Thread: Aflatoxins and Corn

Default Aflatoxins and Corn

Aflatoxin Corn Given the Ok by FDA and USDA
    Written by Susan Thixton on October 2, 2012

"Deadly aflatoxin contaminated corn in two states have been given the ok by federal authorities to be mixed with non-contaminated corn and fed to animals, another state has applied for approval. Here’s the risks ignored by federal authorities – risks to both humans and animals. (Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska)

From the FDA website “Aflatoxins are toxic by-products of mold growth on certain agricultural commodities. Since their discovery in the early 1960′s, aflatoxins have been shown to be carcinogenic to laboratory test animals.”

Numerous pet food recalls in the past have been due to high aflatoxin levels. The deadliest in 2005 by Diamond Pet Food – the most recent less than a year ago by Cargill Animal Nutrition.

FDA allows human food to contain less than 20 parts per billion (ppb) aflatoxin, however some animal foods are allowed to contain up to 300 ppb (in corn for feedlot beef cattle). Pet foods must contain less than 20 ppb.

It appears that the FDA/USDA are allowing the aflatoxin contaminated grains to be fed to livestock only, with the exception of dairy animals (dairy cows fed aflatoxin contaminated grains have been linked to high levels of aflatoxin in the milk – posing a risk to human health). However there is no guarantee to this; Nebraska testing of corn showed almost 70 percent of 2,000 samples tested positive for aflatoxins. With the high rate of infected corn this year, any pet product (or human product) that contains corn could be of risk.

The concern doesn’t stop with high levels of aflatoxins in grain containing pet foods/treats. Very low levels of all types of mycotoxin contaminated grains are a risk to pets. Low levels of mycotoxins in pet foods have been linked to liver disease, kidney disease and cancer.

Another significant concern is the meat and/or internal organs from livestock (cattle/poultry) fed mycotoxin contaminated feed will as well be contaminated. A study from Veterinary Research Institute found ochratoxin A (another mycotoxin) in quail kidney, liver, muscles, yolk, and eggs six days after the birds were fed a single dose of the mycotoxin. Another study found “aflatoxins were deposited in all tissues” of broiler chickens fed a diet of aflatoxin contaminated feed. One more study found “the highest levels found were in the liver” for poultry fed a diet contaminated with aflatoxin.

It is short-sited of the FDA/USDA to allow aflatoxin contaminated feed to be fed to livestock animals. This certainly helps farmers suffering from drought ridden conditions this year, however for the FDA/USDA to ignore the risks to all who consume the animals fed these contaminated grains doesn’t make sense."
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Default Re: Aflatoxins and Corn

ew
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

Default Re: Aflatoxins and Corn

OMG, this is horrible! Can we do anything?
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.