Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help, I need some suggestions, I'm at a loss please.

Default Help, I need some suggestions, I'm at a loss please.

About two and half weeks ago I found my squirrel sleeping on my bed where she always sleeps. I checked on her and saw that her nose was swollen I don't know how this happened but I think she hit her nose. I gave her metacam for the swelling and the swelling went down but now she has white discharge and puffy eyes and also her ears are bothering her. The right ear started out bothering her shortly after the injury 2 weeks ago and now both of her ears are bothering her. She itches them and tilts her head to the right, the ear that started bothering her first. I started her on baytril 3 days ago and her nose is so congested that it is hard for her to eat. Also she has been having bloat for a couple days and when I rub her belly the bloat goes down. I also started her on childrens benadryl today for congestion. She is a year old fox squirrel that I had since she was two weeks. Can someone please help me she is miserable.

Default Re: Help, I need some suggestions, I'm at a loss please.

Can you tell us where you live? Town and state would be best. It would be nice if she could be seen firsthand by a friendly vet or rehabber...

I live in grand rapids michigan. No vets will see her here and the rehabbers will only help if I hand her over.

OK, first, is she getting any kind of probiotics? Antibiotics kill the GOOD bacteria in the gut that digest food, this may be why she is havng bloat/cramping. You can see if she will take some yogurt; if not, pic up some Benebac at any chain pet store - it is sold in little foil packs in the aisle with pocket pet stuff. Do not heat the probiotics - you can warm the yogurt to about 105-110 for feeding but no higher or the good bacteria will be killed.

We need some info about your squirrel - this may be elsewhere but lets consolidate it here.

How old is she? How long have you had her?

Please tell us her diet - everything she eats.

Does she have any other issues healthwise? Like is she neurologically damaged or physically handicapped in any way?

You will get attention in this thread. Try to answer all the questions - since we can't SEE her we need you to be our eyes.

OK, first, is she getting any kind of probiotics? Yes I give her proviable its a probiotic. Also she HATES yogurt, I will buy some benebac. For the benebac do you get the powder or gel?

How old is she? How long have you had her? She is a year old and I've had her since she was 2 weeks.

Please tell us her diet - everything she eats. carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, peach, pear, lettuce, celary,cherry, blueberry, Cherry tamato, henry block, penuts.

Does she have any other issues healthwise? Like is she neurologically damaged or physically handicapped in any way? She was totally fine prior to the accident which I don't know what happened.

You will get attention in this thread. Try to answer all the questions - since we can't SEE her we need you to be our eyes.

That probiotic is fine. I usually use the benebac powder just because it is easy to hide in other foods but what you are giving is fine so no need to switch.

Lots more people here at night plus it is the weekend. You will get some eyes on this - keep an eye on the thread.

Does she go out at all or is she strictly a house squirrel?

It seems reasonable to think that the damage to the nose and the sinus stuff and ears are linked one frequently aggravates the other. All the questions I keep asking are trying to rule other things out.

CritterMom.....I just wanted you to know that I have been in contact with devmorales123 myself and trying to come up with answers to what could have happened.
    I think the thing that has me stumped is that she is on Baytril now for 3 days and the other ear is starting to itch.
    I also suggested that a cool humidifier should be added to her room, which she has.
    I looked up some info on a rat site and found this.
    http://ratguide.com/health/auricle_e...yrinthitis.php

Just wanted some thoughts on the aritcle above.

How long should she give with the Baytril before switching abs. or stacking them?

This is above me, I'm stumped......and I know that any help is greatly appreciated.

I asked about the going outside wondering about mycos but it just seems more likely that something got hurt in there...baytril is usually pretty fast so if it isn't working yet I wonder that it shouldn't be changed to a different or additional abx.

Has she had any ear drops of any kind?

She has not had any ear drops because I don't know what kind to give her and what type of ear flush should be recommended for relief.

Crittermom no she does not go outside. Shes been outside twice and freaked out and wanted back in the house as soon as possible.

She has been on AB for 4 days now and her nose is so congested that its hard for her to eat and drink and also her eyes look bulgy and both of her ears are bothering her now. This is very strange I don't no whats going on I need help. Please any suggestions on what might be happening.

Is it Amoxi? Might she be having an allergic reaction? Maybe benedryl might help? Any members have any thoughts on that?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    Is it Amoxi? Might she be having an allergic reaction? Maybe benedryl might help? Any members have any thoughts on that?
    I can answer that she is on injectable baytril. She has been sent Baytril tablets with instructons on how to dose, along with the guide from WBM just for reference.

Is there a chance that Benedryl might help since it sounds itchy?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

She is on benadryl now.

So does anyone have any feelings about prednisone? I keep going back to the nose injury...and wondering if there is internal swelling that is pressing on and aggravating the sinuses.

Prednisone is a pretty commonly prescribed drug for upper respiratory issues and for muscle injuries - it is usually dosed in a decending manner - day one you take 5 or 6 of them day 2 a few less, day 3 less than that - they come in little blister packs in 4mg or 5mg size pills. Why don't you see if anyone you know has some = people often don't finish all of them because they work so well...

Is she still on the metacam? What all is she getting now - we know baytril and benadryl - anything else??

I haven't had a chance to give her the benadryl since I bought some yesterday. She seems to hate it more than the baytril. Maybe I can mix the benadryl with something sweet like I do with the baytril. Do you think the benadryl will take the itchy ear and congestion away and puffy eyes??

This should be children's benadryl - and it is available as a sweet tasting syrup. I would get some of that - it is the dosing we have info for plus it already tastes good.

I have no metacam left but I have Predisone 20mg and 50mg. I havent gave her the benadryl yet because she hates it I'm going to try adding flavor like I do with the baytril. And also her congestion has never been this bad until the last 2 days and her eye are bulgy looking which they never were before and both ears now too. This boggles my mind I have no idea whats going on.

I have the childrens 12mg/5ml cherry flavor. I tasted it and it is bitter. I should of gotten a different flavor.

Just throwing this out there since I don't see it mentioned...
    What condition are her teeth? Too long could cause so many of the same symptoms.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast