Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivermectin not working

Default Ivermectin not working

Hi everyone...im very concerned that the ivermectin isnt working. My squirrel may just be so bad that another 3 round of dosing may be needed? After the first dose she seemed to be improving but Christmas morning was her 3rd dose and tomorrow is new years day and she has lost more hair on her back. I will try to post photos. Is it ok to do another 3 doses and how long should i wait before beginning again? Poor thing..we have had more snow and i pray she is staying warm in someones attic! (sorry homeowners) or she is in a warm nest. But the nest may be part of her recovery problem if its infested?well, anyone that has suggestions please please let me know...and a very happy, healthy safe new years to you all and all the little critters that sometimes need our help. Trying to figure out how to upload photo on this iPad.

sid'smommy Guest

Default Re: Ivermectin not working

The nest probably is infested... Maybe you can trap it, and try to overwinter while it heals up ?

Thank you but im in a 31/2 room apt with 2 indoor cats. I think ill look into calling another squirrel rescue lady out on long island, maybe she could take her for the winter. Any med information would be helpful too..thanks

This is a photo that was just e-mailed to me..This is ROSE, the squirrel that he is trying to treat with Invermectin( on a pecan).It seems several of the wilds are loosing fur.

I was asked toost the email also---
    ################################################## ################################################## #######
    Dear stosh2010,I just came upon your offer to post pics. I only have an ipad right now(my son "borrowed" my desktop) and dont seem to be able to send pics right to the board.
    Here is Rose, but im starting to see signs that she is a he. But he/ she comes when i call Rose so whats in a name anyway? (thank you Shakespeare)
    I gave her the 3 doses if ivermectin, 1 dose a week for 3 wks and i thought i was beginning to see some improvement the first week but after the 3rd dose, Christmas morning, she has lost more hair! Its breaking my heart. I thought i read in one of the posts that if the 1st doses dont work, wait a bit and begin the 3 doses again ??? . Im very careful with the ivermectin and put the dose on a pecan and watch her eat it. The other squirrels are taking the blocks i put out but not her. As i am writing i see another little one with tail hair thinning. Im afraid the nest is terribly infected. I am recovering from surgery and very restricted to any bending or lifting so trapping at this time im just not able to do. I live in an apt complex so their nesting areas are scattered and i try to watch where they (mostly Rose) go but ive read that they have multiple nests should one be destroyed. I wouldnt know how to treat the nest anyway. It looks like the only option for her recovery that i am able to do at this time is re-administer the ivermectin. Sorry im putting this in an email instead of a post. Maybe it can be posted with the pic? In the meantime, any suggestions sure would be appreciated!
    Thank you, robchap7
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The nest can still be the source of the problem but to me she actually looks like she might be healing. It's going to take time for her hair to grow back.

sid'smommy Guest

OMG! Im in love I hope she gets better soon! It melts my heart that she knows you are trying to help

It may be the pic but do I see some pox lesions on her face and side as well? I sure hope not, but that would explain her lack of immune response....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    It may be the pic but do I see some pox lesions on her face and side as well? I sure hope not, but that would explain her lack of immune response....
    Here is a close up view --

Thanks, stosh -- that helps a lot and now I don't see pox lesions; it was his lighter-colored fur in spots that confused me.

Could it be the ivermectin you have, or the dose you're using, robchap7? Meds do go bad, sometimes......
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Thank you so much for posting stosh! And thank you all for your posts. For a response to islander rehabber-i double checked exp date of ivermectin when i received it and its jul 2014. I can order another tube right away if you think thats a good idea? Maybe i was too careful with each dose the size of uncooked rice? Maybe rose really needs another round? Poor little thing scratching and scratching! There seems to be one other thinning at the tail and i will be watching her too! Welcome suggestions...what a great site, thank you all!

Squirlgirl is offline Licensed Rehabilitator, The Squirrel Board

She doesn't have crusty skin, no crust around the eyes or on ears. The skin looks a "happy" pink, not irritated. I think she just needs to grow a new coat. Quite often they shed that old fur, so you would see fur coming off and that is itchy.

I would wait before you dose again.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirlgirl
    She doesn't have crusty skin, no crust around the eyes or on ears. The skin looks a "happy" pink, not irritated. I think she just needs to grow a new coat. Quite often they shed that old fur, so you would see fur coming off and that is itchy.

I would wait before you dose again.

that's what confused me: no crispy ears or crusty eyes, the hallmarks of mange. Maybe just a bad moult?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Robchap7
    Thank you so much for posting stosh! And thank you all for your posts. For a response to islander rehabber-i double checked exp date of ivermectin when i received it and its jul 2014. I can order another tube right away if you think thats a good idea? Maybe i was too careful with each dose the size of uncooked rice? Maybe rose really needs another round? Poor little thing scratching and scratching! There seems to be one other thinning at the tail and i will be watching her too! Welcome suggestions...what a great site, thank you all!
    If you can---take some MORE photos.. ( send ME Several )-----the one you sent was CRYSTAL clear and allowed me to enlarge it and keep it sharp.
    This way, the rehabbers can monitor the progress --either good or bad--and make recommendations...

Anyway--ROSE is a BEAUTY--with or without fur...and we LOVE photos on TSB...

Any chance you coukd find a local rehabber to trap and cure him/them. If htis is widespread, it's about baby season and that would be really unfortunate.

Again thank you for responses. Their are no sores or crust and the skin is very pink but she'll grow some and then tons more drop off..i always thought even with a moult that new fur was right underneath. I will look into a rehabber that will take her if i trap her. Ill keep you posted. If i dont have any luck with a rehabber, then we will see about dosing again? I know baby season is coming, im worried too!

A couple more things--- that photo was taken about 2 wks ago, i need to get todays pic on so you can see more lossed fur i hope stosh can post it for me, ill send it in an email around 8 pm est.....also, i do notice some of her tail fur slowly inching up from her rump. I know how important tail fur is for balance and WARMTH so keeping fingers crossed that fills out too!

Again thank you for responses. Their are no sores or crust and the skin is very pink but she'll grow some and then tons more drop off..i always thought even with a moult that new fur was right underneath. I will look into a rehabber that will take her if i trap her. Ill keep you posted. If i dont have any luck with a rehabber, then we will see about dosing again? I know baby season is coming, im worried too!
    You have a little time -- right now it's mating season. Baby season starts in March in our area.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

I know, thanks island rehabber...last year around end april early may was when she first showed up..i could see she was a baby just coming out of the nest on her own. She is such a sweetie..i just sent another pic to you so all can see shes lost more. I will try to take a pic of her back tomorrow and send it to post. Thanks again for your help!

Uh oh..my mistake island rehabber..i sent email photo to stosh2010... You probably had no idea what i was talking about..lol

A couple more things--- that photo was taken about 2 wks ago, i need to get todays pic on so you can see more lost fur i hope stosh can post it for me, ill send it in an email around 8 pm est.....also, i do notice some of her tail fur slowly inching up from her rump. I know how important tail fur is for balance and WARMTH so keeping fingers crossed that fills out too!
    NEW e-mail from Robchap7:
    Hi stosh..i have checked out the "how to download photos" and will work on that over weekend. In the meantime could you please post this pic of rose? She is noticably losing more fur, and you cant see from this photo, taken yesterday, that a lot is off the middle of her back too..and that area had just begun to fill...poor baby. I wrote to someone that may be able to rehab her or find someone that can so im staying hopeful. My biggest concern is the nest--even if she recoveries and i release her isnt she going to return to the same infested nest? Oh what to do? We just do the best we can with what we have and pray!
    If you could post this pic and text if anyone around bergen county, new jersey knows anyone that can help i will be eternally grateful. I will have someone help me trap her and i will drive her and pay for all costs of medicine, food, any expenses for her. Thank you! I know not all rescues have happy endings but if i dont try...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast