Thread: Bot Fly Pupae

Default Bot Fly Pupae

I was letting my squirrels play in their release cage, and I noticed something dark and shiny partially buried in the ground (INSIDE the cage). To my horror, I realized it might be a bot fly larvae. From all the descriptions I've read, when they fall out of the warble pore, they bury in the ground to over winter for about 10 months before they start the life cycle over. There are many wild squirrels in my yard, and it would not be unheard of if this bug dropped out of one of them. BUT RIGHT INTO THE BOTTOM OF MY RELEASE CAGE!!! YUCK!!
    Just wanted to show yall the picture and see what you thought:
    I flushed that sucker right after, and will be keeping my eye on the ground for more. I'm on a mission to wipe out the bot population in my yard (probably mission impossible

Default Re: Bot Fly Pupae

Oh that's hideous I saw one come out of one of my wilds last season- I got that bugger and smashed it dead- they are so gross

I believe this is a moth or butterfly chrysallis, not a bot fly.

I hope you are right. I don't want those things anywhere around my babies.

Is there anything I can treat the ground with to kill the damn things. My Little Man was covered in em and tho the vet got em off (surgically) there are released babies out back with warble holes. I'd love to stop the fuc%&rs in their tracks--but what? Does anything eat the nasty things? I have a big ol duck that's always rooting for goodies but I'm guessing they're too gross for ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs
    Is there anything I can treat the ground with to kill the damn things. My Little Man was covered in em and tho the vet got em off (surgically) there are released babies out back with warble holes. I'd love to stop the fuc%&rs in their tracks--but what? Does anything eat the nasty things? I have a big ol duck that's always rooting for goodies but I'm guessing they're too gross for ducks.

Shouldn't be hard to google up the right poison to spray. I got a license to kill from the Dept of Agriuclture and with it I can buy any of those chemicals. It's only a class at the Extension Dept... so might look into going there and getting your license to kill

p.s. That is a moth coccon.. one of those pretty ones I think. put it back outside please.

Here's a pretty informative link on bot flies and infestation in squirrels
    http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/slansky/bo...w.htm#whattodo
    I compared mine to the larvae picture from this site, you are right, it is a cocoon. Those bots just freak me out. Don't want any on my little ones.