Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What saved my pox squirrels

Jane Guest

Default Re: What saved my pox squirrels

Does the Echinacea have to be GNC? I have some by a company called Now Foods. Would that be okay to use?

I would say it's absolutely ok to use another brand of echinacea.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

One of the biggest issues with fighting Pox is the risk of secondary infection. It is also my understanding that there are 2 kinds of Pox....Dry and Wet. Dry is basically on the outside and Wet is on the inside. The labored breathing you mention is concerning to me.

If you are able, please get your little one onto some sort of a broad spectrum antibiotic to help fight any secondary infection. Baytril would be a good choice. The antibiotic will not help with the Pox as Pox is viral.

I do not have any hands on experience with Pox so my personal knowledge is only what I have read and discussed with rehabbers that have dealt with it.

I will see if I can reach Rippie and direct her to this thread so she can further discuss her experiences with you.

Also, someone asked if Pox is one of the herpes viruses...yes, it is. Valtrex is what I take for Shingles and it works like a freaking charm.....just not sure if Valtrex is safe for squirrels.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post

Also, someone asked if Pox is one of the herpes viruses...yes, it is. Valtrex is what I take for Shingles and it works like a freaking charm.....just not sure if Valtrex is safe for squirrels.

In the proper dose, it is very effective in stopping the progress of EARLY stage pox. Valtrex is the brand name for acyclovir, which is what I used on a 6-wk old pox baby who recovered completely.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum but have been rehabbing baby squirrels for 14 years. I just took in my first pox squirrel about 3 weeks ago. I ordered the immune booster right away (http://www.caoh.org/liqimbarecbe.html) with 3 day USPS delivery. Unfortunately it took a phone call and 14 days to arrive but I finally have it. Before it arrived my vet had given me an immune booster with L-lysine (sp?). We discussed Acyclovir/valtrex suspension but she said it was very expensive (anyone know a price on that?). I opted to go with SMZ (when and if needed it), the immune booster, fresh fruits & veggies, and formula for all the nutrients and vitamins. Her pox are terrible and she has 2 that look like absesses but she has always been active and seems to feel well. We are on day 5 of the caoh immune booster. I started her on the SMZ because the pox started to get a little bloody and scab. Oh almost forgot that someone had mentioned Nystop antifungal powder to help keep the pox dry. I opted for Lotrimin powder (antifungal & anti-itch) and she gets dusted twice a day with it. She loves her dusty bath :-)! So, I'm sooo hoping the pox will start to receed soon. She seems strong and happy. Just broke out the heating pad cause it is getting chilly here now. Will keep you posted on her progress.

Welcome and good luck! I hope she heals right up!

Default Update on Poxy

Well I have had Poxy since Oct 5th. I thought i'd share her pox progression with y'all. She is on the immune booster, SMZ antibiotic, formula, Lotrimin powder (for dusting 2 times a day) and I started her on metacam yesterday because she seemed to be in pain when I lifted her. I keep a heating pad on low for her too. She is eating well...LOVES cumcumber and grapes :-) The pox have become scabby and a slightly bloody, especially the 2 big ones on her arm. I am hoping that this means we have passed the peak of the the outbreak and are on the healing side.

Name:  DSCF6912.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  109.8 KB How she looked on Oct. 5th

Name:  DSCF6965.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  128.8 KB Yesterday Oct. 27th

Name:  DSCF6967.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  138.9 KB After her 1st dose of Metacam, within one hour she was moving around and climibing. She ate 2 halves of cucumber and 3 grapes!!!

Name:  DSCF6972.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  131.0 KB Hang in there Poxy Girl :-)

Many healing prayers going out for your sweet baby.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Poor little girl! Thanks for helping her!

Thank you for helping this poor baby, and many prayers coming your way for both of you.

If I may make one suggestion... you are doing such a fantastic job I feel odd offering this but who knows? It might be of help...

Apparently it's what is inside the blisters that helps the spread of the pox all over the body, that and scratching the blisters. So I was thinking it might be a good idea to change her bedding very often during the day especially since some of the blisters are bleeding a bit, you said. I'm suggesting this since it appears she's making some progress and I was thinking you may want to avoid any risk of reinfection.

The fact that she remains in good spirit and active would sound like a good omen to me - I'm no expert, mind you. I sure do hope that little one pulls through.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Thank you for helping this poor baby, and many prayers coming your way for both of you.

If I may make one suggestion... you are doing such a fantastic job I feel odd offering this but who knows? It might be of help...

Apparently it's what is inside the blisters that helps the spread of the pox all over the body, that and scratching the blisters. So I was thinking it might be a good idea to change her bedding very often during the day especially since some of the blisters are bleeding a bit, you said. I'm suggesting this since it appears she's making some progress and I was thinking you may want to avoid any risk of reinfection.

The fact that she remains in good spirit and active would sound like a good omen to me - I'm no expert, mind you. I sure do hope that little one pulls through.
    Hi, I greatly appreciate your suggestion! It is my first pox case so I welcome all help and knowledge ! I discussed cleaning the bedding with my vet and she said washing with soap and bleach should be sufficient. Any thoughts on that? I sooo hope we are past the peak!!! Thanks again!

What good work you're doing with her! She really looks so much better from what I can see in the first shot. She is one lucky little girl to have you.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Scurrygirl , I don't even know what to say... Poxy

She does appear to be doing better, she is crusting up. Pox is such a horrible disease. Good luck to you both, prayers being said.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Default Poxy girl

Hi everybody,

Just wanted y'all to know that sweet lil' Poxy girl passed away yesterday. She had her formula and some melon for breakfast and when I checked on her at lunchtime she had passed. I feel like it must have something internal. I appreciate all of y'alls support. I have to say that Pox is a terrible disease!! I think next time, if the pox were still few in number and it was early onset, I would try the Valtrex/Acyclovir suspension. I would definitely keep the immune booster but I would try to inhibit those dang pox from getting worse. RIP lil' girl...

oh darn it I am so sorry, scurrygirl......
    This seems to happen a lot with pox squirrels: just when it appears they are getting better, they pass away. I think the pox moves into the internal organs and we don't see that things are actually worse.

If you use the Acyclovir immediately after seeing the first one or two lesions you can stop the progress of this horrible disease. If not, and if you're treating a squirrel with advanced pox already, it's really a crap shoot
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

RIP Little Sweet girl

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Watch Mia nut hunting from water
    Online-Property-Shop

I'M SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR POOR BABY. WHAT AN AWFUL DISEASE. REST IN PERFECT PEACE LITTLE GIRL
    " For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

squirrelmommy22 Guest

R.I.P Poxy.

RIP little squirrel.

I am glad you were with her till the end to help ease her passing.

The pics you posted were awful, that was one of the worst cases I have seen pictures of so I think this little girl did not stand much of a chance even with your heroic efforts.

Gods Speed little squirrel.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast