Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treatment for pox anything else I should do?

Default Treatment for pox anything else I should do?

Here is Catherine. She is about 9 weeks old and I'm pretty sure she has pox. I have never had a baby with pox before. What can I do for her? As of now I'm washing the pox with diluted Betadine and putting cold-pressed organic coconut oil on them afterwards. I do have Baytril but I don't think any of them are infected yet. She has had a bump on each eye since we got her at 5 weeks. Her two brothers that were smaller than her didn't make it. The both each had a red bump on them too. I noticed about two days ago both of her ears looked swollen and a crusty red bump that's gotten bigger under her front leg. She seems very itchy and the bumps under her leg seem sore. She started on Esilibac formula and is now switched to a formula made for baby squirrels 4 weeks and older. She also eats broccoli stems, apples, some berries and carrots. She has a antler she chews on and sticks and pinecones. I have tried to get some pictures but they are not as good as I would like. She seems to still be very playful, is eating well and using the bathroom regularly. Right now she is in animal carrier because last week she found a way to weasel out of the big cage I moved her to. She needs to be a little bigger. I change her cage and scrub it everyday. Tomorrow I am going to town to get a flea treatment and immune booster. Anything else I should be doing?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HWS from:

cava (06-18-2017)

Default Re: Treatment for pox anything else I should do?

Pox usually starts in the genital area and on the toes and feet......I don't know if this is pox. Others may have more experience with it, as thankfully I have not. The large blob under her arm almost looks like an abcessed bite.....do you see a hole on top of it? Could even be a bot fly warble....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (06-18-2017), stepnstone (06-18-2017), UDoWhat (06-18-2017)

She does have one staring on a front toe. You can barley see it in the last picture on the right. She now has a new mark on her face this morning. It looks like from digging or scratching. I am a about to try to get more pictures. She is still eating and playing.

I would recommend beginning treatment with acyclovir immediately -- it's early enough to get good results. The brand name is Zovirax if you can get some from your vet.....Valtrex, given to people with the herpes virus, is also effective. Once you tell me what form of the drug you have I can help with dosing.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Rocky1 (07-04-2017)

Ok. Thank you so much. I checked for a hole or anything. I don't think it's not flies. Today they all look worse. She is digging them raw. Her dad should be able to help me trim her nails in a little bit so hopefully she won't break the skin so much. She is scratching like crazy. Her one eye is now raw around the lid. She keeps dragging herself on anything try to scratch. It looks like she is belly crawling. I will call a vet and try to get a prescription.

I have finally found someone with Valtrex. I am supposed to pick it up today. If anyone knows the dosing for this I could use some help. I am not sure the mg of the pills yet. I will post that when I get them. However Cat weighs 230 grams. Thanks in advance. I just really hope this helps as she has more pox now.

Ok. I will got the Valtrex. They are 500 mg pills. I just need the dosing info for Cat. She weighs 230 grams. Thank you in advance.

Are you aware of the CAOH product? It is a great immune booster for humans that has helped squirrels overcome pox. It has echinacea and beta glucan in it. I have had good results with it.

I can't post a link for it, my "loaner computer" is not cooperating. Maybe someone else can do that. You can also find reference to it on TSB Specific Ailment Pox posts.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

HWS (06-24-2017), kcassidy (07-02-2017)

I have seen it on another thread. I guess I will order it. I am in Maryland.. Do you know how long the shipping takes?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HWS from:

Lighten-Up (06-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HWS View Post
    I have seen it on another thread. I guess I will order it. I am in Maryland.. Do you know how long the shipping takes?
    I live on the East Coast too. It took over a week, almost two weeks for me to get it when I sent for it normal shipping. Expedited shipping is very costly.

After I used it for the squirrels, I had lots left over. I have tried it myself. It is fine to drink, it is sweet.

For the two weeks while I waited for the CAOH, I chose to offer some Essential Oil - oregano in the water dish. Only one drop per gallon of spring water. I mixed it in a jar and then poured it into a small dish, and offered the oregano oil water next to pure plain water. Honestly, I'm not advocating this because I've never seen anyone suggest it. But pox is nasty, I was desperate and I did have success, so I am letting you know what I did, (besides lots of prayers and focusing positive energy). It was my decision to try something, anything before the pox got any worse. I did not force them to drink the oregano oil water. That is why I offered it in a separate dish, to see what would happen. They ignored it for a few days to a week, then they began to drink it. They liked the oregano oil water, so when the CAOH arrived, I called the company to ask them if I could add the CAOH to the oregano oil water. They said, if I was only putting one drop in a gallon of water, they said they felt that would be fine, so I did. It took several weeks, or a month, I'm not sure, but the blisters began drying up. I did catch it right away, they had only a few on the feet and eyes. This was for outdoor wilds. I'm pretty sure it was pox, what else could it have been? Note, I have kept the oregano water outside 6 months later, they all drink from it now. They also drink plain water, they use both.

Ok. I will got the Valtrex. They are 500 mg pills. I just need the dosing info for Cat. She weighs 230 grams. Thank you in advance.
    Have you received any dosing information for the Valtrex yet?

How prevalent is POX? I have been reading the many posts about it, and am getting even more nervous about releasing DASH. He can not only get POX, but be flea infested as he was when he came to me asking for help, mite infested as he was, bitten by BOT flies, and susceptible to a long list of other deadly diseases, bullying older and territorial squirrels, run over by cars, or eaten by hawks, owls, coyotes, raccoons, and feral cats!!!!
    It is hard to believe that he could be happier than what I see in his behavior every day, so long as he has me as his jungle gym.
    He gets healthy food, clean water, lots of room to play, run and jump, and can safely hear and see wildlife from his window. He will go into his large PRC next week, and I am already having great anxiety about the decision to release.
    Never had this much stress adopting out the many cats and dogs I have fostered.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Have you received any dosing information for the Valtrex yet?

Yup

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Spanky (06-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JoanP View Post
    How prevalent is POX? I have been reading the many posts about it, and am getting even more nervous about releasing DASH. He can not only get POX, but be flea infested as he was when he came to me asking for help, mite infested as he was, bitten by BOT flies, and susceptible to a long list of other deadly diseases, bullying older and territorial squirrels, run over by cars, or eaten by hawks, owls, coyotes, raccoons, and feral cats!!!!
    It is hard to believe that he could be happier than what I see in his behavior every day, so long as he has me as his jungle gym.
    He gets healthy food, clean water, lots of room to play, run and jump, and can safely hear and see wildlife from his window. He will go into his large PRC next week, and I am already having great anxiety about the decision to release.
    Never had this much stress adopting out the many cats and dogs I have fostered.
    We let our big guy move out after a year of being in the house. We took him out for play time every day before that. It was sad to let him go but our Sid visited us every day for treats and belly rubs. I have seen people with squirrels that didn't want to move outside and Sid was the same way but he eventually lived it. We didn't push him to go but when he was ready he did. He also had a sister day and was all alone so we put off his original release date. I will will try to post a video of him coming when I call.

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HWS:

JoanP (06-26-2017), Lighten-Up (06-26-2017), Nancy in New York (06-26-2017)

We didn't push him to go but when he was ready he did.
    Bless you for that.
    The luxury of releasing in your yard.
    I too always told mine if they wanted to come back
    the door was always open.
    Only one listened to me.
    He's going on 7 years old that's still making up his
    mind.
    He comes inside every single night for snuggles.

It works for us.
    (Sorry for the thread jack. )

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (06-28-2017), JoanP (06-26-2017), Lighten-Up (06-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JoanP View Post
    How prevalent is POX?
    Of all the concerns for releasing healthy squirrels to the trees, I believe the threat of pox is very low on the list.

Of course that is unless squirrels suffering pox have been observed in the area which the release will occur.

I have only seen 2 cases in person and those two (babies) were brought to me this spring but were found 75 miles from here. We assume their mom was a victim of pox.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

JoanP (06-26-2017)

Just figured I would give everyone an update on Cat. I believe this is day 4 of medicine.Already her pox are shrinking and drying up. Her feet a starting to peel and look better. I am hoping she will make a full recovery and will be realsedName:  IMG_20170628_134306164.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  69.3 KBName:  IMG_20170628_134315286.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  54.3 KB hopefully in August.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HWS from:

Lighten-Up (06-28-2017)

This is wonderful news! I am thrilled that the meds are working -- yup, that's what pox looks like when it starts drying up, flat little scabs. Thank goodness.....good work, mamma!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (06-28-2017)

7 days of Valtrex 2x a day. Everything was really pink but now she is getting scabby again from scratching. Could she take Benadryl for that? Or is there something else I could do. I have hydro cortisone but I am scared she will lick that off so I stopped it. It did help but not much.

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HWS:

cava (07-02-2017), Nancy in New York (07-02-2017)

7 days of Valtrex 2x a day. Everything was really pink but now she is getting scabby again from scratching. Could she take Benadryl for that? Or is there something else I could do. I have hydro cortisone but I am scared she will lick that off so I stopped it. It did help but not much.

Yes she can take Childrens Benadryl.
    Do you have a weight on her?
    She's looking great, what a precious profile she has!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast