Thread: Help! Is this MBD?

HSMC Kathleen Guest

Default Help! Is this MBD?

Not sure if my previous post made it so please forgive me if I'm repeating myself. I have a 4 week old E. Grey Sqirrel who is having problems and I'm not sure if it's MBD or not. When I first got it at about 3 weeks of age it was very cold and dehydrated. A child had found it 24 hours previously so it went that long without eating or being warm. I warmed it, then put it on Pedialyte for 24 hours. It was improving, but still was dehydrated so the vet at the shelter where I work gave it sq fluids. It responded well and over the next 24 hours I fed it KMR mixed with pedialyte, gradually weaning off the pedialyte. As the lump on his back from the fluids went down I noticed a hard lump over the shoulder blades and the right front leg splaying out to the side. Over the next few days both the front legs continued to weaken and splay out. Now the right front paw is turning back towards the tail and the hind legs are very weak. The left hind is pointing backwards and under his body. He eats readily and his bladder and bowels are working fine, he is growing and developing normally otherwise. The only thing I have changed is that I have always mixed the KMR 3 parts water to 1 part powder to avoid constipation and since yesterday I have started mixing it 2:1 like the directions say. Any suggestions? Thanks - have raised lots of little ones and never seen anything like this!

Default Re: Help! Is this MBD?

You need to get him off the KMR, I'm afraid. KMR is for cats, which have the highest protein needs of all mammals, and he is a baby rodent. KMR's protein-to-fat ratio is all out of whack for a squirrel. Here is my suggestion:

Order Fox Valley Day One for squirrels, 32/40 from www.henryspets.com.

While waiting for the FV to arrive,
    Transition him to our Emergency Goat's Milk recipe as follows:

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

Because of recent manufacturing issues, Esbilac and other puppy formulas are no longer being recommended for squirrels or other wildlife. The formula that TSB recommends, Fox Valley Day One, is currently available online at www.foxvalleynutrition.com and www.henryspets.com. But those require shipping and this baby squirrel needs food NOW.

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk. Island Rehabber

Hopefully this will reverse the bone loss or damage caused by the kitten formula. And please don't think we are blaming you in any way -- most VETS, who are not trained in wildlife medicine unless they choose to specialize in it -- will tell the general public to give baby squirrels KMR .
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Daisey007 (05-18-2016)

Can you put up the name of a town close to you that folks would recognise? There are lots of members in Florida and someone may be able to get you some Fox Valley fast. Skeletal development issues are one of the problems seen in babies raised on KMR...

lilidukes Guest

Please never mix pedialyte with formula.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I do not have a car today, depending on where you are in Marion county... I may be only an hourish away...
    I am not a licensed rehabber, but have many years experience with MBD sqs... also keep emergency supplies here as well as have a nearby vet..
    if there is anything I can help with ....I am willing to try. I can share some FV as well.

never mix formula using pedialyte as the base liquid, this is counter productive... to much sodium will shut down the kidneys... renal failure.
    You are getting advise from the best..please switch the formula asap...use the recipe provided...
    keep that baby warm

Quote Originally Posted by lilidukes View Post
    Please never mix pedialyte with formula.
    like minds

I am in Citrus County and have Fox Valley if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ques96 View Post
    I am in Citrus County and have Fox Valley if needed.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!
    great offer!!!!!

HSMC Kathleen Guest

ques96 where do you live? I work until 7 or so but I would come get the Fox Valley if possible. I want to do everything I can for this little guy. I've raised tons of squirrels on KMR and have never had this problem. Never again! So glad I found this board!
    -Kathleen

I will Pm her for you...

Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by HSMC Kathleen View Post
    ques96 where do you live? I work until 7 or so but I would come get the Fox Valley if possible. I want to do everything I can for this little guy. I've raised tons of squirrels on KMR and have never had this problem. Never again! So glad I found this board!
    -Kathleen

I sent you a pm with my info.

Kathleen could not meet me tonight to get the FV but we did speak on the phone. She has all that is needed for the gm formula and is ordering FV(and blocks). Since he is having such medical problems we both agreed the sooner he was off the Kmr the better so she has been instructed on the transitioning ratios and steps to the gm and yogurt . I did advise to hold off on adding the heavy cream until fully transitioned and tolerating well. She has my number and was referred back to the board as well for any further help needed.

thank you for reaching out and sharing the update Ques!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa View Post
    thank you for reaching out and sharing the update Ques!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.