Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Northern Virginia Rehabber needed!

Exclamation Help! Northern Virginia Rehabber needed!

Hello. I have a baby squirrel that I've had about 3 weeks. A neighbor found him at work and took him home and was feeding him nuts and water, when he started getting sick he brought him to me and told me what he had been doing, I took him in and was feeding and nursing him back to health. He's around 5 weeks old. I have been feeding him goat's milk. I had chimpmunks and a raccoon when I was younger and that's always what my mom used. He was doing well and eating good, his intake and outtake was good. He was even nibbling on a few soft fruits and veggies. He was crawling when I got him and last week started using one leg but not the other. My aunt works for the animal shelter in md and has a relationship with a vet who looked at his legs and said they weren't broken or fractured. He's 2 hours away, I live in the city in Va. This morning Groucho was very quiet and not moving much, he even got mad at me and bit me, hard! That's a first, it seems like it came out of nowhere. I did some research and also talked to my aunt and got some calcium tablets to give him. Before I got ready to feed him, he had what looked like me to be a seizure. I crushed up the pills and put them in his milk. I fed him and he seems more energetic but I'm looking for some advice. I called the vet but of course they are closed today. Is there anything else I can do, or should do?

Default Re: Help!

Thank you for saving him and finding TSB! Welcome!

The goats milk isn't meant to be a long lasting formula. You'll want powdered Esbilac puppy formula with Probiotics & Prebiotics. Don't get the canned stuff or the one without pro/pre.

Name:  petag-esbilac-powder-puppy-milk-replacer.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  166.3 KB

Can you post some pictures of him? Also, what are you using to feed him with and what type of container is he in?

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieJean View Post
    Hello. I have a baby squirrel that I've had about 3 weeks. A neighbor found him at work and took him home and was feeding him nuts and water, when he started getting sick he brought him to me and told me what he had been doing, I took him in and was feeding and nursing him back to health. He's around 5 weeks old. I have been feeding him goat's milk. I had chimpmunks and a raccoon when I was younger and that's always what my mom used. He was doing well and eating good, his intake and outtake was good. He was even nibbling on a few soft fruits and veggies. He was crawling when I got him and last week started using one leg but not the other. My aunt works for the animal shelter in md and has a relationship with a vet who looked at his legs and said they weren't broken or fractured. He's 2 hours away, I live in the city in Va. This morning Groucho was very quiet and not moving much, he even got mad at me and bit me, hard! That's a first, it seems like it came out of nowhere. I did some research and also talked to my aunt and got some calcium tablets to give him. Before I got ready to feed him, he had what looked like me to be a seizure. I crushed up the pills and put them in his milk. I fed him and he seems more energetic but I'm looking for some advice. I called the vet but of course they are closed today. Is there anything else I can do, or should do?
    The goat's milk should be used only as a temporary formula.

This does sound like a calcium deficiency issue to me... here is the treatment protocol:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ted-3-31-09%29

Here are more tips concerning baby squirrel care:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Squirrel-Care

He will need Esbilac Puppy Formula, the powdered kind with Pre and Pro Biotics, the third ingredient will be "dried whey protein concentrate":

How often are you feeding this little one?

We have members in Virgina, if you would like us to find someone in your area that can help let us know you general location and we'll get the word out someone is needing assistance!

for helping this little one! And to TSB!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Sounds like your baby is suffering from metabolic bone disease (MBD). It's serious--caused by not enough calcium in his diet. It's painful--think grama with severe osteo arthritis. There's protocals for fixing it but it takes time to reverse. It CAN be reversed tho. There's detailed instructions right here on TSB. He needs calcium. Right away get some Tums in him. Crush one in some water and get it in--check the MBD section. Those instructions have saved a LOT of squirrels. Don't think just because he feels better in the short run, he's all better. MBD is diatary so read and heed. You're a good squirrel mommy and you can fix your baby. Just gotta do it NOW. Smarter folks than I am will help get your baby straight. Spanky has already given you great advice. Normally I'm in Richmond and am always happy to help. Alas, right now I'm 1,000 miles away in Fairfield Iowa. Kiss your sweetie for me

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The goat's milk should be used only as a temporary formula.

This does sound like a calcium deficiency issue to me... here is the treatment protocol:

Here are more tips concerning baby squirrel care:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Squirrel-Care

He will need Esbilac Puppy Formula, the powdered kind with Pre and Pro Biotics, the third ingredient will be "dried whey protein concentrate":

How often are you feeding this little one?

We have members in Virgina, if you would like us to find someone in your area that can help let us know you general location and we'll get the word out someone is needing assistance!

for helping this little one! And to TSB!

Thanks for the repsonses. I am feeding him every 3 hours, even overnight. I tried to order the fox valley squirrel formula but I haven't received my email to purchase it yet. The only reason I did not purchase the puppy formula is because I read some very bad reviews on a few sites. I didn't know about this board until I was chatting with a lady from a mutual fb group mentioned it. I am feeding him out of a dropper with a nipple in it. Are there any rescues in or around Northern Va? The rescue my aunt's job is working with is one lady and she has so many animals, I was kind of grossed out walking around the place. I didn't feel like I should leave him there. I do have pictures but I can't seem to upload them here from my phone. Since I gave him the calcium in his milk he seems to be more active now. I just want to make sure he is ok until I can get him to the vet.

Below is the protocol for treating mbd, it is a continuing process with the calcium.

As stated mbd is painful and allowing for pain management helps in promoting healing.
    He can be given children's liquid Ibuprofen/ motrin but we will need a weight to dose as
    all medications are dosed according to weight of squirrel.

Formula is also fed per feeding by weight of squirrel feeding between 5-7% of body weight.
    Droppers, bottles are not suggested for feeding. I would suggest getting a 1cc syringe for
    feeding formula to avoid aspiration. Most drug stores will give one a 1cc syringe (without needle)
    if you ask and tell them you are administering to a sick kitten. Do not mention you are in possesion
    of a squirrel as in most States they are illegal to keep and yes, even if treating or nurturing back to
    health.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

The only reason I did not purchase the puppy formula is because I read some very bad reviews on a few sites. I didn't know about this board until I was chatting with a lady from a mutual fb group mentioned it.
    The powdered Esbilac Puppy formula (not the liquid) pictured above is the only puppy formula available here in the USA that the squirrel will thrive on!

I just want to make sure he is ok until I can get him to the vet.
    Be cautious about taking him to a vet that you do not know. They will sometimes confiscate and euthanize squirrels if you are not a licensed rehabber! If we locate a member in your area and get you inn communication, they may be able to help with vets recommendations.

Are there any rescues in or around Northern Va?
    Maybe Step or one of the other Admins can change the title of your thread to draw more attention from members in your area, something like:
    “Help! Rehabber needed in Virginia (Northern)”

Thank you so much for your advice. I am afraid of taking him to any vet but the one that my aunt had a relationship with because my neighbors have brought me many babies, it's just not possible to drive 2 hours there and back in time. I work from home but I still have to work. That is a good idea about changing the name. I will have to look, I'm new so I'm not sure if I can edit or an admin has too. I got calcium tablets from Wal-Mart, that I read on here is good, I crushed it and put it in with his milk; I did get the formula like suggested, and he doesn't seem to taste it that way. He seems perkier and not miserable like this morning and he also has not had an episode since I've been giving him the calciun. I am relieved but I know we're not in the clear yet. The kit for MBD in the link that was commented above, is that the best one to gwt? I don't want to get the wrong thing, or even if u need something to go with it. I appreciate all the help and advice from you all. I would like to add I'm not caring for him because I want a pet, I have many of those, I am doing it because he needs help and the area I live in people don't seem to give 2 hoots about animals, even some of these so called rescues are terrible. I was raised w all kinds of animals and hate to see any suffer. He is super cute and want to or not I have become attached to him and he has also to me, but that's just a bonus! :-) I really appreciate the support. I was worrying myself silly. I did manage to add a photo but it's from now, I can't seem to add one from my gallery, will try again later.

Default Re: Help! Northern Virginia Rehabber needed!

I just changed the title of your thread, if you want it changed to something else, just pm me.

The kit for MBD in the link that was commented above, is that the best one to gwt? I don't want to get the wrong thing, or even if u need something to go with it. I appreciate all the help and advice from you all.
    I am uncertain which link for MBD kit you are referring... there is one on Henry's Healthy Pets, but that includes some supplements that are needed when the squirrel is not able to eat solids. That "kit" is targeted for adult pet squirrels that are so weakened they will need not only calcium but protein shakes and other liquid supplements.

If you guy is eating the Esbilac okay, which will have the protein and other nutritional needs, you can order the calcium carbonate powder:
    http://www.henryspets.com/calcium-carbonate-powder/

The shipping is flat rate and given the age of your little guy, I would also order some HHB (Henry's Healthy Block) which is formulated specifically for squirrels (not rats, not Primates but squirrels!). And squirrels actually find them good tasting. It is the first solids we introduce and after they are eating the block they get started on veggies. The correct formula when they are young and then 2 HHB's per day after they wean are the guarantee against MBD!

Thank you. Yes I think this was the link from above that I clicked on. It was around $36? I ordered squirrel bars a few weeks ago but they are very hard once they dried, so he can't quite eat them just yet. I will order this tonight. He is eating pretty well I believe, about 3 cc's every 3 hours. I just fed him and he looked for more but I'm afraid to over feed him. Is this about the correct amount he should be eating?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I am uncertain which link for MBD kit you are referring... there is one on Henry's Healthy Pets, but that includes some supplements that are needed when the squirrel is not able to eat solids. That "kit" is targeted for adult pet squirrels that are so weakened they will need not only calcium but protein shakes and other liquid supplements.

If you guy is eating the Esbilac okay, which will have the protein and other nutritional needs, you can order the calcium carbonate powder:
    http://www.henryspets.com/calcium-carbonate-powder/

The shipping is flat rate and given the age of your little guy, I would also order some HHB (Henry's Healthy Block) which is formulated specifically for squirrels (not rats, not Primates but squirrels!). And squirrels actually find them good tasting. It is the first solids we introduce and after they are eating the block they get started on veggies. The correct formula when they are young and then 2 HHB's per day after they wean are the guarantee against MBD!

Does this look like the correct things I need? Thanks! :-)

Thank you so much! :-)
    QUOTE=Nancy in New York;1123617]I just changed the title of your thread, if you want it changed to something else, just pm me. [/QUOTE]

Does this look like the correct things I need? Thanks! :-)
    Syringes, do you have syringes ? They sell Miracle O-Ring syringes that are great, they do not get sticky after repeated use. I have never used the silicon nipples, but have always had good luck with the miracle nipples.

With the HHB, store them in the freezer and only remove a couple every day to thaw to feed. The bag will last about a month (otherwise, they will mold within days).

THe is eating pretty well I believe, about 3 cc's every 3 hours. I just fed him and he looked for more but I'm afraid to over feed him. Is this about the correct amount he should be eating?
    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Formula is also fed per feeding by weight of squirrel feeding between 5-7% of body weight. Droppers, bottles are not suggested for feeding. I would suggest getting a 1cc syringe for
    feeding formula to avoid aspiration.
    The only way to feed the right amount it to know his weight. A cheapo kitchen scale will do the trick ($20 +/-). Feeding 3ml would mean he weighs around 50 grams, which he is more than double that if you ask me.

He looks to be 125gram to me (but I am not a great estimator of weight... this is why we need scales!). Following the rule of thumb provided by StepNstone he would be eating between 6.25ml and 8.75ml... and at his age every 4 - 5 hours. So he is not getting enough to eat based on my guesstimate of weight.

