Thread: Racoon Roundworm or MBD?

Default Racoon Roundworm or MBD?

One of the family of wild greys who nest in a huge maple in the neighbor's yard, and frequent underneath our bird-feeder, eat the woodpecker suet we hang,, and drink from the water dishes under the tree, can no longer stand without gut-wrenching effort (but he can stand).
    This behavior was first seen exactly a week ago, when we saw him (or her) dragging itself in circles. For weeks before this it appeared wobbly, but now suddenly paralyzed. I frantically searched and thought MBD (yes I've read the emerency link), but the local wildlife rescue center said it's 99.99% probability of raccoon roundworm.
    After reading several very instructive threads going back a year or more, my questions are these.
    1. Is there any reason I shouldn't try to (correctly) dose these wilds with the de-wormer infused peanut-butter in a shell trick described elsewhere on a thread about a wild grey? I understand the need to repeat dosage 10 days later, and the need to deliver one dose to one squirrel, but as long as I go slow and watch who picks up what, could I at least try to de-worm ALL of them, not just the sick one?

2. Is MBD strictly limited to captive pets? Or is it within the realm of reason to imagine that by gorging on suet and the feeder's overspill, a wild squirrel would develop MBD? The local center eliminates MBD from the conversation about variables each of the 3 times I've spoken with them. The products in the suet and seed feeders are not intended for squirrels, but we don't mind indulging ours, and it's all hanging except for groundspill. Since last week I've been adding almonds and walnuts to a dish on the ground. This is to ensure calcium is in their diet.
    I assume we've lost at least one squirrel who's too far gone, but we'll continue to feed and water and try to deworm him if possible. We fear a second is showing early signs. The center says areas around food and water dishes aren't likely to be used by raccoons as a toilet. I don't want to remove the water dishes unless someone says otherwise.
    What started out as a beautiful Puget Sound summer is becoming a slow-motion nightmare of doom. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Racoon Roundworm or MBD?

Generally MBD is not an ailment of wild squirrels. Raccoon roundworm is not something that is treatable with wormer. Sadly it is not something that they can recover from.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Have you taken him in? If so (and please do if he's in really bad shape), dark warm and quiet are key.

Perhaps he's fallen and developed some neuro issues? They may be irreversible but might go away with proper care.

We recommend not leaving food where racoons can get to it at night so as to not attract them.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Have you taken him in? If so (and please do if he's in really bad shape), dark warm and quiet are key.

Perhaps he's fallen and developed some neuro issues? They may be irreversible but might go away with proper care.

We recommend not leaving food where racoons can get to it at night so as to not attract them.
    I'm unable to bring him inside, and he's active enough that only a cage would hold him. I live under the same roof with others who would not be willing to let me do that. The rescue lady told me I could bring him in but she'd immediately euthanize him. I do look for him every day in the morning and afternoon, and if I can find him I bring a water dish close, and place almonds or suet near him. He'll let me get about 4 feet away before he tries to move away from me, so I'm learning how close to get without forcing him to move. On more than one occassion I've seen him apparently sunning, but that is usually interrupted by other squirrels from his nest harrassing him, now that he's being ostracized.

I will remove the food from the ground under the feeders. Can I leave the water dishes? The birds and squirrels are constantly using them. We're having a very dry summer and there's been no rain in weeks.

I feed squirrels and birds and have raccoon issues - there is a nest in a big old elm out in the woods behind the house. Every night I clean up any leftover food (there usually isn't any) and I DUMP MY WATER CONTAINERS. I have a cement bird bath and a decorative glass one and both get dumped and turned upside down at night. Not only does it deprive the raccoons of the water they love to soak food in, it prevents mosquitoes and guarantees that my daytime critters get fresh, clean water every morning.

West Nile also presents itself w/ neurological symptoms. Treatment is mainly supportive care and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I feed squirrels and birds and have raccoon issues - there is a nest in a big old elm out in the woods behind the house. Every night I clean up any leftover food (there usually isn't any) and I DUMP MY WATER CONTAINERS. I have a cement bird bath and a decorative glass one and both get dumped and turned upside down at night. Not only does it deprive the raccoons of the water they love to soak food in, it prevents mosquitoes and guarantees that my daytime critters get fresh, clean water every morning.
    I needed something like that to give me hope there's a way to mitigate this from spreading, so thanks. It's so simple, I would never have thunk it. We were dumping the water in the morning anyway, but what a superb idea to turn them over at night. We don't have mosquito issues, but we have slugs, and they love to gather on the bottom of water containers. This won't make the slugs happy either, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy Squirrel View Post
    West Nile also presents itself w/ neurological symptoms. Treatment is mainly supportive care and hope for the best.
    West Nile was one of the reasons I've been wearing gloves whenever near bird feeders and water dishes. Not that it's been reported near here, it's not. But we get so many migratory birds, I think we're a crossroads for everything. These squirrels know me well, and the older ones aren't afraid of me. They come up behind me when I'm watering and nearly scare me into dropping the hose. The local wildlife rescue lady tells me they an be vicious toward one another, but I've not seen any of that behavior either, until they began ostracizing this sick one a little over a week ago. Even the native Douglas squirrel that dropped in a year ago wasn't harassed particularly. I'm trying to keep him hydrated, but he moves around and I think he's sheltering under low bushes. He can't really climb more than a foot or two without falling. I'm hoping for a miracle, and right now West Nile sounds better than roundworm, thanks.

Hi . Last year there was a squirrel named Dizzy, with the same problem. She was able to get her to the vet and with several treatments she is doing well. She still falls over a lot but is very nice to her squammy. If you are able to keep her long term I will share vet info. Where in the area do you live? I will help any way I can .

Unfortunately, I think that he's unable to house this one for any time. Do you know of anyone who could take him if he trapped?

I will make some calls tomorrow and see if I can work some thing out. It will be late in the day busy at work first thing. I might have two possibility

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Unfortunately, I think that he's unable to house this one for any time. Do you know of anyone who could take him if he trapped?
    I can't find the seriously afflicted one now since the day before yesterday. I've been monitoring the yard pretty carefully for any signs but nothing.

If he were accessible, I don't know anyone who would foster him. This is my first encounter of this kind.

I'll continue below with other bad news about another from the same family that seems to be showing early symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSAREME View Post
    I will make some calls tomorrow and see if I can work some thing out. It will be late in the day busy at work first thing. I might have two possibility
    I see you live very close to me. Thanks for taking an interest but I haven't seen him in two days now.

Now I've been able to make out what appear to be very early symptoms in a family member of the seriously stricken one that I can't find. This one is very active, playful, roughhouses with the others, but now seems to be intermittently wobbly and not sure buy may have tipped off the low stone wall a couple of times this afternoon while I was watching closely. My brother said he thought he saw that a few days ago, but I wasn't sure untile I saw it today.

If there's something that can be done to rescue it I'm interested in helping, but I can't foster. There are two other healthy squirrels (best I can tell) who are part of the same commune. Their nest is in the yard behind mine, but they spend many hours in my yard. Laying a trap may get one, but impossible to know which one it will be.

Did you walk around and look to see if the little guy was on the ground since you said he couldn't climb. Chances are though, if he couldn't get off of the ground, that something got him...

I was unable to find any one that could take him in full time. If you need me to help with a vet I can do that . Got you PM I will call you in a minute. What more can I do to help?

Just got off the phone with ken. He haven't seen this squirrel in a couple days but has another one displaying same symptoms . He will keep a close eye out . I told him if he was going to catch him he would have to be totally prepared. Something to put him in with fleese already inside, gloves, dark quite and warm. He has my phone number incase he decides to catch

Quote Originally Posted by Unikorngrrl View Post
    Did you walk around and look to see if the little guy was on the ground since you said he couldn't climb. Chances are though, if he couldn't get off of the ground, that something got him...
    Yes I beat the bushes, almost literally. Enough noise to alert to my presence as I visually inspect under low-lying branches, etc. But neighbors yards are easily accessible to them, and not me. I estimate he's crawled into a safe space nearby. One neighbor is on vacation, and I've told the other neighbor about all this. Her yard hosts the aged tree that holds their long-standing nest.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSAREME View Post
    Just got off the phone with ken. He haven't seen this squirrel in a couple days but has another one displaying same symptoms . He will keep a close eye out . I told him if he was going to catch him he would have to be totally prepared. Something to put him in with fleese already inside, gloves, dark quite and warm. He has my phone number incase he decides to catch
    Thanks to all the respondents on this forum and your phone call, I feel so much better prepared for the next episode. I'm so grateful for the help, thank you all. I talk to these squirrels, and I'm going to tell them about you.