Thread: Buddy's Left Hand... :(

Default Buddy's Left Hand... :(

Hi everyone,

With Buddy being more active; eating solids and running around, I noticed that he doesn't use his left hand fully, like his right hand. He can firmly hold things with his right hand but it's kind of loose and less coordinated with the left one.

Here's a short video that I took this morning: https://youtu.be/8VwOIssmyxI

This is the same side as his problem eye... maybe when he fell from the tree he hit his left side (eye and hand)?

Do you guys think that it will heal / get stronger in time? If not, will this be a problem with his release? We're keeping him with us over winter to give him a better chance.

Thank you!

Default Re: Buddy's Left Hand... :(

He clearly is well loved.

Squirrels are very resilient. There is a squirrel that had no tail that lived in my yard for years. She schooled any squirrels that would come to try to give her any grief. She zoomed through the trees. I called her Stubie. (I know that isn't politically correct.)

Developing brains are very neuro-plastic, more so than adult brains. If there is damage in one area, functions get rewired to other sections of the brain.

I think he will learn to deal with any lingering challenges just fine. He has a very rich and varied, safe environment in which to practice getting about in the world. Much more so than he would if he were in nest, because he would remain there for weeks longer then would have to worry about long falls and predators while he got things figured out.

Soon enough you won't be able to keep up with him.

He looks great.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-10-2020)

That's SO great to hear! Thank you so much!!

Yes, we all love him so very much! We all think he is amazing (but aren't they all?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    He clearly is well loved.

Squirrels are very resilient. There is a squirrel that had no tail that lived in my yard for years. She schooled any squirrels that would come to try to give her any grief. She zoomed through the trees. I called her Stubie. (I know that isn't politically correct.)

Developing brains are very neuro-plastic, more so than adult brains. If there is damage in one area, functions get rewired to other sections of the brain.

I think he will learn to deal with any lingering challenges just fine. He has a very rich and varied, safe environment in which to practice getting about in the world. Much more so than he would if he were in nest, because he would remain there for weeks longer then would have to worry about long falls and predators while he got things figured out.

Soon enough you won't be able to keep up with him.

He looks great.
    I love hearing all these sweet, success stories, and stories with happy endings...

I know we will miss Buddy dearly when it's time to release; but we'll also be so happy for him; enjoying freedom and living life to its fullest!

The hand issue could have a more recent cause.

Always be on the look out for materials in which his nails seem to catch regularly. (These could be articles of your clothing as well.) If so, removed such items from his environment. Their momentum takes them one way and their paw remains stuck back that away. The injury can be like a sprained wrist. Worst case scenario they end up dangling from one finger, which isn't good for anyone.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-10-2020)

Thanks! I'll review all the materials... We have only fleece in his cage, but he has some toys, wooden bridges etc. too... Should I remove all that for the time being?

This is just so hard and stressful... I have 2 kids myself (10 & 12) and I don't remember questioning everything while raising them as much as I do with this little guy!

Here's the bridge he has in his cage... he hasn't been too interested yet, but I put it there so he can practice agility... Should I remove it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PO39I4/

[Addition] I thought that the strings can cause problems so I removed it.

Yes, it is very stressful. At least with kids they are pretty immobile to start with, allowing one some time to get things figured out. Squirrels can get into stuff that you young children never could have. On numerous occasions I thought, "She can't get to that surface/location."

Wrong. So I discovered when I came back to her room later. She tried and tried until she figured out a way how to do so. Not only can they get to anywhere, they aren't afraid to try crazy stuff to get there. They can move blindingly fast. "Look before you leap." doesn't apply to them.

They will look everywhere in their environment looking for sources of food. That is trouble. It is what instinct has them do. (I have a ton of stuff stored in the attic.) They will chew into a container to see if it might contain food because it looks similar to other containers that do contain food.

They have an amazing sense of smell. Sniffing my pockets even though it had been hours since there was a nut in a shell there. You can see them changing course as they pick up scents.

They are keen observers and learn to associate sounds with things. "Ah, that is the sound of the drawer where they keep food. Ready or not, here I come." If there are five apples on the table and the first one didn't taste to their liking, they will take a bite out of the other four. They aren't very good at distinguishing between your food and their food.

Yeah, I think Buddy should probably stay on the ground until his balance gets better. Low objects are okay. He will endeavor to do what is currently beyond his capabilities. (Yes, that is how we all learn.) Caution just isn't their forte in certain regards.

Eventually they start spontaneously doing crazy jumps and rolls. I wondered at first if she was have seizures. Nope, just practicing escape and evasion skills, which are what prevent them from becoming some other creature's lunch.

They have excellent 3 D maps mental maps and I try to leave objects in the same locations so they don't leap into the void as they speed about.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-11-2020)

Thank you for all this! Great info/tips! Yes, I noticed that Buddy doing more jumps, somersaults, climbing...

I'll do my best to provide a safe environment and keep a close eye on him, for sure!