Thread: MBD

Unhappy MBD

so in case you haven't read about my new arrival, i have a female fox squirrel about 4-5 weeks old, very emaciated, with MBD but i'm not sure how irreversable it is.

first thing i noticed is that her leg bones are dwarfed by the size of her feet. she looks like baby with clown shoes on. second, her legs do seem a bit floppy, and she falls asleep quite often, which i read is a symptom of MBD. she CAN use them however; i've seen her crawl a bit. she just sometimes gets into awkward positions when she curls up and stuff.

does it sound like we can undo the damage? my mom is already thinking about euthanasia if this squirrel doesn't get better, but i remain optimistic.
    let me know, cause this is a whole new situation to me.

stay nutty
    thundersquirrel

sparkysmom Guest

Default Re: MBD

Talk to Nutz about it, we had one with all the symptoms of MBD and she helped us tremendously. We used ensure and changed diet and Dolly is most definitely a survivor. But I stress talking to Chris (Nutz) about it. She can help. Good Luck

Exclamation Re: MBD

Sorry to hear the sad news about the baby. I suggest you call Chris at www.squirrelsandmore.com she is a rehabber. Very highy recommended and also has the products you may need. She helped Squirlgirl with her boy P.P. Ronie he had MDB and he is going to released soon. Full recovery!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Nutz4squirrels is the same person I was talking about. Her real name is Chris!
    Rebecca <
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

nutz4squirls Guest

Hi Thundersquirrel, if your squirrel is only 4-5 weeks old than he would only be crawling anyways. If he came in dehydrated and weak than he probably just needs lots of tlc, which consists of proper hydration, proper forumula which would be Esbilac. You should be giving pedialyte often in between formula feedings. Please check out this link if read carefully if you haven't already done so. You'll also be able to get a good idea on age from this link. Chris http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/category.cfm?Category=9

Mari Guest

I have to agree with Secret. Chris really is the expert. I take a lot of what I read and hear with a grain of salt. I was fortunate enough to attend a conference in NJ and hear Chris speak - she really is known as the "Squirrel Lady" by her peers for a reason. I've been following her written advice and haven't lost one yet. Thanks Chris!

Arrow MBD Pictures

okay, so maybe i shouldn't worry, cause it's reversable? here are pics.

stay nutty
    thundersquirrel
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Awwwww..she's a cutie. Chris, to my "newbie rehabber" eye this baby looks skinny but normal - - am I right? I've got a lot to learn, too.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

She looks good to me too, the legs look ok,their feet are huge at this age. It lookes kind of funny..I love the feet, until the Ginsiu claws get ya!!
    She is so sweet and kissable!!! I know you will take good care of her !
    Rebecca <

Wink Re: MBD

awww, the claws are my favorite part. a human finger can fit perfectly into a squirrel paw/claw, it's a fact.

she is pretty kissable, but i'm holding back because of the fleas. i'm pretty sure they're all gone, but you never know. lol

we need a sibling. she loves the rice buddy, so i can only imagine how happy a little friend would make her.

we need a smiley that looks exhausted. that's what rehabbers are like most of the time.
    stay nutty
    thundersquirrel
    p.s. if you guys think her legs look OK, then i'm not too worried. maybe her leg bones are thin because she's emaciated, too. still, i'm gonna keep an extra eye on her over spring break....

Thundersquirrel, she is a sweetheart. Looks like you are doing a super job. :nurse Keep us posted on her progress and like to see pictures as she grows.

CliffordandDaisy'sDad Guest

ts, here's Daisy at about the same age. I think you have a hungry, but healthy baby there.