Hopefully some better weight estimators will be along shortly!

Edit: Just went back to the picture, and I think he weighs even more than 125grams! And you are correct to be concerned about not over feeding, but underfeeding is just as dangerous!

I am heading out so I will pick up a scale. I ended up feeding him about 5 ccs. I am terrible at math so thanks gor your guesstimate. I will figure out exactly his weight when I get back. I went and got several syringes at the pharmacy and I bought a bottle, not to use but because it had several nipples. It only had one long one though and he won't take that one now. Right now he uses the shorter one but it's kind of fat. He licks the milk instead of sucking so feeding takes awhile. Do you think he's old enough to drink out of a bowl since he's licking the syringe, probably not though right?
    QUOTE=Spanky;1123647]The only way to feed the right amount it to know his weight. A cheapo kitchen scale will do the trick ($20 +/-). Feeding 3ml would mean he weighs around 50 grams, which he is more than double that if you ask me.

He looks to be 125gram to me (but I am not a great estimator of weight... this is why we need scales!). Following the rule of thumb provided by StepNstone he would be eating between 6.25ml and 8.75ml... and at his age every 4 - 5 hours. So he is not getting enough to eat based on my guesstimate of weight.

Hopefully some better weight estimators will be along shortly!

Edit: Just went back to the picture, and I think he weighs even more than 125grams! And you are correct to be concerned about not over feeding, but underfeeding is just as dangerous![/QUOTE]

Thank you! You have been so much help :-)
    QUOTE=Spanky;1123645]Syringes, do you have syringes ? They sell Miracle O-Ring syringes that are great, they do not get sticky after repeated use. I have never used the silicon nipples, but have always had good luck with the miracle nipples.

With the HHB, store them in the freezer and only remove a couple every day to thaw to feed. The bag will last about a month (otherwise, they will mold within days).[/QUOTE]

Groucho is doing better today with the calcium supplements. He ate about 7ccs of formula his morning feeding, about 8 am and 6 his 11:30 feeding. He is sleeping a lot though, I have to wake him up each time. His output is good, he peed a good sized puddle on my leg lol, and his bm's look normal, a little lighter and softer from the goat's milk. I have read that the formula can change the color to a yellowish, so I suspect this is what's happening. My shipment from Henry's is on it's way. How long will it take once he starts the calcium powder and blocks for his legs to be completely functional? I can already see a difference with the calcium tabs I've given him today and yesterday but I'm just wondering how long recovery usually takes. He has not been squealing today so I haven't given him the children's ibuprofen today, should I give it to him anyway just to be safe? Thank you all for your help. I am truly blessed finding this board! :-) :-)

MBD takes months to reverse. He has to rebild the bone he's lost. I believe those questions are answered in the MBD thread but then I haven actually looked it for a long time. Lots of cases where little squirrels were saved tho.

Groucho is doing better today with the calcium supplements. He ate about 7ccs of formula his morning feeding, about 8 am and 6 his 11:30 feeding. He is sleeping a lot though, I have to wake him up each time. His output is good, he peed a good sized puddle on my leg lol, and his bm's look normal, a little lighter and softer from the goat's milk. I have read that the formula can change the color to a yellowish, so I suspect this is what's happening. My shipment from Henry's is on it's way. How long will it take once he starts the calcium powder and blocks for his legs to be completely functional? I can already see a difference with the calcium tabs I've given him today and yesterday but I'm just wondering how long recovery usually takes. He has not been squealing today so I haven't given him the children's ibuprofen today, should I give it to him anyway just to be safe? Thank you all for your help. I am truly blessed finding this board! :-) :-)
    Squirrels mask pain, I wouldn't just let his squealing be your indicator.
    As stated mbd is painful, I would still allow him pain management a while longer.
    Not only for his comfort level, managing pain promotes faster healing.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast