Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Block Recipes?

Default Re: Squirrel Block Recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by astra
    CSL, honestly, do not remember ever seeing this version of the recipe.
    Maybe, it did exist sometime ago, but... have never seen it.

I use the recipe SammysMom posted in her post #2.

I use adult formula, but find that I do need extra liquids sometimes.
    Once i added an extra egg for that. The other time I just added very little water. I added it as I was mixing and kneading to make sure I don't over water it.
    I never used honey or any other sweetener.

I do not use wheat flour or anything wheat (for my own reasons).
    I used whole grain buckwheat flour - worked just fine for me (may not work for other squirrels).
    Also, it is suggested that you can use oat bran instead of flour - adds more fiber.

So far, as long as I stuck to the recipe that SM posted - knock on wood (b/c you never know), they always came out ok.

I find that almonds are the most bland nuts.
    Ground pecans seem to be most flavourful (I would assume that walnuts will have much flavour, too, but never tried them).
    At one point I used natural almond butter (and even pb - but all natural etc) instead of the ground nuts, but I had to adjust the remaining liquid and other ingredients.

PS even if the growth formula asks for water - add it carefully. In baking there are a lot of factors that may affect the texture (even if all people use the same recipe), altitude has a lot to do with it.
    So, always monitor the consistency - you do not want your batter to be crumbling and not sticking together, but you don't want to be able to 'pour' it either.
    It should be a fairly stiff batter that you can shape into a log, that won't crumble, but won't be too soft to hold itself.
    Ok, I will get it now that you all are helping i was in such a hurry to bake them boys something to eat i could not wait for help before baking them.

they was hongry!

I felt guilty they had no blocks! had to get to baking !
    I'm in KY so altitude not much factor here probably?

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    You have to weigh the ingredients. Measuring weight vs volume is totally different. Think about a pound of feathers vs a pound of lead.
    Very true, but she requested cups in a PM, so I gave the usual "medium density" conversions, for things like sugar, flour, etc. that you find on cooking sites. I should have specified that. I also hope that she's not cooking with lead (or feathers for that matter)!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySquirrelLady
    Ok, I will get it now that you all are helping i was in such a hurry to bake them boys something to eat i could not wait for help before baking them.

they was hongry!

I felt guilty they had no blocks! had to get to baking !
    I'm in KY so altitude not much factor here probably?
    you, sure, sound like a squirrel (can you guess why? )

You will be fine next time.
    Just follow the recipe exactly, and use grams and other exact measurements - very important

i am sure what you've got is still edible

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli
    Very true, but she requested cups in a PM, so I gave the usual "medium density" conversions, for things like sugar, flour, etc. that you find on cooking sites. I should have specified that. I also hope that she's not cooking with lead (or feathers for that matter)!
    i'll git it going soon! only my first try! i forgot i had a baby scale, so next time i will use it and get exact measurements. I was using the sugar flour stuff so it should have been fine. i think it was putting in the water! used too much i guess. i was mixing it all up at one time, eggwatervanilla mix....... so i had to dump it all in and stir... next time i will use less water and go more for a dough ball texture!

so i should grind the nuts too huh? i just used the chopped pecans, maybe i should put them in the grinder huh?

thanks everybody, for all the help!

I wasn't meaning to be insulting Farrelli...I'm not even sure I am correct.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

bet ya'll never saw no blocks CRAWL out of the pan while in the oven!

it was sorta freaky! they pulled away from the sides of the pan and i swear they tried to escape! i wish i had a camera at mom's! i woiuld have took a pic for ya'll!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySquirrelLady
    so i should grind the nuts too huh? i just used the chopped pecans, maybe i should put them in the grinder huh?

thanks everybody, for all the help!
    i find the the ground nuts work better for two reasons:
    1. squirrels cannot pick them out and discard the rest
    2. ground nuts are very close to nut butter and produce more flavour and oil

i guess, you could combine both ground and chopped nuts as long as your squirrels do not pick the chopped nuts and discard the remains

For some reason the old "Which is heavier a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?" riddle came to mind...

For some reason the old "Which is heavier a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?" riddle came to mind...
    i was thinking lead, cooking, moonshine still..... hahahahahahahahah

I wasn't meaning to be insulting Farrelli...I'm not even sure I am correct.
    I'm not insulted. You should know better than most that I'm hard to insult. Moreover, being right should never be considered an insulting position, and you ARE right. I should have been clear. Weights (grams) and volumes (cups) are two very different things. Fortunately, with most baking dry goods, they're apparently often close enough to rough out a conversion. I take that from what I have read though, because I tried to bake chocolate chip cookies when I was younger and they all flowed together on the sheet and ignited. I still don't know how that was physically possible given that the oven wasn't on broil or anything. Anyway, that was the end of my cooking career. I hope to try again someday though. I got a $250 bread maker for $25 not too long ago (How could I refuse?) and when I finally move and get a life, I hope to turn it on.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

I'm not insulted. You should know better than most that I'm hard to insult. Moreover, being right should never be considered an insulting position, and you ARE right. I should have been clear. Weights (grams) and volumes (cups) are two very different things. Fortunately, with most baking dry goods, they're apparently often close enough to rough out a conversion. I take that from what I have read though, because I tried to bake chocolate chip cookies when I was younger and they all flowed together on the sheet and ignited. I still don't know how that was physically possible given that the oven wasn't on broil or anything. Anyway, that was the end of my cooking career. I hope to try again someday though. I got a $250 bread maker for $25 not too long ago (How could I refuse?) and when I finally move and get a life, I hope to turn it on.
    Thank you Chris, I just snorted my coffee. It's just a guess, but the oven temp may have been too high. Yes, do try again someday.

CSL - When baking, you NEVER dump all the water in and then just mix it up. The water is always added last and a bit at a time...just till the consistency you want is met. This is why recipes say things like 1/2 to 2 cups of water. There is a big difference there.
    Yes, grinding the nuts versus chopping them will make a difference in the texture and consistency of your batter.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

I have a cheat: I buy pecan meal at the local mega-a-mart, then I chop remaining nuts fairly small! I mix almonds, hazelnuts(a fav), and walnuts and cover all squirrelly taste buds.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

patty_capener@yahoo.com Guest

What makes these blocks good for squirrels I didnt think they should have flour and I thought they wern't suppose to have baked food. Am I wrong Thanks

The vitamins and protein are figured for their dietary needs. The flour is optional and only a very small amount if used at all. I have never used it in the recipe myself.

Can anyone tell me if adding a little pure fruit juice instead of water to the recipe is ok? or some wheat germ or oat meal?

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Maybe change which nuts etc to make it more appealing to your squirrel?
    Homemade Squirrel Block Recipe
    (Revised 11/01/11)
    Makes approximately a 4-week supply for a 1-pound squirrel.

Preheat oven to 205 degrees Fahrenheit

Dry ingredients:
    80 g Pure Whey Protein Isolate for adult formula (for growth formula, use 160 g).
    130 g finely ground nuts (any kind; peanuts, pecans, or almonds work well)
    1/3 cup wheat flour (optional)
    1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
    1 package (45 g) Henry's Healthy Vita-Mins*

Wet ingredients:
    1 whole egg
    1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)
    1/2 cup water, or a little more, as needed (this is for growth formula only; do not add water to the adult formula unless the dough is too dry when mixed)

Instructions:
    Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until dough sticks together. It will be fairly dry, like pie crust dough. Wearing gloves or with your bare hands (oiled), press the dough down and then start to knead it. Once the dough forms a ball, place it onto a lightly greased surface and knead a few more times until smooth and uniform in color. Roll dough out into a roll or flatten into a square, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. While still warm, cut into 60 pieces with a sharp knife

Allow the blocks to cool for at least 2 hours. Then place in zip-lock bags and store them in the fridge or freezer. They will keep in the fridge for several weeks. They will keep in the freezer for several months (unopened and with as much air as possible removed from the bag before sealing). Some squirrels enjoy eating them cold or frozen, but you can also put a cold block into the microwave for about 5-10 seconds to warm it up.

Feed 1-3 per day. Different squirrels will have different energy requirements.

Can anyone tell me if adding a little pure fruit juice instead of water to the recipe is ok? or some wheat germ or oat meal?

Making changes to our squirrel's block recipes is the only way some of us get to play with our food! I don't think any of the additions will make much difference. If it does change them too much just return to the original recipe the next time. My squirrels love old fashioned oat meal-don't use the quick or instant. I have added wheat germ, flax seed, and sesame seeds with good results.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

I made my first batch of blocks. They are still in the oven. The conversion table below is different then I found online though.
    http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtml
    It states that:
    120g of fine ground nuts = 1 cup
    and something as fine as flour 80g would = 2/3 cup.
    any way I wasn't sure how flat to roll it. I got it about 2/8" thick and about 10" around. doesn't look much.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    By PM request:

80g = 2.8 oz or 1/3 cups
    160g = 5.6 oz or 2/3 cups
    130g = 4.6 oz or a hair more than 1/2 cups

Did I miss any?

Well i made them per the recipe minus the optional wheat flour. They came out like a dried out over cooked cookie. They didn't look like Henry's but they like them none the less. I wonder if the low baking time is to not cook out the vitamins? anyway I will try to add the flour next time and maybe cut down the cooking time too. 1 and a half hrs. seems a bit long. Any suggestions or success stories/recipes would be deeply appreciated.

I didn't have the wheat flour either and mine were a sticky, wet mess going in. Can't say they were pretty coming out either but the squirrels have not complained.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast