Thread: Squirrel Block Recipes?

Hybrid View

Default Re: Squirrel Block Recipes?

I didn't have the wheat flour either and mine were a sticky, wet mess going in. Can't say they were pretty coming out either but the squirrels have not complained.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

flour is optional.

as for cooking time - yes, the low temp is not to kill the vitamins. Because of the low temps you will want to keep the baking time as specified - 1.5hrs.
    You don't want them to eat some underbaked stuff. With such a low temp, longer baking time is needed.

I baked both - with flour (but not wheat) and without flour - both times came out fine and edible.

jbillings Guest

Mine were wet and sticky too so I kept adding FV to the mix until they became the consistency of pie crust. Not sure if that is the best way to do it but it worked out great and they ended up looking almost identical to HHB's! Who knows, maybe that's a secret ingredient of hers

I followed the recipe and converted the grams to cups and so forth. I also made it with the wheat flour and tweaked a few other things but they came out just like Henry's blocks. Better than the first time and the vitamins ARE a must and Henry's has the best mix of vitamins and Pure Protein Isolate. The whey you get at the store doesn't have the amount of protein that Henry's has.
    The first two pictures are my first attempt at making the blocks and without the wheat flour. Notice how hard and brittle they were. My little nuts still ate them.
    Name:  20131017_174021.jpeg
Views: 378
Size:  323.9 KBName:  20131017_174247.jpeg
Views: 389
Size:  393.4 KB

This photo is my second and successful batch with the wheat flour. I only baked these 1 hour instead of the 1 and a half hours the recipe called for. I formed it into a loaf before I baked it. They are very dense but not dried out.
    Name:  20131026_204309.jpeg
Views: 358
Size:  265.6 KB

Not sure if this thread is too old to ask a question here, but I want to try this out. I was planing on getting some henry blocks for my little guy (hope that it will clear up his eye) but now I'm wondering if getting the powder would be best for longer term and making these instead... Can anyone give me any incite on this, thanks

I make my own. I make a double batch each time( uses one cookie sheet) and make two changes, I use homemade oat flour instead of whole wheat flour and I use Hazelnuts (filberts) to replace almost all the pecans. Also the new recipe calls for only 33 grams of the vitamin mix but I do buy the bulk 200 gram package. I cut about one batch for my grey squirrels and the last into smaller size for my flyers. I freeze all using quart size freezer bags, just taking out one or two days worth at a time. They mold very quickly if not frozen!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Great to know! Waiting on the blocks to come in, but will be getting the vitamins to make the next batch! Also, little guys eye started clearing up (gave him one of the pineapple shaped mineral blocks)