Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: malocclusions

Default malocclusions

Hello, I am new to squirrel rehabbing since March 2012. I would like to ask the advise of someone who knows quite a bit about this. I have a squirrel now with crooked teeth. We believe she broke her jaw when fairly young. This is all healed now but she is left with issues. Her top incisors are almost parallel to the top of her mouth, not quite but almost and it looks permanent, they are growing to the right. Above the left top incisor she has an open cavity into her nose, she constantly sneezes. Since her top and bottom teeth do not line up her bottom incisors grow long, particularly the left bottom incisor. It has been trimmed several times. Once her tooth was growing almost into her cheek before it was trimmed. She has been given things to help her trim them down but I am wondering is she will be able to be released. That is my main question. I know you do not have the squirrel to look at, but if you could give me some guidelines and thoughts on the subject perhaps it will helps us. We do not want to release her if she will die due to not being able to eat within a short few months. I have researched this, that is how I found the squirrel board. Most say they can not be released. Thank you Slee

Default Re: malocclusions

Bumping so someone that knows, may help.

As always --a pic would help us better in seeing what the real issue is. I have a NR squirrel name Marven that was born with Malocclusion and he had his four front teeth removed at seven months old and he is living a good life with us now and will remain with us for all long as he has --Marven is 1 1/2 years old.

From what you are describing it sounds like your squirrel is having problems with its teeth because they are not lining up right due to the accident, therefore, the squirrel is no longer able to gnaw on items to keep them trimmed down to normal size...... this with in its self will make your precious baby a NR squirrel as it would eventually get out in the wild and not be able to eat as its teeth grew beyond normal size and got in the way of eating.

You have two choices here....... you can keep on trimming the teeth your self with the help of Bach Remedy (it relaxes the squirrel) or you can take your squirrel to a certified vet like I did and have the front teeth pulled and have to chop its food up that the squirrel will eat from that day forward...... nothing will change for your squirrel except for the way it eats.

Marven's Food Before:

Marven's Food After: --feeding size

Thank you Skul for bumping my question.

She eats her food okay with the exception that she will eat and sort of tilt her head so it moves the food over and the longer the left incisor gets the more she will do this. I have trimmed her teeth and she tolerated this, I had her wrapped up. I have given her cuttlebone, bark, limbs and pine cones. Is there anything else I can give her? We are hanging onto her until about Nov 3, I will check her teeth and see if she is keeping them trimmed down better since the last trim.

So you have a pic of Marven's teeth before the pulling? I may try to send a pic if I can figure out how to do this.

What is the Bach remedy?

Thank you

The pics of the food above was to show you how I have to feed Marven since he had the surgery to remove his front teeth....... he is eating well.

Bach Remedy is a OTC spray that is used to help calm an animal when they are stressed........
    we use it on squirrels for many reason, one being when they get their teeth trimmed.

Bach Remedy:
    http://www.henryspets.com/bachs-rescue-remedy-spray/
    http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/bach-rescue-remedy.html

Here are a few PICS of Marven before he had his surgery.

I am going to try and post these pics from today. I noticed her bottom teeth needed trimming in just two weeks. one pic is blurry, I'm sorry, holding a squirrel and camera is not always easy as you know, plus she was more difficult today. You can see the open area up into her nose above her top teeth on her left. I tried using the dowel but her top teeth are so angled and close to her gum area nothing will go behind them. One is before trimming the other is after. I'm disappointed for her that she is NR, but I wanted to be certain of it. I just do not see how she will manage with her teeth since they do not line up. And since I am new to this I guess I still need answers on maybe she could be released? I'm sorry I just feel bad for her. How much time should I give the bachs to take affect before I trim next time? Thank you.

not having luck with pics, it tells me they are too large for the board. I will keep trying. need to learn how to resize I guess.

I use Photobucket.com to post my pics....... just upload to their site then choose the 4th code (IMG code) and post on here --perfect size every time.

Use the Bach Spray on them and on their feet then wait around 15 -20 minutes to let them settle down....... then wrap in a small blanket like a burrito with just the face showing, then clip.

Teeth Trimming:
    http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/trimteeth.htm

I have a NR with teeth that grow the same way. I trim them every couple of weeks I know there is a long term risk of odontoma (spelling?} with long term trimming. I bought some high quality trimmers and Nougie hates it as much today as the first time we did it but he forgives me in about five minutes. I don't think squirrels hold a grudge
    Pixel Jones "Released" Best squirrel I ever had.

I downloaded pics to photobucket but I do not see this 4th code you are talking about, I'm sorry. I have a Mac and it is different than a regular computer. (and not in a good way)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

I believe it says IMG Code on photobucket.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

if you e-mail the pics to me at milosmom041610@gmail.com I will downsize and post them for you.

Please do it soon as I am on my way to bed.

EDIT: Never mind, it looks like you got it.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

I sent the two pics but they got separated by another post. Not sure why they are so big! What a rookie I am!

You can see a little better in the second pic her top teeth how slanted they are. And notice the open cavity up into her nose on her left. This is how she healed so this is permanent. She sneezes constantly and some food does get in there but I think she manages to get it out for the most part.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

If you need a dental vet with sq experience DrDan Johnson is in Raliegh
    919-844-9166
    he knows sq teeth!

Thank you for the vet in raleigh. I was thinking long term about just having her teeth removed since it can cause long term problems with continual trimming. I will be moving to washington state soon, does anyone know a vet there that will remove squirrel teeth? What is the cost (estimate) of removing teeth?

So do most of you house your squirrels inside or do you have a large enclosure outside for the nice weather and then bring them in for the winter? Since I guess we will be keeping this squirrel I have to think about that sort of thing. I want her to be happy as possible. She does love to play with me and she initiates. I would have never thought it possible to play with a squirrel if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

What is the difference between the liquid and the spray of the bach's remedy? I tried the bach's on my grey today to trim her teeth and it's almost like it had the opposite effect on her. I put it on her ears and her feet pads. Any thoughts?

Hello squirrels lovers. I went back to a thread I started about malocclusions since I have a female with this problem. I needed to take her to the vet. She got a funky smell to her mouth/nose area. We have decided to remove the upper teeth. I looked back over the threads and Rhapsody sent pics of Marven and food she cuts up for him. I wonder if I could chat with you Rhapsody and see how you handled this after surgery as far as eating right away and how long it took to recover. What should I look for to make sure everything is ok after surgery. The vet I have is super nice. She hasn't done surgery on a squirrel but has other rodents. I feel confident in her. We are not removing the lower teeth so I will need to continue to cut them. I plan on getting a dremmel instead of using the clippers I have. Please help me with this as I am a worried squirrel mom.

I'm wondering, now that I can see the open space up into her nose, if your squirrel perhaps has a cleft palate. My NR Tessie (7 years old next week!!!!) has teeth which grow much like you've described. I trim them myself (with hubby's help for the uppers). The lowers seem to grow much, much faster, and need trimming much more often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast