Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mange

rlook3 Guest

Default Mange

Hi
    I am a newby to this site (new Member) I need help!
    I have a little girl (Momma) squirrel that has mange or I think its mange. I noticed it a few days ago and today I noticed she has a toe on her back foot that is swelled and has no hair, it seems very sore as she will keep it up or tap it on the ground, could this be related to the mange? If so, please advise how to take care of her, she is so precious to me the highlight of my day. Life in the wild is hard enough and anything I can do to make it better, I will do.
    Thank you

Default Re: Mange

Is she a wild squirrel or one you raised and released? Also, can you get a clear picture of the spot and post it here? If it is a bump it could be one of several things. But a picture could help narrow it down, if possible. One of the experts on here can tell you how to treat it if we can figure out what it is.

I am just bumping this for rlook3.

She is having some problems navigating here on the board and sent me a pm. I hope by bumping this and my letting her know where to find it, we can get her little girl treated for whatever may be going on.

She really wants to help her wild little girl. Hoepfully with this bump, she will see your questions kastillo

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Brady
    I am just bumping this for rlook3.

She is having some problems navigating here on the board and sent me a pm. I hope by bumping this and my letting her know where to find it, we can get her little girl treated for whatever may be going on.

She really wants to help her wild little girl. Hoepfully with this bump, she will see your questions kastillo
    Hi Kelly, I just sent her a pm with the link to her
    thread in case she is having a problem finding it.
    Oye, I remember what it was like when I was a new member....

Thank you NINY !!!!!

Heck I have been on here for years and still have not learned many things.

Hi rlook3 Lets get your girl some help.

Yall get ahold of her??

rlook3 Guest

Thank you, Kastillo, Nancy & Kelly,
    Momma is a wild squirrel that I got to know about 4 years ago just after we moved into our new home. We have a large wood behind our home and she was the only brave one to come up to me when I threw her a few nuts. She is still cautious but I like that as I don't want her to trust the wrong people. I noticed back in October last year that she was losing some fur around the tips of her ears and around her eyes, that's when I started researching. I have been involved with a lot of animal rescues and have an idea of what mange in cats and dogs look like but didn't realize it could effect squirrels too. (How silly of me ). My research led me to ivermectin, but i also read it was very dangerous to her if I didn't know what I was doing, hence the thread, unfortunately I did not know how to use your site, my apologies. I checked with a local vet and they wanted me to bring her in......... Not a good idea :-( While struggling with what to do a week maybe longer passed by and I noticed her ears started to come back, in fact, all the ear tufts came back the fur around her eyes looked like it was coming back a little too so I thought maybe i had it wrong until this last Saturday her ears looked raw and the tips a little swollen i'm sure from scratching constantly and I noticed she was slightly irritable and not only scratching her ears but all over. I don't want this to go on any longer, she has a tough enough life outside, I want to help her. I purchased ivermectin paste 1.87% 'apple flavour' just in case I need it.
    Thank you again
    Rlook3

I have read other posts on here where people have successfully dosed wild squirrels with the ivermectin and it helped the mange.
    They hide it in a nut or some treat you know they will eat all of.
    I am not sure on how much to dose though.
    I will leave that up to the experts.
    Good luck!

You use a dab the size of an UNCOOKED grain of rice and put it in the ridges of a pecan or something so that it doesn't come off. Then you give three doses each a week apart.

rlook3 Guest

Thanks everyone for all your help and advise. , I will keep you posted. Quick question, when should I see an improvement?

Hello rlook,

I am glad you got your answer. I have never used the paste before. I have the liquid ivermectin.

As far as improvement? It takes a few weeks. First you will see the crusty red irritated skin clear up.

Then after a few weeks hair will start growing back. I have treated many wilds for mange. Had one that was nearly completely hairless and miserable. Watched her turn around and it was so rewarding.

Be sure to do your follow up doses as farrelli said.

Also, I copied and pasted this bit of information from another thread. Seemed important to the type of medicine you get:

Ivermectin is very strong, even the 1.87% horse wormer that is being discussed here.

It is the size of a grain of UNCOOKED rice - in other words, just a very small amount.

If you open the tube and it is a gel, use it as is. If it is a cream. squirt it all out into a container and stir it well before putting the tiny bit on a nut. The cream separates and needs to be stireed up first (which is why most companies have switched to a gel).

rlook3 Guest

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    I used the gel ivermectin and she seemed to pay it no mind just ate the nut as normal. I hope this works for her I feel so helpless, these little guys have a hard life as it is and anything I can do to make it a little easier, I will. How often can I use the med? And if I don't see any change after the 3 weeks or maybe a slight change what do I do next?
    Rlook3

I'm not sure about after 3 weeks, but cross that bridge when you get there.
    You are doing everything you can to help this little one, and you should feel good about that!

Treating for mange is once a week for 6-8 weeks. I have the dosing info for squirrels but it helps to have the squirrel's weight. Even if you can estimate by putting up a picture so someone with a similar age, breed can maybe tell you approximately what your squirrel weighs.
    How does your squirrel look body weight wise? I recently took in a squirrel who was thought to have mange bur her main problem was a malocclusion which kept her from grooming as well as eating properly.

rlook3 Guest

Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to give you an update. Momma's ears are looking better already they don't look raw and swelled anymore, i think they are starting to heal and she is not agitated. What wonderful people you all are. 2 more doses to go, I will keep you updated
    Thank you, thank you, thank you
    Rita

Yea !!! I am so happy to hear that.

Generally what I see as well. Redness and crusties leaving with a few days.
    Hair may take longer.

I have never needed to give any more than three doses but I am sure that depends on the squirrel and the case.

Great job rlook. Thanks so much for caring about her. She loves you for caring

That is such great news! And good job everyone above, walking Rita through this not-so-easy business of medicating a wild squirrel! Looks like Momma is well on her way to becoming a TSB Success Story.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

GREAT JOB RITA!!!

rlook3 Guest

Hi everyone, just an update, little late slow in doing so but a lot going on. Momma is doing great, looking great too. Her ears are completely healed, fur growing back slowly, pretty as ever. Thank you again for all your help
    Rlook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.