Thread: safe trapping

12three Guest

Default safe trapping

Our property is overpopulated with squirrels. I have a humane trap , but when a squirrel got caught in our trap it nearly killed itself by banging its head on the metal doors trying to escape.
    I am not a squirrel hater , but not a squirrel lover either. Shooting the squirrel dead might be more humane than trapping.
    It is Fall now and I believe this is the best (most humane) time to try to remove the squirrels from our property. There shouldn't be any very young squirrels .
    Is there any medication that I could put in the bait to either calm the squirrel or make him sleep for a while ?
    Also I have read that a squirrel must be taken 50 miles away to be released or it will return . What is the correct distance if this is not.
    My plan is to take them only about 5 miles away but on the other side of a very large lake.
    Unfortunatly my trap or be shot to death is the only option I'm giving these squirrels .
    What I plan to do is legal and don't care about anyones opinion about my character . I'm trying to to best and most humane thing.
    Thanks to all that have any positive suggestions.

Default Re: safe trapping

Unfortunately you have come to a site where squirrels rule. The best way perhaps to do what you are looking for for is to get a Havaheart trap from Home Depot or Lowes or put out the old fashion moth balls around. I hope you don't shoot these magnificent creatures. Perhaps you feel that they are vermin but go out side and look around.....your trees wouldn't be there unless there were squirrels. They deserve to live probably more than we do.
    Thanks for your time
    Pennys dad

Penny's dad-
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Garden71 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 12three
    Our property is overpopulated with squirrels. I have a humane trap , but when a squirrel got caught in our trap it nearly killed itself by banging its head on the metal doors trying to escape.
    I am not a squirrel hater , but not a squirrel lover either. Shooting the squirrel dead might be more humane than trapping.
    It is Fall now and I believe this is the best (most humane) time to try to remove the squirrels from our property. There shouldn't be any very young squirrels .
    Is there any medication that I could put in the bait to either calm the squirrel or make him sleep for a while ?
    Also I have read that a squirrel must be taken 50 miles away to be released or it will return . What is the correct distance if this is not.
    My plan is to take them only about 5 miles away but on the other side of a very large lake.
    Unfortunatly my trap or be shot to death is the only option I'm giving these squirrels .
    What I plan to do is legal and don't care about anyones opinion about my character . I'm trying to to best and most humane thing.
    Thanks to all that have any positive suggestions.

Why are you trying to get rid of the squirrels on your property????????

There are other ways then trapping to keep them off your property.

If trapping is the only option I'm sure someone here on the board can give you some info that will help.

Please don't kill them we will try to help you with this.

Ugh. I hate everything you are doing. Hard release is so tough on them.

For an adult squirrel add .4cc Children's Benadryl. It is cherry flavored so if mixed with peanut butter or something it won't taste awful. And don't leave the poor things in the trap for a long time - watch them when they are baited and get the squirrls the *&^% out of the traps ASAP.

12three Guest

Thanks ,
    for being respectful. I really don't want to harm any animal . I've even used glue traps to get rid of a tiny little mouse that was once in my house.The glue trap was not as humane as I would like . You practicly have to drown them in veg oil to pry them out of the glue and hope that they come unglued in 1 piece.
    Anyway 2 new neighborhoods have been built close to ours and I'm pretty sure alot of critters lost their home. I think that is why we have so many on our property . They leave absolutly NO fruit or nuts for us .I'm happy to provide for them but , but I would never leave them with NOTHING as they do to us.
    So I will gladly try any suggestions to keep them away.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

here is the truth for what's worth..

if you remove sqs from a place,
    you are creating a void.

right now the sqs are covering their territory and not allowing outsiders in... they rule the trees and the fruit they bare..
    if you remove these natives, and create the void,
    new sqs will come from everywhere to fill the void..
    you will cause havoc in the trees..
    and Mister, Mother Nature will make sure you learn a lesson, trust that!
    If you chose to interfere with her, she has wicked ways...
    Nature is the superior here on earth..she will win everytime.

As far as the extras from the new home sites, let MN worry about it..
    she has experience.
    She will give bigger stronger yields for you next year, she knows what she's doing.

My advise is put out a few bird baths and some seed,
    an adirondak chair, and chill out and enjoy them!
    build a few nest boxes... make it fun for yourself..

they really are super friendly and adorable. Give them a chance...

and if you insist on destroying them, get the hell outta here.

Garden71 Guest

When I went to Aruba they would wrap trees with sheet metal to prevent the iguanas from climbing the trees maybe that would help. Just like Jackie said " if you remove these natives, and create the void, new sqs will come from everywhere to fill the void.. you will cause havoc in the trees.."
    Give them a chance

I told someone else recently that the line from the movie may well be, "If you build it they will come.", but the one that suits this situation is more like "If you move them, MORE will come".
    As Jackie said, when you remove them, more replace them. You will never be able to even put a dent in their population by moving or killing them. You will waste a whole lot of your time and energy as well as creating very bad Karma for yourself.
    Please try to take the time to watch them and realize what clever and friendly creatures they are.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.