Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help, I need some suggestions, I'm at a loss please.

Default Re: Help, I need some suggestions, I'm at a loss please.

Quote Originally Posted by devmorales123
    She has free range of the upstairs which is my room, her room I always leave her door open so that she can come in my room if she likes. She sleeps in my room at night. When I found her she had to rings of blood around her nose holes with a swollen nose. And I'm not sure how far Chicago is from me. I took her off the liquid baytril but I have her on the pill baytril. I know she is not allergic to baytril because she was on it before. It is only that particular liquid baytril for some reason because that's when all of the other things started happening and everything got worse when starting that baytril.

OK, well, that is as close to a smoking gun as we are likely to get - it sounds like she took a nose first fall. That means that her problems are likely related to injury rather than an infection of some kind. A bad enough infection *could* result in blood being blown out her nose but that wouldn't appear so suddenly - she would have been showing sick symptoms, not being fine and then BAM, bloody nose.

I am thinking that she probably has some injuries in there causing the other symptoms.

Have you given her the benadryl? It may make her sleepy.

I am wondering if the white spot in the mouth is thrush...from the antibiotics killing off the beneficial gut bacteria and allowing a yeast overgrowth. Happens to people, too. I would get her on yogurt or benebac or some other probiotic ASAP.

Does anyone else think that stopping the Baytril might be okay? It seems like it should have at least begun to clear the symptoms up by now. It seems like it is so much more likely that it is an injury.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I got the baytril from this site. http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newpr...s/baytril.html
    I haven't checked any cords but I will check around. Do you think she Is having symptoms of being electrocuted?

Have you given her the benadryl? Yes I gave her the benadryl.

Since it is so late I cant go to a pet store but can I give her flavored yogurt with fruit in it?

Do you think that the the thrush will go away when I start giving her the good bacteria. How do you take away thrush?

She sure can - she might like it more than unflavored. I usually grab the Stoneyfield Yobaby just cause it is full fat - but it is flavored. You just want the probiotics in it.

Cords are always an issue but no, she does not sound like an electrocution - there is almost always two injury sites - the mouth, which sometimes has char marks and somplace else - where the electricity went to ground. I think she jumped and missed, either slamming into something or falling on her face.

Do you think that the the thrush will go away when I start giving her the good bacteria. How do you take away thrush?
    First, I don't know it is thrush. But sudden white spots showing up in the mouth while taking antibiotics is often thrush. It is a yeast infection - the yeast is always in your body but the gut bacteria keeps it in check. Antibiotics kill the gut bacteria. If she is in generally good health, replacing that bacteria will give her body a chance to deal with this without further meds.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    Does anyone else think that stopping the Baytril might be okay? It seems like it should have at least begun to clear the symptoms up by now. It seems like it is so much more likely that it is an injury.
    I totally agree with you about it just seeming like an injury, however there is an odor from the drainage out of her nose. I asked devmorales about an odor, and she said yes there is, and she herself gets sinus infections herself, and she knows what the odor is like. And her squirrel has that odor in her discharge.
    I wonder if the ab she got were the problem? I have never used injectable myself, but she has the good stuff now.

I got her to eat a quarter of a teaspoon of yogurt do you think that is enough? The injury did happen about 2 and half weeks ago so do you think hat was enough time to develop a infection? And how long should I give the baytril for I still have no idea about that?

It's enough to start. Keep trying and get some benebac tomorrow - I like the powder just because it doesnt seem to have any flavor so you can hide it in ANYTHING. Baytril is usually 5-7 days I think.

I will buy the benebac tomorrow. What if the baytril doesn't take the infection away its been 4 days now. Nancy found a article that had the same symptoms that Rosie has been having and it said to give long term treatment of 3 to 6 weeks.

CritterMom is correct with 5-7 days for Baytril. It says that on the page that I pm'd you. It also says that if a longer course is needed, switch to another antibiotic.
    So my question now would be do we include the other Baytril that she had in with the 5-7 days? How long was she on the other Baytril?

. Nancy found a article that had the same symptoms that Rosie has been having and it said to give long term treatment of 3 to 6 weeks.
    Do you happen to have that link? I can't seem to find it?

OK I found it. I was looking around the internet the other day, trying to come up with answers, and I stumbled across this. Granted it's for rats, but I sent it to dev. because the symptoms sound similar.

http://ratguide.com/health/auricle_e...yrinthitis.php

The liquid injection she was on for 3 days and I started the pills today.

Does anyone possibly know of any vets that will see her around where I live that will be okay with seeing a squirrel and giving her back.

If the injectable Baytril is being given orally, it must be diluted by at least 2x with sterile water or some liquid flavoring like apple juice or something else. It can cause severe burns if not diluted. I have seem this happen several times. Just a thought.... If given as an injectable it will also cause severe burns if not diluted with a sterile injectable diluent.

Marty

Marty might that be what the white marks in her mouth are?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I drew up 0.04 in a syrnge and I diluted that with that same amount of 0.04cc. Does that sound okay? She is now on the pills that is diluted with 10cc of water. The white spots in the mouth did look like burn spots. I explained that is what it looked like earlier in the forum so maybe I wasn't diluting it enough. Could the injectable baytril also cause other symptoms like severe congestion and ear irritation?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast