Thread: Boo Ball recipe questions

Default Boo Ball recipe questions

I was wondering if walnut oil could be used in substitution for the coconut oil the recipes I've seen call for; and could KMR powder work instead if Fox Valley? We have a young grey (5-6 mos.) who did well on the KMR formula, but will not eat the Oxbow blocks.

SammysMom is offline Administrator, Conn. Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Boo Ball recipe questions

KMR is not a good formula for a squirrel. The first thing I will say is that it needs to be discontinued pretty quickly. It is far too high in protein for their dietary needs.
    The coconut oil is a totally different consistency and I don't think walnut oil is a good substitute.
    In future, you can use Esbilac puppy formula powder with probiotics as a formula for baby squirrels.

Or you can do what we all do - buy these: http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

They are formulated with all of the vitamins and minerals they need and most sqirrels like them - they were created to be EATEN so they are tasty!

Question Re: Boo Ball recipe questions

Thanks for the info.! I'll place an order. I was hoping to use up the nearly full bag of Oxbow that he won't eat; but no Fox Valley powder around here. The only powdered milks our stores have are KMR and Esbilac. Would it be harmful to use Esbilac puppy powder with recipes until the other product arrives?

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Thanks for the info.! I'll place an order. I was hoping to use up the nearly full bag of Oxbow that he won't eat; but no Fox Valley powder around here. The only powdered milks our stores have are KMR and Esbilac. Would it be harmful to use Esbilac puppy powder with recipes until the other product arrives?
    Absolutely not. The Esbilac puppy powder will be fine.