Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbor shooting squirrels!

Default Neighbor shooting squirrels!

I just had to vent about this to someone besides the police. I had my suscpicions for awhile that a neighbor in back of us was shooting at something, but today I witnessed something awful. I was in my own backyard (picking up dog poop) and heard what I thought was a shot and at the same time saw something fall from one of the many trees in my neighbor to the side's yard. Sure enough, he shot a squirrel from the tree and it was twitching on the snow covered ground. He is shooting these innocent creatures and in someone else's yard even! (This is the same neighbor that I had called on a couple years ago that had a possum in a live trap in his yard.) I feel so bad that here I am feeding all the wild squirrels and he does that. The little fellow is definitely dead. The police officer took all the info and went over and took pictures, too. He says it is an arrestable offense, both shooting in town and killing animals. I just hope that this stops. I can't believe that people can kill an innocent creature like that.

Default Re: Neighbor shooting squirrels!

I hope they are able to do some thing about it were you are located...... the same thing happened here in Florida where I live and the police did nothing about it because the guy was using a BB Gun (not a real gun) --and here in Lakeland squirrels are deemed nuisance animals, therefore, it is not illegal to shoot them.

I believe that he is using a bb gun, however it is illegal to use those within city limits. Just so mean! I know not everyone likes squirrels and certainly most people don't feed them like I do, but to intentionally harm/kill them is unthinkable to me. This guy is actually shooting in someone else's yard. A house where two small children live!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Push the discharging a firearm in a residential area to get attention and make him stop....most people do not care about squirrels. So going with the dead squirrel thing will sadly achieve less than the discharging a firearm in a residential area. Also take note to where he is aiming and see if there are BB/bullet holes in buildings/homes/sheds/cars/trees from when he misses.....this is a HUGE problem as BB's are known to ricochet.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom
    Push the discharging a firearm in a residential area to get attention and make him stop....most people do not care about squirrels. So going with the dead squirrel thing will sadly achieve less than the discharging a firearm in a residential area. Also take note to where he is aiming and see if there are BB/bullet holes in buildings/homes/sheds/cars/trees from when he misses.....this is a HUGE problem as BB's are known to ricochet.
    I have to agree!
    Many counties here consider anything that discharges a projectile a firearm,
    regardless if it's a paint ball, pellet, BB, or bullet.

I wonder how the neighbor with the children would feel about his neighbor shooting into his yard?

Sorry, I would have to shoot the shooter!
    ( with my BeeBee gun, but would use a pellet!)
    sorry, not right, but I never said I was right.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Simon's Mommy
    lol

Me neither!

Personally since I do have an assortment of guns at my disposal,
    I would bull's eye a few windows and let the neighbor get blamed
    since there is already a police report on his "random" shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    Me neither!

I've done that!

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

I saw the neighbor woman late this afternoon coming home with her three year old and one year old and let her know what was happening in her back yard. She was quite surprised to hear it and glad I let her know. My husband thinks that it must be more powerful than a beebee gun. maybe.pellet?..to shoot from his yard that distance into the tree and kill the poor little guy. I had heard those "shot" noises recently at times, but wasn't sure what it was. What are the odds that I would be out there right when it happened and see/hear the squirrel fall from the tree at the exact same moment ? It makes me feel especially bad as I entice them into my yard with the squirrel feeder,etc. Now, it makes me wonder if the squirrel I had seen back about three weeks ago was a victim of this neighbor as well? The one that led me to the forum and I was questioning if he had MBD? He definitely had absolutely no use of either of his back legs. Thanks all for the responses! It is nice to know that others care so much about the little guys.

I've done that!
    Great (rather devious) minds!

People that kill things just for the hell of it make me so angry. It's one thing if you're going to eat it (and I'd prefer that people resorted to this as a last option), but to end an animal's life because you need entertainment... Ugh. Hope he gets slapped with a fat fine at least. I wish I could punch folks like that in the face. Mankind can be so incredibly arrogant.

"According to the powers that be,
    a squirrel can have as many lives as they think they can get away with."

Flyers boys: Chuck, Totoro, Appa, Frodo
    Flyer girls: Sen, Nim, Sansa, Arya
    Glaurung the Bearded Dragon
    Severus Snake the Western Hognose

sid'smommy Guest

your neighbor must not know how it feels to be an innocent little creature, minding its own business, and experience the terror of the gun shot ringing in thier ears.....
    i think you should stick a potato in his tailpipe and hide with your red paintball gun. when the car back fires, shoot the red paintball on his windshield. ....yep, that'll teach him....hope he has good seat covers!

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    Me neither!

LMAO! Wonderful idea!!!
    LICENSED MISSOURI WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR

It make me so mad to know people are so inconsiderate of all of god animals. I was talking to my neighbor last summer about how all my tomotoes disapear off the plants. And she went on to tell me, that her husband was trapping and killing squirrels (if they wasn't dead in the trap he would shot them) because they are stealing theirs also. That made me so mad, I asked her why didn't they just release them some where else but her husband said it was too much trouble. I know they are both around 70 but dang, those little babies dont get a chance at life because of a tomatoe plant. I still feed the wilds, hoping they will come to my yard for what they want. My theory is, if there is plenty here maybe they will not go looking for their garden. But they are trying to sell their house, and they are nice people who look out for me when were are at work. But that one thing, killing poor little squirrels looking for food just ticks me off!!!!

sid'smommy Guest

For the old folks : Stop off at the nursery this spring and buy a small assortment of veggies and flowers(flocks/pursulane)... (low maintenance)... then stop at a junkyard and ask for an old tire . Tell them you would like to make the squirrels a special place at the edge of thier yard to keep the squirrels out of thier garden. ... fill up the tire with dirt, put a feeder post in the center... hang some rope and cute decorations from it. Attach a simple feed box on top & plant your garden. I bet you that these old folks will be watching the squirrels with delight within a few weeks. They may even help maintain it! People who are burdened by squirrels have never really taken the time to watch them... show them how cute and funny they really are

sid'smommy Guest

heres some ideas: The squirrellys would love a tire swing filled with plants hanging from thier favorite tree.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Oh..very cute!

[ATTACH]image.jpg[/ATTACH]sid'smommy For the old folks : Stop off at the nursery this spring and buy a small assortment of veggies and flowers(flocks/pursulane)... (low maintenance)... then stop at a junkyard and ask for an old tire . Tell them you would like to make the squirrels a special place at the edge of thier yard to keep the squirrels out of thier garden. ... fill up the tire with dirt, put a feeder post in the center... hang some rope and cute decorations from it. Attach a simple feed box on top & plant your garden. I bet you that these old folks will be watching the squirrels with delight within a few weeks. They may even help maintain it! People who are burdened by squirrels have never really taken the time to watch them... show them how cute and funny they really are
    I don't know if I did that right but anyway way to go Sid's mommy I always say "kill em with kindness" And sadly most people don't take the time to smell the flowers much less watch what plays in them
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

sid'smommy Guest

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast