Thread: Newspapers for bedding

Hybrid View

Exclamation Newspapers for bedding

Thank you stepnstone for bringing this to our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    Just found this...
    Though newspaper ink has notoriously been known to be toxic in past years, Newspaper Association of America (NAA) regulations have required newspapers to switch to natural ink make of soy products. According to the NAA, over 95 percent of newspapers use this new, more environmentally friendly ink as of 2010, but the remaining 5 percent or so may still contain toxic materials. Toxic ink can cause repercussions if recycled since recycled newsprint usually goes into other materials such as cardboard or other widely used materials. Old newsprint is also used as animal bedding and could cause harm to animals.

Read more: How to Test the Ink in Newspapers to See if It Is Toxic | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7699090_test...#ixzz2LIFMwrx5

I personally would not trust not having the 5%...
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 02-18-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Default Re: Newspapers for bedding

Earlier post:
    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    Just a note of caution...
    Years ago I worked for a printing company in Pa., we printed everything from newspapers to labels. We had to keep our printing ink stored in steel lockers (OSHA) and handle with rubber gloves. Not just because the inks can be flammable but also due to the high toxicity of the printing inks.
    I had been putting newspaper under the fleece in Paxton's cage, of course he was digging it out not only making a mess of it but pulling it into his nest. He starting doing a lot of scratching, no hair loss just constantly scratching himself silly. In trying to figure out what was irritating him I recalled my days at the printing company, remembered about the inks and removed the newspaper. He has stopped with the incisive scratching since removing the paper.
    One would think toxicity levels would diminish once dry but if you have ever had the ink rub off on your hands or seen inks run on newspaper after it's gotten wet it could certainly make you wonder.
    I'm glad to learn regulations have changed "According to the NAA", however we also have the FDA regulations and still find that some things (slip) under the wire and people get sick and die from things eaten that never should have happened. We may have regulations here in the states but too many imports and too many imports slide by those regulations. It shouldn't happen but it does!
    Even at 5% if indeed that is all, I wouldn't risk the health of my babies on chance.

Ohmuhgosh! I line cages with paper all the time! Fleece stays on maybe 20 seconds and paper towels are immediately pulled into nest cubes. This is good info. I'm calling the local newspaper to find out what kind of ink is used. Seems a year or so ago there was an article about the paper switching to all vegetable ink so little kids wouldn't be possibly exposed to anything toxic. Made me wonder then if mom and dad were lining the KIDS' cages with newspaper.

I've seen where a few have said, I'm going to call our local paper and find out what inks they use.
    I can't help but ask...
    Do you really think if they were using the high risk inks they are going to relay that information??

The way I figure it the high risk (non-soy) inks have lost sales therefore making it a less expensive product,
    we all know (some) companies do whatever to lower their costs and will continue to do so until caught when and if ever.
    It's a crap shoot anyway you look at it.

Kebtaz Guest

Smile Re: Newspapers for bedding

OMG! Pixie has been scratching alot lately and I have checked her for fleas-none! Thanks for this info!!!!!! I'm taking all newspaper out of her cage

pnut2014 Guest

Wht is the best thing to line cages. Heard poly fill can wrap around toes and ink in paper towels and paper r bad. Humm

Companies that sell supplies for packaging sell newsprint - the paper without any printing on it - quite inexpensively. I have seen it for sale at Amazon.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

kimball063 (12-18-2016)

I don't think the ink will cause itching. Maybe the "printing dust" that is commonly associated with papers can. But if you have access to plain, I think I would use it to eliminate a variable.

Good thread!

Squirrels in my yard seem to value brown paper of some sort. I'm leaning toward the idea of continuing to provide them with brown fedex packing paper. I would definitely be interested in whether or not there is something better or something wrong with brown fedex packing paper for squirrels. I'm guessing that they use it in their nests.

(I wish I had brown leaves and have been thinking about where the best place would be to get some nearby. I usually cautiously refrain from bringing stuff here from other neighborhoods for the squirrels as to ensure that I don't inadvertently transplant trouble.)

According to a 60 Minutes program a few years ago, nearly all of our newspaper and other paper for recycling goes to.......China. One woman there has made billions recycling all of our trash paper and newsprint, and selling it back to us.

Personally, I wouldn't trust anything near anyone I care about that came from China. JMHO.
    Also, I personally cannot stand the smell of wet newsprint, whether it's wet from the rain or from squirrel pee . When my babies are in the small carrier I use folded up paper towels on one side for peeing. Later, in their cage, it's CareFresh bedding in all the corners. No stinky-pewy.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

LR (10-22-2017)