Thread: Squirrel Shaking

Exclamation Squirrel Shaking

I’ve had this baby squirrel for about a week now, he is 6 weeks old, he has been eating very well and active the whole time I’ve had him.

Last night I came home from work and he was shaking, super dehydrated, lethargic, barely eating, and he was moving around like he had a head injury. The cage I have him in is a rat cage with lots of blankets and soft spaces. I found him curled up in the corner under a bed in the blanket. He was cold to the touch and I instantly knew something was wrong. I rehydrated him, fed him some food, and heated him up.

This morning he is doing a lot better! He is much more active! He is still slightly shaking though and his tail isn’t as perky as it was before.

Does anyone know what could’ve happened? What should I do to help him now?

My house isn’t cold and he has been fine when I’ve left him alone for periods of time this past week.

Default Re: Squirrel Shaking

Is he alone all day? At six weeks, he still needs to be formula fed several times a day. I also keep supplemental heat available to them at this age. This sounds sort of like a hypoglycemic issue - didn't get food when he needed it and started to spiral down. At this age, he would still be inside the nest, being smacked by his mama if he even tried to peek out, being nursed for his only food source, and totally dependent on his mama. He isn't any where near ready to be entirely self feeding, even if he has started nibbling blocks.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (03-13-2022), stepnstone (03-13-2022)

Default Re: Squirrel Shaking

I see you’re in Florida. Do you need assistance? There are several members here that can help if needed.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (03-13-2022)