Thread: No interest in fruits or veggies

Laura Wingfield Guest

Default No interest in fruits or veggies

My little guy is approx. 7 1/2 weeks old. He was about 4 1/2 weeks old when one of the guys doing tree work in our yard brought him to me. Lots of men walking around, chainsaws, etc. so waiting to see if Mama showed up wasn't an option. Successful with Esbilac Goats milk. He was crawling all over me and we were really bonding. Then, about a week ago I moved him to a bigger cage. He totally freaked. Only today have I been able to re-establish physical contact with him. What steps can I take to get him to trust me again? Also, I have been introducing him to fruits and veggies but he shows NO interest in them. I'm feeding rodent blocks, but he only takes a nibble every now and then. How do I get veggies into his diet? And last, but certainly not least, what is the best source of calcium for my little guy?

Default Re: No interest in fruits or veggies

The best source of calcium right now is the proper formula. After he weans himself calcium is supplied by a rodent block.

Esbilac puppy with pre and pro biotics or Fox Valley 20/50 are the proper formulas.
    These are are the preferred block .Please do not try to add fruits or vegetables untill he is eating the block well, not just nibbling at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

cava (02-25-2018), Mel1959 (02-25-2018), ScrappyDo (02-25-2018)

A 7.5 week old is still very young. Formula should be the primary diet. Block is introduced at about 6 weeks. I cut the block in half because they waste a lot at that age. They crumble it, nibble it, suck it and play with it but they do eat some. I wouldn't introduce veggies until the block is being eaten. I then start with kale. I add veggies one at a time. You could add broccoli, healthy lettuces, sugar snap peas, etc. I don't give fruit to babies. Fruits have a lot of sugar. Squirrels, like us have a sweet tooth. If they are hooked on fruit sugar they won't eat the healthy foods. One other thing... never give a baby a nut. It creates a 'picky eater' monster. Plus, nuts are very unhealthy.

The cage for a 7.5 week old should be a small cage. Add plenty of fleece and a small wooden nest box or hanging cube or hammock. They are a fall risk at that age so a tall cage is a dangerous. They need a place to retreat to when they are afraid. One other thing, babies around 8 weeks old go through a 'spooked' stage. Everything spooks them and sends them fleeing. You reach in to pick them up, like you always have, and they spook like they have never seen you. It will pass.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (02-27-2018), ScrappyDo (02-25-2018)

The immature "baby" leafy greens of lettuces, Chicory, and Bok choy, are less bitter.

To feed them try blanching these for a couple of minutes, as this it reduces their bitter taste.

OK I missed the age. So wait on those greens til your squirrel weans after you have introduced the block diet, just as HRT4SQRLS wrote.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.