Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Squirrel Block Recipes?

Default Re: Squirrel Block Recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    I am sure many hear your pain.

Soaking almonds - that's a clever idea! Yes, definitely , better than nothing.

Hope you will find some solution.
    And maybe, this phase will pass and he will become more receptive to the balls and such.

Maybe, give him a break for a week or two from anything that resembles block (just keep dusting soaked almonds). Then try again.

Sometimes, people give them a whole day of veggies and greens only (or a couple of days) after which they start eating block.

Or, when sqs refuse to eat veggies, people set them up for a day or two of block and block-type stuff only (some use Harlans for that), after which sqs start eating veggies.

Maybe, he just needs a break. Just greens + the soaked almond with the vit powder. Nothing else. Keep that for a couple of weeks and re-try block/ball stuff again.
    Thank you. I'm sure you're right. I think the key is just keep giving him options. It would be nice though if it wasn't such a battle.It's like pushing a Monolith up hill. All the other animals on this farm will eat anything and be very grateful for the snack.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLittleSquirrely View Post
    ... such a battle.It's like pushing a Monolith up hill. ... be very grateful for the snack.
    Exactly - Monolith up hill - that's exactly how it feels.
    If he only knew of all the hungry squirrels outside who would be so grateful to eat these balls and avocado sandwiches.

I made my first batch today. They look right but smell hideous.
    Anyone ever experience that?

Sarah08 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    doubt that.
    You don't know just how many vits and minerals he is getting and how much gets brushed off etc.

Have you tried making balls with them:

crush blocks, add some unsweetened apple baby food (or even just a drop of water) - just enough to make the crushed mass slightly moist, but not too wet.
    Add some natural almond butter (or crushed nuts) - mix thoroughly and shape into balls.

how many blocks to crush?
    -- you can either do daily fresh: two per day, in which case you will only need literally a drop of something to make it moist (baby food or even plain water), and less than a tsp of almond butter/crushed nuts

-- you can make weekly batches, or bi-weekly batches or a whole monthly supply.
    In which case you will need to add more moistening agent and more almond butter/crushed nuts. How much of each? - it will depend on how big your batch is, you will be able to figure it out quickly: you don't want it to be too wet because you won't be able to shape them.
    After you do it a couple of times, you will know exactly how much of each you will need.
    Always add moistening ingredient gradually in order not to make it too wet.

The only problem with monthly supplies - they tend to lose flavour being stored for so long. Which may work for a regular eater, but picky ones are very sensitive to that and may turn their noses up.
    So, it is best to make smaller a few-days/week worth batches to keep the flavour and taste fresh.
    Just make sure that the amount of balls is equivalent to the amount of HHBs, meaning:

Example:
    for a weekly 7-day supply:
    crush 14 HHBs and make 14 balls, feeding 2 balls per day for 7 days.
    Give them first thing in the morning, and do not leave any food overnight (some sqs wake up for a midnight snack, which makes them less hungry in am).

Keep balls in the fridge.

These balls seems to be working even for the pickiest.
    Add a bit more almond butter/crushed nuts in the beginning, and then see if you can gradually reduce their amount to help your little guy get used to the block taste.

PS if you can find some nice natural almond butter, or almond-hazelnut combination - this may help the matters greatly.

Very good idea, I will try that right after I eat my lunch! Hopefully it goes well, they sure are smart!

I bought some stuff to try making homemade blocks. I couldn't find a pure whey protein at Walmart. This was the closet thing I could find.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortr...95-LB/10322404
    Is that ok? Or should I just order something else on line? And, is it ok to add some honey to the mixture to make it sweet, and maybe encourage them to actually eat them?

I'd worry about anything where I couldn't read the ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by rottilvr79 View Post
    I bought some stuff to try making homemade blocks. I couldn't find a pure whey protein at Walmart. This was the closet thing I could find.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortr...95-LB/10322404
    Is that ok? Or should I just order something else on line? And, is it ok to add some honey to the mixture to make it sweet, and maybe encourage them to actually eat them?
    unfortunately, this is not good.

in fact, anything that is used for bodybuilding/fitness/weight lifting and such is not good because it's not just protein. It is also all sorts of extra amino acids that squirrels do not need.
    Moreover, quite a few bodybuilding proteins contain some synthetic hormones that are not necessarily listed in the ingredients and steroid-type of things that are often not listed either. (Speaking as someone who was into this stuff some time ago).

Squirrels need pure stuff only.

Henryspets.com sell pure protein without any of these harmful additives. Henryspets' protein bag lasts about 5 months for one squirrel, which is a good deal (even if you have a few sqs).

As for adding honey - contact henryspets and ask them. The supermarket type of honey is usually highly processed with no nutritional value - just plain "bad" sugar.

What you may be able to add is a little bit of molasses (but the most unprocessed kind you can find) - again, check this with henryspets. They will be able to make suggestions, because this is their recipe to begin with.

But definitely - do not use anything that is meant for fitness/weight lifting purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by rottilvr79 View Post
    And, is it ok to add some honey to the mixture to make it sweet, and maybe encourage them to actually eat them?
    again, check with henryspets. You don' want to make block to be too sweet because that will develop their(sqs/'s) sweet tooth and as a result to keep sqs on a good healthful diet will be a supremely, utterly, extremely, painfully and so on and so forth difficult thing.

Have they tried HHBs already?
    Do they refuse them?

First, try HHBs just the way they are - without any extra sweetening.
    You could add extra couple of nuts if necessary.
    If they do not eat them well, you could try making balls with them and gradually reduce the fillers to help them get used to the "pure" block taste.
    Have patience.
    Give the block first thing in am when they are the hungriest and nothing else until they finish the block.

If all else fails and they just plainly, flat out, uncompromisingly refuse HHBs no matter what - then add a little bit of molasses (but do check with Henryspets about the quantity and type).

Just contact them sooner http://henryspets.com/

Thanks for the advice. They eat the Henry's blocks most of the time, and always take the peanut sticks. They don't have much choice in the matter. When they start slowing down on eating the blocks, I cut way back (or totally stop) giving them any treats until they eat them. I've tried all the HHB formulas, my guys seem to like the Wild Bites the best. I just wanted to play around with the recipe by trying different nuts, making it sweeter, ect to keep them from getting bored with it.
    I may just order the powder from Henry's when I order the vitamin mixture. I guess that would be the easiest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234