Thread: > 2 week old baby brown wont eat, lethargic

GuineaPirate Guest

Default > 2 week old baby brown wont eat, lethargic

Assumed care of three pinky squirrels four days ago, person who found them was feeding KMR. I switched them to fox valley 20/50 with the 32/40 on order. Two of them died yesterday, one dehydration, one bloat. (I did everything I could from reading old posts) Fed remaining baby strawberry pedialite all night, baby doesn't seem to want to drink but managed to get some in him. Tried switching back to diluted fox valley this morning, baby just doesnt want to eat, last poop was about 12 hours ago, good solid mustard big poop. I'm running out of options and time, please help.

Default Re: > 2 week old baby brown wont eat, lethargic

Is she dehydrated? Pinch the skin between the shoulders and see if it tents or goes right back down.

Pedialyte should be given for not more than 24 hours due to the salt. After that, just use water flavored with a bit of sugar or a splash of apply juice.

How much does she weigh? Is he gaining? How much and how often are you feeding? Is her belly hard and/or round or soft like a partially filled water balloon?

Try rubbing some molasses or other syrup on her gums. Low blood sugar or dehydration cause a loss of appetite.

Btw, what city are you in? We may have someone who could help you out, or take her if you want.

I am a rehabber in sc where are you??

I agree with farelli, sugar water every 30 mins or so

GuineaPirate Guest

He's slightly dehydrated, less than yesterday. belly isnt too bloated, not too tight, I'm in North of Charleston, haven't fed it pedalite for more than 12 hours (ever 2-2 1/2 hours)

do you ear any clicking from chest when breathing???

just to update, I have pm GuineaPirate gave my number to help.. will let you know info as we talk. I have not spoke on phone yet.. hope to hear something soon..

Okay, with FV, you don't need to feed as often if I am not mistaken. Are you waiting until the milk line is totally gone before feeding the next time? If not, it can cause issues as the formula that is left in the stomach can actually ferment if it is not allowed to totally digest before adding more on top of it.
    You might want to speak to JBTartel as you are in the same state and she may have the experience needed here to help you.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Baby just passed.. I am sorry GuineaPirate, I am here if you ever need me..

GuineaPirate Guest

Hey guys, Thanks for the response and advice, unfortunately I dont think their was anything more I could do for the little guy. He died in my hand just minutes ago. I tried dabs a caro, pedilite, kepping him warm, stimulation, diluted fox Vally, and every tip and trick I could get off this site and the rest of the internet. I suspect issues with the KMR the previous caretaker gave, but who knows. It's devastating, but they were so young. I have a huge passion for these little critters, and will attempt to help whenever I can. If anyone needs formula or help in the Charleston SC area please contact me.
    Nat Mundy
    nauticalnat@gmail.com

Thanks for trying

GuineaPirate Guest

There was some clicking form the second to die( last night) Thinking fluid in lungs? I noticed a pic where the previous caretaker had milk coming from nose during feeding (they were using a bottle not syringe) I want to figure out what went wrong so I can not make the same mistakes in the future (everyone seems to being me sick or baby animals, I live on a small "farm" and am known to have a weak spot for fuzzy animals despite my deterrence to people) I also want to register as a rehabber in my area, but want to ensure I have the knowledge to care for them before I do so. I have had luck in the past with browns and flyers, but Ive also had my losses. Still making mistakes but eager to learn from them.

pneumonia was the culprit most likely with all three, you are here now sooo you will learn tons of info.. keep notes and listen carefully.. they may also offer a rehabbing class to teach you where you live too.. and we all still have our losses.. I took the class offered here.. you ave my number call if you need to.

Godspeed little ones...
    Thank-you for trying...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.