Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help!

Default Need help!

My little man is about 4 months old and weighs about 9 oz. i went outside yesterday morning and he wouldn't get up. Since then I crushed up a tums and gave that to him incase it was MBD. He can't move his back legs at all but can move his tail. He has lost most of the hair on his tail though. He was whining a good bit so i gave him infant motrin. It has been over 24 hours since i found him like this. I have had him on a hearing pad but is there anything else I can do for him? It breaks my heart to see him this way.

Default Re: Need help!

tabby this needs to be in the emergency thread .... i'll post a link.

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Get him inside, keep him on heat, small cage so he does not have a lot of room to climb. Follow the emergency treatment posted below.

Also, if this is not MBD the treatment below will NOT hurt him. What does his daily diet consist of? Spell out EVERYTHING you feed him daily.

Emergency Treatment for MBD

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW. Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:

--Tums or calcium pills (any kind)
    --a syringe, eyedropper, or spoon

Crush one Tums or calcium pill and add a little water or fruit juice. Use the syringe, eyedropper, or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone. Feed a total of 600-800 mg of calcium, and spread it out through the day and night to keep his blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If the squirrel is having seizures, weakness, or paralysis, the symptoms will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones.

Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found at the top of the “Squirrel Nutrition” forum. (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093) Your squirrel MUST eat rodent block or squirrel blocks every day. If your squirrel doesn't like rodent blocks, you can try crushing them up with peanut butter or avocado temporarily. You can also make a tastier version of squirrel blocks using the recipe at the top of the Squirrel Nutrition forum.

3. In addition to the Healthy Diet, you will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for several weeks. Either use the syringe/eyedropper or you can try putting the calcium on a small piece of fruit.

Week 1: calcium = 500 mg per day
    Week 2: calcium = 250 mg per day
    Weeks 3-8: calcium = 100 mg per day

The cause of the acute symptoms—weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis—is a drop in blood calcium levels. If these symptoms return at any time, you will need to give another emergency dose of calcium.

More Tips
    MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. Try to keep your squirrel away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone. Also, if he is in a tall cage, either place him in a smaller cage, or pad the bottom very well.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Default please help

this is in the mbd thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby14
    My little man is about 4 months old and weighs about 9 oz. i went outside yesterday morning and he wouldn't get up. Since then I crushed up a tums and gave that to him incase it was MBD. He can't move his back legs at all but can move his tail. He has lost most of the hair on his tail though. He was whining a good bit so i gave him infant motrin. It has been over 24 hours since i found him like this. I have had him on a hearing pad but is there anything else I can do for him? It breaks my heart to see him this way.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=38159

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

milos mom

Silvana..

Is he a release? How has he been living outside? In a cage? Or was he free running around? Did he get direct sunlight?
    The reason I ask is this may or may not be MBD. Does he have any visible injuries, punctures, scratches, etc. Is it possible he may have been attacked by an animal or taken a fall?

Default Re: please help

He sleeps a lot and occasionally tries to crawl but get upset and he is very ill. He has never bit before and due to the pain is trying to bite me. Prior to this i was giving him a mixture of nuts and fruits. Mainly pecans and grapes because that was his favorite. I have Been giving him ensure to get something down him since i was giving him motrin. Also been giving him vitamin water. Should i try anything else food or medicine? I have dextrose i could try but would like some advise before doing so since i have little experience with squirrels.

Is he a release? How has he been living outside? In a cage? Or was he free running around? Did he get direct sunlight?
    The reason I ask is this may or may not be MBD. Does he have any visible injuries, punctures, scratches, etc. Is it possible he may have been attacked by an animal or taken a fall?

When he was founf he was wondering around outside with no apparent injuries. He has been doing well since he was given to me. I have had him on my screened in porch where he got plently of sunlight but was put in a cage a night to sleep. I posted what he was eating and some other information on the emergency board.

tabby please check what milos mom wrote in your other thread.

i'm sorry i know nothing about mbd treatment.

until Island rehabber can put these two threads into one thread please go back and forth and check both.

also please try to answer both threads even if you are repeating yourself for now.

you're not alone - you'll have lots of help from some very experienced members.

Silvana..

From the sounds of his diet it does indeed sound like it is MBD. MBD is very painful, which is why he is exhibiting signs of pain.

We need you to answer some important questions.

Is he INSIDE yet?

Is he on heat? (heating pad set on low)

Is he drinking fluids? (water)

How big is the cage you have him in?

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Thank you so much for your help. I have been checking both and try my beat to keep up with answering. I need all the advice i can get right now.

I just posted this in the other thread...not sure who is looking at what when and need to make sure it is seen.

From the sounds of his diet it does indeed sound like it is MBD. MBD is very painful, which is why he is exhibiting signs of pain.

We need you to answer some important questions.

Is he INSIDE yet?

Is he on heat? (heating pad set on low)

Is he drinking fluids? (water)

How big is the cage you have him in?

EDIT: I have copied this from my first post on the other thread....THIS INFO IS WHAT YOU NEED RIGHT NOW...FOLLOW IT TO A "T" IMMEDIATELY. Do not wait till later today or tomorrow, drop everything else you are doing and do this exactly as it's written...his life depends on it.

Emergency Treatment for MBD

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW. Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:

--Tums or calcium pills (any kind)
    --a syringe, eyedropper, or spoon

Crush one Tums or calcium pill and add a little water or fruit juice. Use the syringe, eyedropper, or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone. Feed a total of 600-800 mg of calcium, and spread it out through the day and night to keep his blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If the squirrel is having seizures, weakness, or paralysis, the symptoms will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones.

Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found at the top of the “Squirrel Nutrition” forum. (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093) Your squirrel MUST eat rodent block or squirrel blocks every day. If your squirrel doesn't like rodent blocks, you can try crushing them up with peanut butter or avocado temporarily. You can also make a tastier version of squirrel blocks using the recipe at the top of the Squirrel Nutrition forum.

3. In addition to the Healthy Diet, you will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for several weeks. Either use the syringe/eyedropper or you can try putting the calcium on a small piece of fruit.

Week 1: calcium = 500 mg per day
    Week 2: calcium = 250 mg per day
    Weeks 3-8: calcium = 100 mg per day

The cause of the acute symptoms—weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis—is a drop in blood calcium levels. If these symptoms return at any time, you will need to give another emergency dose of calcium.

More Tips
    MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. Try to keep your squirrel away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone. Also, if he is in a tall cage, either place him in a smaller cage, or pad the bottom very well.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work.

this is what she posted in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby14
    He sleeps a lot and occasionally tries to crawl but get upset and he is very ill. He has never bit before and due to the pain is trying to bite me. Prior to this i was giving him a mixture of nuts and fruits. Mainly pecans and grapes because that was his favorite. I have Been giving him ensure to get something down him since i was giving him motrin. Also been giving him vitamin water. Should i try anything else food or medicine? I have dextrose i could try but would like some advise before doing so since i have little experience with squirrels.

Silvana..

Since i have had him he has been able to get plenty of sunlight and he has had no apparent injuries prior to this happening. 2 days ago he was his playful self.

I have him inside in a storage bin so he can not climb and have been rotating him on water and vitamin water. Him cage was about 3 and half feet tall but he was only in it at night to sleep.

mbd is an invisible disease until the last stages. It is very painful and their bones break really easily.

my other question is where are you - meaning what city - are squirrels legal in georgia and do you have any help like a rehabber or a vet (if squirrels are not legal then please be very careful a vet may be under orders to put to sleep illegal squirrels taken to them for treatment).

i'm glad he's been getting sunlight - that is very good for them - but mbd is a very sneaky disease and most people don't know about it until they're dealing with it.

the treatment milos mom suggested will help you 100%

Silvana..

If his diet was mainly grapes and pecans then it most likely is MBD and you should begin the MBD protocol, exactly as written above, IMMEDIATELY. His diet had virtually no calcium in it so although he is quite young he probably does have MBD.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Stop feeding him nuts and clean out all his stashes. He will NOT starve to death, I promise.

Here is a link for an MBD Treatment Kit. You should purchase this ASAP. http://www.henryspets.com/mbd-treatment-kit/

Make sure he has a constant supply of fresh water. And read and follow the Emergency MBD Treatment info I have posted on BOTH threads. It is absolutely critical that he get calcium NOW.

Im located in brunswick GA. I have called a few vets since they are family friends but they are not allowed to do any kind of treatments for him. Should i give him another tums today? How many mg should he be getting at one time?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast