Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What saved my pox squirrels

Default Re: What saved my pox squirrels

I just want you to know, while you are doing the "I could have/should have" stuff that even with acyclovir administered immediately, these poor little things die more often than we can save them. They are the three letters I dread seeing here the most. I am so sorry.

Godspeed little Pox Girl...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Default Thank you all!

Thanks again everybody for all your best wishes!! At least she lived a pampered life the short time she was with us :-) I am very sad but I have rehabbed long enough to realize that we can't save them all no matter how badly we try or we'd like to....

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scurrygirl from:

LR (11-07-2017)

Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

I'm sorry I'm just seeing this. I did do the human antiviral. My 2 squirrels that I gave it to had a lot of side effects I stopped giving it. I will write more when I can get on my desktop rather than phone.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

AJMommy Guest

Does anyone know the dosage of Echinachea? I have it but do not know the concentration in the water.

I found this from someone with a lot of squirrel experience:

I was told that the correct mix is one capsule with one gallon of water...only use the GNC Brand http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133940 (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...2133940)...and put it out fresh daily.

For my Cheeky who has the start of mange I am mixing one capsule with sixty eight ounces of water but just for the first few weeks. Then I will do the one capsule with one gallon of water.

I plan on continuing with the Echinacea everyday all year long. better still......
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by rippie-n-lilgirlsmom View Post
    http://www.caoh.org/liqimbarecbe.html
    0.3 daily dosage.
    This product saved 4 of my squirrels, the worst squirrel having at least 25 lesions on her stomach alone. If you order have it shipped the quickest way possible as it comes from California. I have used it on wild who also recovered by putting it in his water with a bigger dosage.
    The first squirrel was treated with Valtrex and he passed away before we received this medication. Within 2-3 weeks I seen a change in the lesions drying and remarkable changes over all. Once the healing began it was about another 10 days until pox was not noticeable. I would recommend this for any outside kids I used about 2cc of it in a large pan of water. Another product we tried was Nutriferon from Shaklee I did not notice any big improvements once again the way I did with the CAOH product. Hope this helps someone.
    I believe it is almost impossible to stop the virus it must run its course, you must build up the immunity.
    If you find the amount in the first thread is not helping for the outside squirrels only) I would double this!! Sorry I can't remember how to amend a thread if some one could do it for me? Ty

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Can someone please confirm how the COAH liquid Immune Barrier is given and how may cc to give them in a syringe. I have 2 girls that are about 10 weeks, and 1 of them has pox's all over her. The other is fine and they have been living together. She has slowly progressed over the past 4 weeks. I just started to give her COAH supliment .15cc/ml twice daily by mixing it with water and feeding with 3cc syringe. She will only take about have then realizes that is not Esbalic. Can I give it full strength squirting it in her mouth?

Also,

What is the progression of squirrel pox? She has over 20 bumps and they are just starting to scab in spots but still look like lumps of skin, not tumor or wort. . Is that good or bad. Should I start and antibiotic as soon as they scab or look infected or is it too late for her? If she is improving will the shrink and go away or harden and fall off?

Thanks in advanced,
    Jake

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jeepin48 from:

LR (11-07-2017)

The OP recommends as follows, at the top of this thread:

0.3 daily dosage.

0.3 is not a large amount; I would imagine you could slip a syring right under the muzzle and squirt before your squirrel realized what was going on. Otherwise, you could split the dose to 0.15 twice daily, so even less would have to be given.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

LR (11-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    The OP recommends as follows, at the top of this thread:

0.3 daily dosage.

0.3 is not a large amount; I would imagine you could slip a syring right under the muzzle and squirt before your squirrel realized what was going on. Otherwise, you could split the dose to 0.15 twice daily, so even less would have to be given.

Hey IR, if you look at Rippie's last post, she suggests DOUBLING that dose...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Hey IR, if you look at Rippie's last post, she suggests DOUBLING that dose...

Missed that -- thank you, Crit!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hi, Does anyone have any documentation or description of what Squirrel Pox looks like when it is getting better. How do the bumps heal? Do they always scab over?, Do they just shrink and go away?

My 12 week girl has pox all over here and she has been on CAOH for 1 week. Now she is struggling to use one of her front legs. I dont want to make her suffer if she is not getting better. 3 of the pox have split and are slightly bleeding. I will need to make a decision in the next day or so.

Jake

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jeepin48 from:

LR (11-07-2017)

I believe that the larger, more advanced bumps often scab over, some of the smaller ones can dry up and go away.

You mentioned having two squirrels? You should separate them, Pox is contagious.

The CAOH has been reported to help. If the Pox is bad, I would consider increasing the dose a bit. Proper diet and hydration is very important because it allows them to get maintain their strength and allows their immune system too rally to fight off the virus.

Can you post pics of your poor squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepin48 View Post
    Hi, Does anyone have any documentation or description of what Squirrel Pox looks like when it is getting better. How do the bumps heal? Do they always scab over?, Do they just shrink and go away?

My 12 week girl has pox all over here and she has been on CAOH for 1 week. Now she is struggling to use one of her front legs. I dont want to make her suffer if she is not getting better. 3 of the pox have split and are slightly bleeding. I will need to make a decision in the next day or so.

Jake

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

LR (11-07-2017)

Name:  20141027_202202.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  1.21 MBName:  20141027_202202-1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  1.17 MBName:  20141027_202216-1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  1.13 MBName:  20141027_202230-1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  1.14 MB

Here is lumpy, my 12 week old pox girl. It has been 3 weeks since I realized what she had and has been on CAOH for 1week. There doesn't seem to be any change in the bumps.

Now my little special boy squirrel has 1 pox on his back. They have been seperated for over 3 weeks. He had his first dose of CAOH tonight and will get .3cc twice daily like his sister has been getting. I am trying decide if i should start him on Valtrex to prevent it from spreading.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I don't mean to be partial, but he is extremely sweet squirrel. He can't see from his left eye so i will likely always look after him. If i can get lumpy better she will be released with her sister who is in an outdoor holding cage.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jeepin48 from:

LR (11-07-2017)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

There has been some success in treating with acyclovir during the early stages.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

LR (11-07-2017)

After 6 weeks of Lumpy having Pox I had to put her down. She started just looking mangy at first and had scruffy hair all over her body. I did not no she had pox until her face and ear were swollen. In the end she had bumps on 70% of her body and 5 had split and were oozing. I had treated her with CAOH for 3 weeks and Acyclovir for the last 1 week at .2cc twice daily. It did not seem to help. The pox continued to progress slowly. She was still very mobile and active all along. My decision was based on her activity. She would eat good and move around but once she sat still she would pick at lesion bumps. At this point I knew she was becoming overwhelmed.

I have 2 others that have just showed Pox bumps 2 weeks ago. I immediately started them on CAOH (.3cc twice daily) and Acyclovir .2cc twice daily. They are 12 weeks so they are 3/4 full size (Fox squirrel). They both have about 2 pox on their back but still have hair on them and the boys penis is swollen the size of my pinkey finger. They eat henrys squirrel blocks and veggies.

I will keep you updated on this treatment regimen.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jeepin48 from:

LR (11-07-2017)

I am so sorry.. Gods Speed Lumpy.

There is another current thread dealing with a young black squirrel that has a very bad case of Pox. You should follow it. He is being treated with acyclovir, CAOH, and Baytril for secondary infections.

Currently, it is thought that allowing the scabs to dry and fall off is important. Drying nodules kill the virus.

I wonder about the important of sunlight for treat Pox? Sunlight plays an important role in overall immune system function and health. Sun light is an important way to manufacture vit D. It also can help to dry up/heal up skin conditions like eczema, perhaps it might help to dry up/kill the active virus on the skin nodules?

Good luck to your other squirrels!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepin48 View Post
    After 6 weeks of Lumpy having Pox I had to put her down. She started just looking mangy at first and had scruffy hair all over her body. I did not no she had pox until her face and ear were swollen. In the end she had bumps on 70% of her body and 5 had split and were oozing. I had treated her with CAOH for 3 weeks and Acyclovir for the last 1 week at .2cc twice daily. It did not seem to help. The pox continued to progress slowly. She was still very mobile and active all along. My decision was based on her activity. She would eat good and move around but once she sat still she would pick at lesion bumps. At this point I knew she was becoming overwhelmed.

I have 2 others that have just showed Pox bumps 2 weeks ago. I immediately started them on CAOH (.3cc twice daily) and Acyclovir .2cc twice daily. They are 12 weeks so they are 3/4 full size (Fox squirrel). They both have about 2 pox on their back but still have hair on them and the boys penis is swollen the size of my pinkey finger. They eat henrys squirrel blocks and veggies.

I will keep you updated on this treatment regimen.

-Grateful Dead

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

LR (11-07-2017)

CAOH Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rippie-n-lilgirlsmom View Post
    0.3 daily dosage.
    This product saved 4 of my squirrels, the worst squirrel having at least 25 lesions on her stomach alone. If you order have it shipped the quickest way possible as it comes from California. I have used it on wild who also recovered by putting it in his water with a bigger dosage.
    The first squirrel was treated with Valtrex and he passed away before we received this medication. Within 2-3 weeks I seen a change in the lesions drying and remarkable changes over all. Once the healing began it was about another 10 days until pox was not noticeable. I would recommend this for any outside kids I used about 2cc of it in a large pan of water. Another product we tried was Nutriferon from Shaklee I did not notice any big improvements once again the way I did with the CAOH product. Hope this helps someone.
    I believe it is almost impossible to stop the virus it must run its course, you must build up the immunity.
    Hi several of your members have been using our Liquid Immune Barrier to help with these little guys and want to post a discount coupon for you all for Squirrel Board Special $2.00 + 100 Reward Points. The coupon code is: squirrelboardspecial

I also want to recommend a product through some research I did SeaBuckthorn Oil .

Please pass the word and we hope this helps.

CAOH

29. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CAOH:

Ekorre (07-06-2017), island rehabber (07-10-2017), Lighten-Up (07-07-2017), LR (11-07-2017), Mel1959 (07-06-2017), missPixy (07-07-2017), Nancy in New York (07-13-2017)

CAOH Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CAOH View Post
    Hi several of your members have been using our Liquid Immune Barrier to help with these little guys and want to post a discount coupon for you all for Squirrel Board Special $2.00 + 100 Reward Points. The coupon code is: squirrelboardspecial

I also want to recommend a product through some research I did SeaBuckthorn Oil .

Please pass the word and we hope this helps.

CAOH
    Sorry guys forgot to enable the coupon on our site. Please try again if you had trouble.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CAOH from:

island rehabber (07-10-2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast