

Thank you. I will try all of this and let you know the outcome. Hopefully this is the case. Thank you again!

Dennism5986 Guest

I have been doing the rehydration process since the earlier posts and it seems to be working. She's more energetic now and her belly is filling out nicely. I did it every 30 minutes for 2 hours and then moved to once per hour.
    What time line should I follow with this before putting her on formula?
    Thanks again for all of your help.

I have been doing the rehydration process since the earlier posts and it seems to be working. She's more energetic now and her belly is filling out nicely. I did it every 30 minutes for 2 hours and then moved to once per hour.
    What time line should I follow with this before putting her on formula?
    Thanks again for all of your help.
    If you have the stuff to make the gm/yogurt formula, make up some of that, scoop a spoonful or two out of it and make up a 50/50 formula/sugar water blend. Give her some of that for the next hour or two and then start offering her the regular strength stuff. If she starts to slide a little, sandwich a sugar water feeding in between her regular feedings.

Do they still look wrinkly? If you gently pinch the skin between the shoulders does it go right back down or does it tent? Is she peeing? Once hydrated, you should probably start the GM formula. Have you gotten the ingredients?

Dennism5986 Guest

Yes, I have gotten the ingredients for the GM formula. I will try this mixture and see how she does. He skin is much less wrinkled than it was earlier and is beginning to get it's elastisity back.

Excellent report! Remember to heat the formula until it feels almost hot. No microwaving though.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    If you have the stuff to make the gm/yogurt formula, make up some of that, scoop a spoonful or two out of it and make up a 50/50 formula/sugar water blend. Give her some of that for the next hour or two and then start offering her the regular strength stuff. If she starts to slide a little, sandwich a sugar water feeding in between her regular feedings.
    Additional note: Unless someone chimes in differently, normally full-fat yogurt is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Additional note: Unless someone chimes in differently, normally full-fat yogurt is required.
    Always full fat yogurt with no artificial sweetener.

Dennism5986 Guest

Sorry for the delay. Life has been pretty hectic. The rehydration worked great. All 3 are doing great. This little girl has almost caught up completely in size which is crazy since she was the runt of the pack.
    Eyes have been open for a few weeks, they're starting to climb and each have their own little personalities. They so much remind me of the squirrel i had a few years back.
    Thank you all so much for your help saving this little ones life.

Sorry for the delay. Life has been pretty hectic. The rehydration worked great. All 3 are doing great. This little girl has almost caught up completely in size which is crazy since she was the runt of the pack.
    Eyes have been open for a few weeks, they're starting to climb and each have their own little personalities. They so much remind me of the squirrel i had a few years back.
    Thank you all so much for your help saving this little ones life.
    Thank *you*

sid'smommy Guest

Well I've been feeding all 3 of them Esbilac as thats what I was always told. The other two seem to be reacting and growing properly but after reading this website this morning I'm ordering Fox Valley right now.

I had a squirrel years ago and he grew up great. I just followed the same techniques I used then. Like I said, two of them are doing great. This one just went down hill suddenly.
    Esbilac was fine to use years ago, but they reformulated it, and it caused problems with the digestion in squirrels. So, the problem isnt you, its the esbilac. Im glad you came here for help! Sounds like you know what youre doing... thanks for saving these babies, Good Luck, and welcome to TSB !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.