Thread: Mint-green poop

kurmugn Guest

Question Mint-green poop

I have a male Western Gray Squirrel, about 3-4 weeks old, and weighs 100-grams. In the last couple of days, his feces were a pale mint-green in color. The feces are well-formed pellets. He eats eagerly.
    A microscopic exam does not reveal any giardia or other ova or parasites. I initially expected giardia, but none was detected on two separate days. He is being fed Fox Valley for under 4-weeks age.
    Any experience with this same issue?

Default Re: Mint-green poop

What are you feeding him? Lots of food will change poop colors. We had a member who fed multi-colored parrot pellets to her squirrel and he, well, he pooped rainbows! I swear - I am very serious here. Is he eating anything the same color you are seeing? This includes the little calcum treat things you get at the pet store..

kurmugn Guest

This squirrel is being rehabbed. He is being fed Fox Valley 32/40 exclusively. We treat our squirrels seriously, therefore would never give multi-colored foods to babies.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I would run another fecal, coccidia is hard to see under a scope.

3-4 weeks old - missed that, sorry. As I am sure you know, FV poop is usually golden brown. Was this a sudden change or gradual?

Kwewu7 Guest

I don't know if this will help you, but I just recently experienced this in a Cottontail rabbit. It was suggested to me that the gallbladder might have suffered an insult.

I have actually seen the mint-green poops in babies once or twice; almost as if the normal olive green-beige is washed out to a mint color. IMHO if the poops are well-formed and not wet, this is nothing to worry about. Giardia will cause diarrhea along with the strange grey-green color, I believe.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Members who have read this thread: 1