Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi my name is Charlotte but you can call me Charley!

Default Hi my name is Charlotte but you can call me Charley!

July 13, 2013

HELLO Charlotte and I are new members. I rescued Charlotte when she was a newborn some crows must have plucked her from her nest or she may have fallen out.Anyway she was about to get eaten when I heard her cries for help. She had minor injuriess to her left arm which healed very ncely. Charlotte is now approximatrly 5 months old and OMG is she a hand full. I love her to death and she is terribly spoiled. I want to keep Charlotte as a pet. I get very emotional at just the thought of letting her go I want to know what the SB recommends. She is terrified of the outdoors therefore Im very afraid that she will not be able to make it if I set her free.

Advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU,
    LIZ

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: Hi my name is Charlotte but you can call me Charley!

hi liz and charlotte
    welcome to TSB!

SammysMom is offline Administrator, Conn. Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

Hi Liz, hi Charley! Welcome to TSB! We'd love to see some pictures of CHARLEY!!!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

jbillings Guest

Welcome Liz and Charlotte! You've came to the right place for anything squirrelly! There are many knowledgable, helpful and wonderful squirrel loving folks on this board!

Ha! jbillings has a Charlie too!! and to TSB!!! You will get some different opinions about captive squirrels here, but I think the main idea is that they decide, like it or not, unless they are not releasable b/c of some sort of injury of course. When they start to hit maturity, they either 'wild up' or not! You can attempt to keep her as a pet, as many of us do (I have a non releasable young lady and an male injured wild that we're not quite sure where he's going yet but he's fairly tame considering), but if the time comes she will let you know. The idea is to return as many to the wild as we can, but we all get attached too. Some squirrels just decide they don't want to go, and others turn so wild you don't have a choice. Others with more experience will likely comment, but I think this is what I've gathered from all of my reading.

Firstly, welcome. Secondly, what is her diet? It's super important and something many if not most first time parents get wrong.

As to captivity, yes, they will let you know if they just won't stand for indoor life, but many if not most seem perfectly content and will never have to worry about searing heat, freezing cold, hunger, predators, parasites, etc. Nature is horrible and almost always leads to a terrible end, so if she wants to stay inside, or you can convince her, more power to you. Know though that she will have serious mood swings, especially during heat, and it's hard to ride them out, but most people manage.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Firstly, welcome. Secondly, what is her diet? It's super important and something many if not most first time parents get wrong.

As to captivity, yes, they will let you know if they just won't stand for indoor life, but many if not most seem perfectly content and will never have to worry about searing heat, freezing cold, hunger, predators, parasites, etc. Nature is horrible and almost always leads to a terrible end, so if she wants to stay inside, or you can convince her, more power to you. Know though that she will have serious mood swings, especially during heat, and it's hard to ride them out, but most people manage.
    I started to mention that this would be his stance, but figured I would let him voice it. farrelli says that the only happy squirrels he's ever seen are captive. After that comment I paid attention and he's right. Wilds seem constantly terrified and fighting for territory. My Remy is perfectly happy and just plays and eats and plays and sleeps. No worries whatsoever. for sure, but if it quacks like a duck?!?

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Hi Liz, hi Charley! Welcome to TSB! We'd love to see some pictures of CHARLEY!!!
    Thanks to all of you for your welcomes! This is all nes to us but I am going to try and figure out how to post some pictures of Charley! Just to let you know that Charley is a female when she became a member of our family we thought she was a boy, when we figured out that she was a girl it was too late to change her name so we converted Charlie to Charlotte.

Oh I also wanted to respond tosomeone who asked about Charleys diet. It became really hard when she weaned herself off the formula she became extremely picky. I fed her Esbilac mixed with whipping cream for about 8-10 weeks. I made the big mistake of giving her too much fresh vegies and fruit then she refused to eat the block food. I read articles that Henrys was good for picky eaters so I ordered that and she liked it. She still prefers avocados as her favorite food. I basically give her everything that is recommended on this site.

Thanks, Liz &Charley

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    OMG why does trying to post some pictures have to be so difficult!, will someone plesse explain how to do it in simple english please!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    OMG why does trying to post some pictures have to be so difficult!, will someone plesse explain how to do it in simple english please!
    Are you using a computer (like a laptop or desk top) or a phone, ipad, nook, tablet of some sort? I think it is slightly different for the non-computer devices.

Here is a step by step tutorial that you may find helpful.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-upgraded-TSB

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Hi and Liz and Charley! Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job, especially if you are choosing foods from the Nutrition section. Those veggies and fruit along with block should keep little Charley healthy and bushy tailed.
    Unfortunately wilding up is something that can't be predicted or stopped if it is going to happen. There is plenty of time so don't worry, just enjoy each other. When or if you need any help along the way, health issues or other help, that's what we do here, we will guide you through anything you need.
    Again and keep up the good work.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

HEY LIZ AND CHARLEY!!! TO TSB!!! WE'VE GOT TWO GIRLS ABOUT 4 1/2 MO OLD...I'M TOLD THAT AROUND 6 MO OR SO IS THE FIRST HURDLE (GIVE OR TAKE A FEW WEEKS) NOTHING IS REALLY CERTAIN WITH SQUIRRELS
    " For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

saw your pics in another thread, too big...
    so I resized them and posted them here, in Charleys thread... hope you don't mind!
    Charley is precious!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Your baby is adorable.

Charley is my favorite name, spelled just like that
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

What a cute squirrel.

I think that a squirrel's place is outdoors in the trees under the sky living wild and free. A squirrel will want to mate and is a wild animal.

That being said, the life of a wild squirrel is a hard one, full of danger. I don't blame anyone for keeping a squirrel in a safe forever home. Some squirrels are clearly non-releasable, some seem to prefer living with people and that is fine. Some squirrels will really wild up and want to be released.

There are many, many stories here of squirrels that are released. Some hop right out and never return, others linger and still others prefer not to leave at all.

You will probably get a sense of whether your squirrel is happy and content with you or is more wild and then it will be up to you to choose what kind of life your squirrel will have.

In the big picture, people keeping squirrels as pets is not a bad thing but ideally I think wild animals should be out in the wild. This assumes you have a halfway decent place to release them and that is a big assumption in many places.

i have to post...
    baby bottles/pet nurser's are not ideal in feeding baby sqs...
    the bottles can aspirate baby sqs... a 1 cc syringe is best until the babies are older, when a 3 cc syringe can be used...

Charley and Liz! What a cutie you are Charley.. I just love this picture..look at those little feet and teeth

Sweet sleeping baby...

When I look into the eyes of an animal I do not see an animal. I see a living being, I see a friend. I feel a soul.
    ~ Anthony Douglas Williams

http://mybackyardbuddies.shutterfly.com/

Ohh my goodness is Charley a Foxer ....that would be a plus for ya because I've read that they are generally more docile....which would make keeping her easier I've released squirrels and I have a "kept" lady...she didn't like the outdoors either I released her with two others and she was free for 2 1/2 months...and she appeared terrified the entire time until we brought her back in and she almost appeared to sigh in relief ...that will be two years ago in Sept. Never regretted it and more importantly "she's" never regretted it it scares me tho to think how easily her little life could have been snuffed out during that time

Good Luck!!

PS I'm in the process of releasing 3 now....and if any decide they can't hack it we'll make room But so far all's going well
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

How's Charley?
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast