Thread: stress relief

Default stress relief

I was on this board few years ago with my baby squirel Rocky. I have not had a squirel since. But i am a foster care home for our local cat rescue and I have a kitty that needs your help.

I remember that there was somthing that was used for squirels that helped with stress. It was somthing to put on their nose and feet I think and it helped them to calm down and relax. I would like to know what this product is. I have a kitty that is a nervous wreck and I want to help him and I think this stress relief product may help.

Please can some one tell me what it is and were I can get it quickly?

mary

Default Re: stress relief

Rescue Remedy. Not sure about for cats but great for squirrels.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Thank you thats it..can you tell me were i can get it?

Almost any health food store will have it - also places like Whole Foods. My local supermarket sells it in the "Natural Foods" section.

great thank you so much! I will try to find it for my foster boy..he sure needs it.

I am a cat person... How old is the cat and what is his story?

He is about 7-8 months. he is healthy but he is afraid of everything and if anyone touches him he acts like he is being beat, he cowers and closes his eyes like he is terrified. We dont know his background but he is obviously very traumatized.

I have had great luck with "forced affection". Totally ignoring the cowering etc. and scratching behind the ears and stroking the body. Eventually they really do grow used to it and begin to look forward to it. I would put the cat either on my lap, facing away from me ad spend 15 minutes or so just showing physical affection. I keep them in a small area like a bathroom where I can get hold of them without a big chase. Chasing makes it so much worse, but you MUST force affection on them in order to get them to come around. Good luck. He is lucky to have you to help him through this.

You can also get rescue remedy from Henry's (the same place you get blocks for squirrels) it can be used on pretty much any animal (even people use it)

I agree with Sammysmom on the forced affection, but perhaps before going right for holding them down and petting them, try to instigate play. A peice of yarn or the toy that has feathers attached to an elastic string on a pole would work great. Cats have a high prey drive and if you can get them to play, they usually forget about what is stressing them out. Playing with them alsol ets the cat see you in a nonthreatening way. Play with him on his level (lay down) to him you probably seem like a giant scary thing and making yourself less daunting by becoming smaller in his eyes might help relieve some stress. At first play with him so he is at a comfortable distance from you and them slowly while playing use the toy to bring him in closer so that he is near you and can realize that you mean him no harm. After he becomes more comfortable around I would start forcing affection on him but only for a short amount of time, then go back to playing. Eventually you can start lengthening the time you pet him and he should start responding in a positive manor. Also treats work wonders. Always offer treats during play time and especially during affection time so he sees it as a positive experience. I found a feral cat when it was around 6 months old and that's how I won her over. She was the same way and mean as hell but now she's lovable and cuddly
    Started thinking about what you said; about me obsessing; started obsessing about obsessing. - Dr. House