Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: two new additions

Default Re: two new additions

Hi Chyna,

Welcome, I'm still a newbee myself.

There's a lot of info here which can be a little overwhelming at first.

It looks like you've done a lot of research already.

Just in case, I thought I'd point out some potential useful areas for you...

Pedialyte, you said you were giving... I didn't notice if you said you were using stuff from the store or homemade. The folks on this board encourage homemade due to the tiny size of the squirrels' kidneys (can't handle the extra indredients in the commercial stuff the way humans can).
    1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    3 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)
    1 quart warm water
    Mix all ingredients in warm water. Store in refrigerator.

Note: you're not supposed to give salt for more than 24 hours.

Other baby squirel info: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...IRREL-NOW-WHAT

Feeding techniques: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ting-questions
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

Tips and Tricks: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ips-and-Tricks

Bedding shouldn't be newspaper or cedar due to sinus issues (I didn't know that). Only flannel or cotton t-shirts. Watch out for loose threads.

You probably already read this stuff but just in case.

I'll go back to lurking in the shadows.

I just went to the local super market and they had everything but goats milk, until i get the fox valley is it okay to use kmr in replace of it?!

No it really isnt. Try the canned or powdered milk section for goats milk. No health food store or farm market?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Trader Joe's has it usually, Walmart too, as do many ethnic groceries and convenience stores. It's often fresh but can be canned next to the evaporated milk.

Save yourself some rnergy and start making phone calls.

Open the phone book and start calling grocery stores before going. It IS hard to find but here's some tips:
    - I am told it is available in cans but you'll have to dilute.
    -in Canada, there is a chain called IGA (don't know if it exists in US); they pride themselves on carrying goat's milk in the milk section (but only one brand among all the normal milk so it's easy to miss)... If you don't have IGA, there may be a chain that does as well (think big family oriented names)
    - so you know anyone with children with milk issues? Odds are they'll feedbth goat's milk and can either share or direct you better.
    -call health food stores for tips (they might not have some but may know who does)
    -some grocery stores keep the goat's milk in the 'health food' or 'natural food' section on the store (like those belonging to Loblaws head office in Canada)... Separate fridge and all... So check there for fresh/cold or maybe even in cans

AGAIN START WITH PHONECDLLS TO SAVE ENERGY. Once you get a 'yes we carry it', ask them how much they have in stock and, if required, beg them to put it aside for you because you'll be there shortly

In the meantime, it sounds like Esbilac is the lesser of all evils ( lesser bit still evil)

Good luck

------

Has anyone warned you about the shelf life of GM once opened? It's good for like 2-3 days. So have your ziploc bags ready. One you open it, separate into 1 cup portions per ziploc bag and freeze (leave as little air as possible in the bag). It takes about a day to thaw in the frisdge (at least 8 hours to have some liquid with frozen sections) so start thawing oin a clean bowl (leaks do happen) as soon as it gets low.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

this is the brand that is nation wide... the carton can be found next to the refridgerated whole milk... and as others have shared, the evaporated is next to the sweet condensed and canned milk products...
    both sell for about $4...
    ONCE OPENED THE COLD MILK HAS A VERY SHORT SHELF LIFE..THREE DAYS/72 HOURS...
    it can be frozen into cubes and thawed as needed.
    THE CANNED variety needs to be diluted; 1 can of water needs to be added to reconstitute it. It also has a short shelf life once opened and is also recommended to be frozen into cubes.
    Do not add the yogurt before freezing, wait until you are using it to mix the HC and yogurt into it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

United Supermarket 0.9 miles

1501 East Amarillo Boulevard
    Amarillo 79107
    Phone: 806-373-7424
    Get Directions

Eat Rite Health Fd 2.9 miles

2441 W Interstate 40
    Amarillo 79109
    Phone: 806-353-7476
    Get Directions

Wal-Mart 3.1 miles

3700 I-40 E
    Amarillo 79103
    Phone: 806 342 3030
    Get Directions

United Supermarket 3.2 miles

2530 South Georgia Street
    Amarillo 79109
    Phone: 806-468-6000
    Get Directions

Fountain of Health Natural Food Market 3.8 miles

3705-B Olsen Blvd
    Amarillo 79109
    Phone: 806-355-5162
    Get Directions

United Supermarket 4.0 miles

5601 West Amarillo Boulevard
    Amarillo 79106
    Phone: 806-435-7158
    Get Directions

Wal-Mart 4.1 miles

4215 Canyon Dr
    Amarillo 79110
    Phone: 806 352 6360
    Get Directions

Wal-Mart 4.3 miles

5730 W Amarillo Blvd
    Amarillo 79106
    Phone: 806 354 9454
    Get Directions

Albertsons 4.7 miles

2200 Bell St
    Amarillo 79106
    Phone: 806-359-8528

Hope this helps!

Lightbulb Re: two new additions

Guys (admins in particular), is there a sticky out there about potential sources to find Goat's Milk as it seems to be a hard thing to find? I had a lot of difficulty as well... even the reliable sources only keep a couple of containers. It might be worth making one. If any admins would like me to take on the initiative, I can write up something pretty. Please PM me in that case.

Other ways of finding Goat's Milk, keep in mind that others (not squirrelly people) have a use for goat's milk so put yourself in theeir shows. Who are they and where would they be? Google search "[your area/town] Goat's Milk". Odds are some other health conscious parent has posted questions about finsing some on a message board somewhere and you''re Google search might land on the results.

Also, check if there are farmer's markets in your area. You might be able to find some there.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post

Guys (admins in particular), is there a sticky out there about potential sources to find Goat's Milk as it seems to be a hard thing to find? I had a lot of difficulty as well... even the reliable sources only keep a couple of containers. It might be worth making one. If any admins would like me to take on the initiative, I can write up something pretty. Please PM me in that case.

Other ways of finding Goat's Milk, keep in mind that others (not squirrelly people) have a use for goat's milk so put yourself in theeir shows. Who are they and where would they be? Google search "[your area/town] Goat's Milk". Odds are some other health conscious parent has posted questions about finsing some on a message board somewhere and you''re Google search might land on the results.

Also, check if there are farmer's markets in your area. You might be able to find some there.
    Sometimes you need to just hunt. I keep all supplies on hand all the time, but because of posts like this, I also look for these things just to see how many places I can find them. I SEARCHED my local grocery store chain - I looked with the milk, the creamers, the canned milk, the evaporated milk, in with all of the almond milk stuff in the natural foods section - everywhere. I concluded they didn't have it. I asked and was told no. Then one day I was hunting for almond butter in the natural food section and there it was, both evaporated AND powdered, sitting next to the almond and peanut butter in the natural food section! After having been told that they didn't have it at our OTHER big chain store, I did the same thing and found all three kinds - fresh, powdered and evaporated. If your stores have a natural foods section, check every inch of that section, because that is where they usually hide it, and they may not even know it's there!

I went last night to Untied and searched everywhere! I even asked 2 employees and they said they had none. My dad called this morning and what do you know, they have it after all! Thank you so much for all the help guys! Dexters bottom looks better this morning too! So happy (: I just can't thank you all enough for taking the time to help me!

We are very happy to help! Keep up the good work and don't leave us. Now that we know you and your little ones, we will need updates and PICS!!!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12