Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot Caught in Cage

Default Foot Caught in Cage

Hi everyone,

Please help me! About 10 minutes ago my flyer was waiting for food to be served and was holding on to the door of the cage. When I opened it, his foot got caught in the hook of the cage and started bleeding! He was running around his cage screeching. Finally when he let me grab him after attacking me and hiding I noticed his toe is purple and what looked like to be falling off. I feel terrible and cant help but cry. I dont know if it actually ripped off or if its going to but please I need answers. I dont know what to do for the pain. I dont want it to get infected or for him to walk differently. PLEASE GIVE ME ANSWERS!

Default Re: Foot Caught in Cage

Hang on...I am looking for flyer help! It happens so don't totally freak out.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Hang on...I am looking for flyer help! It happens so don't totally freak out.
    Thank you sooo much. I feel so bad he wont let me go near him he is screeching in his cage. He is eating the food I gave him, but he cant hold himself up really. His toe is purple and its handing off his foot. I dont know if its going to fall off or if it already did. He wont let me touch him or come near his cage.

Calm down Mom! Is Jax still in distress .... crying. I'll let the Skuls or Anne address pain meds for flyers. I just wanted to let you know that my flyer Tucker lost several toes on both front paws. It does not affect him at all. He is as fast and sure footed as ever. No problem at all!

If it is damaged seriously, it probably will fall off but he will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Calm down Mom! Is Jax still in distress .... crying. I'll let the Skuls or Anne address pain meds for flyers. I just wanted to let you know that my flyer Tucker lost several toes on both front paws. It does not affect him at all. He is as fast and sure footed as ever. No problem at all!
    He doesnt seem to be making anymore noises, but when I try to see if he is okay he starts to panic. Are these pain meds available at any pharmacy or do they have to be prescribed? Thank you for letting me know about your little guy. I just feel horrible. His tiny foot is purple and is bleeding a lot. I just dont want him to hate me. I know he is in a lot of pain. Its killing me!

I believe infant Ibupropen would probably be used BUT only use it if the Skuls or Anne say it is OK. I have never used any meds with my flyers so I can't recommend it. Do you think it is just the toe or is his foot broken?

My vet has given my flyer Joanna Metacam.... do you have any of that on hand for the pain & swelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    My vet has given my flyer Joanna Metacam.... do you have any of that on hand for the pain & swelling?
    No I dont have any on hand. Is there anything similar that I can get at a pharmacy for now? There arent any Vets I can go to now where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxisacutie1 View Post
    No I dont have any on hand. Is there anything similar that I can get at a pharmacy for now? There arent any Vets I can go to now where I live.
    As stated above..... lets wait and see if Skul or Anne says the Infant Motrin is safe to give to Flyers....... (((hugs)))

I believe infant Ibupropen would probably be used BUT only use it if the Skuls or Anne say it is OK. I have never used any meds with my flyers so I can't recommend it. Do you think it is just the toe or is his foot broken?
    I believe its only the toe. The toe was bleeding and was purple after I cleaned it and he licked it. I just checked on him again and he seems a bit better. He is letting me cuddle him and he is jumping from me to the cage and running all over me. I turned him onto his back to see his feet and the one that was caught seems to be fine except for that one toe. He is running around and eating just fine. The one thing that I noticed, which may be from shock, is whenever he hears a noise come from his cage, he huddles in the corner and hides his face and stands VERY still. Is this going to change. He never did this before and I dont want him to be paranoid or shy around me now because he thinks he is going to get hurt.

As stated above..... lets wait and see if Skul or Anne says the Infant Motrin is safe to give to Flyers....... (((hugs)))
    Thank you soooo much for your help.

Is this going to change. He never did this before and I dont want him to be paranoid or shy around me now because he thinks he is going to get hurt.
    He is prob just on alert atm and should return back to his old ways in a few days --give him extra love and cuddles to help him along the way.

He is prob just on alert atm and should return back to his old ways in a few days --give him extra love and cuddles to help him along the way.
    I sure will.

Do you have a weight on your guy?

Do you have a weight on your guy?
    Unfortunately no

I am sending you a PM with Crystal's telephone number. She is one of our flyer experts and just texted me that you can call her. She is AWESOME and seriously means it when she says to call her.

I am sending you a PM with Crystal's telephone number. She is one of our flyer experts and just texted me that you can call her. She is AWESOME and seriously means it when she says to call her.
    Thank you so much! I appreciate EVERYTHING you have done!

I believe its only the toe. The toe was bleeding and was purple after I cleaned it and he licked it. I just checked on him again and he seems a bit better. He is letting me cuddle him and he is jumping from me to the cage and running all over me. I turned him onto his back to see his feet and the one that was caught seems to be fine except for that one toe. He is running around and eating just fine. The one thing that I noticed, which may be from shock, is whenever he hears a noise come from his cage, he huddles in the corner and hides his face and stands VERY still. Is this going to change. He never did this before and I dont want him to be paranoid or shy around me now because he thinks he is going to get hurt.
    Jax will be OK Mom. I'm glad to hear that he is a little better. I'm also glad it is just the toe as opposed to a broken foot. Tucker lost several toes as a baby from the cage. I adopted him minus several toes. Seriously, I never even notice that his front paws are different. If Jax's toe falls off it will not be a problem. He will get over this and be his normal sweet self. It was an accident. I know you hate it ... but accidents happen.

Jax will be OK Mom. I'm glad to hear that he is a little better. I'm also glad it is just the toe as opposed to a broken foot. Tucker lost several toes as a baby from the cage. I adopted him minus several toes. Seriously, I never even notice that his front paws are different. If Jax's toe falls off it will not be a problem. He will get over this and be his normal sweet self. It was an accident. I know you hate it ... but accidents happen.
    This means so much to me. Thank you SO much! Is there another cage I can get for him that will maybe reduce the risk of him getting his foot caught again? He has broken out of his cage a number of times. Because of his numerous break outs, I had to hook the door hinges a bit further on the cage to make it harder for him to squeeze through the gap in between the door and the face of the cage. I even use tie wraps to make it a bit harder for him.

I have used Suncoast Cages before for Sugar Gliders & Flyers --they are AWESOME!!
    http://www.sugar-gliders.com/sturdy-cage.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast