Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROPER FEEDING TECHNIQUE!!

Default PROPER FEEDING TECHNIQUE!!

This video, of Costa Rican member stosh feeding his adorable baby Luna, is an excellent example of correct feeding technique. Please watch, note, and remember:

* 1cc syringe, until babies are at least 5-6 weeks old, eyes open

* Baby is held upright - after eyes open they may be fed on all fours if they prefer, on a table or your lap. ALWAYS keep one hand on the baby.

* syringe is angled approx. 45* UP toward baby's mouth

* feed SLOWLY....allow baby to swallow....push SLIGHTLY, then wait

VIDEO:

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-08-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Video was not showing up, Stosh resent it to me and I posted.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: PROPER FEEDING TECHNIQUE!!

I find that I have much more control of the syring if I press with the palm of my hand and pinch the sides of the syringe with my fingers. When I tried to feed pressing with my thumb ( like in the movies...ha !) sometimes I would accidentally squirt too much--too quickly...causing a choke or a sneeze.
    Especially if you have a "sticky" syringe that is hard to push....
    I fill 7 or 8 at a time, and some are harder to push than the others. I keep them in a coffee mug of very warm water...
    and because it takes a long time to S-L-O-W-L-Y feed 10 or 12 ccs...and the water starts to cool....I keep a thermos of VERY HOT water close, to add to the syringe mug and maintain a tasty , warm formula. You will notice that a picky eater can sometimes start eating if you change to a WARM syringe.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

EXTRA step... to remove any AIR in syringe.

When filling syringes... fill almost full--( no nipple)Then be sure to tap the handle several times on the counter...with the tip pointed upwards... with the nipple off.
    You will see the small bubble that is at the bottom of the syringe...float up to the top and burst. THIS assures that you don't pump AIR into your squirrels mouth . That bubble can sometimes slide up thru the formula--during feeding.Then add the nipple...pump the formula to the nipple tip...then re fill to FULL..
    Now you have a full syringe--no bubbles....>>>> THIS is how we do it in Costa Rica...ha !

Stosh, can I please share your video on my facebook page?
    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.
    So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
    Jack Layton.

I do a little variation on that. I do hold them upright, but I sit on the floor, with my knee bent. I actually put the squirrel on my leg, so their legs are not dangling, but they are still in an upright position (next time I have a little one, will get a pic). I always sit on the floor to feed, just how I am comfortable. Then when they get older, they still lie on my leg, body stretched out (I think I have pics of that).
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Great video Stosh. I too feed my Squirt just like you Pappy. I put him on my leg as i sit on the floor and he just stretches out and loves it. He never liked being held in the air just always went to my leg and once he gets the syringe he sprawls right out with his upper body up and lower body laying. Its so cute especially when he pushes his little hands on mine and starts kneading.

Quote Originally Posted by iwonka

Stosh, can I please share your video on my facebook page?
    Absolutely--use it...and ANY member who wishes to re-post it has my permission...
    If a video might help a new mommy or save a baby from aspiration pneumonia...It would be just great.

Some babies ( LUNA included) can sure make a mess during feeding... getting extra Fox Valley all over their face.Soooooo
    I keep a supply of tissues nearby to wipe her lips, mouth and face when it gets to be noticable. This prevents her from inhaling the milk thru her nose, because sometimes she will "snort" and if her upper lip is covered in milk, she can INHALE it thru her nose....A quick wipe, and on to the next syringe.
    I use toilet tissue squares. I buy the brown, un bleached, un-scented type.
    I even seperate the two plys to get an extra soft tissue.
    Sometimes, I also use these tissues for stimulating her to pee & poop...works great.

First off I am not an expert by any means and others on here have a lot more experience than I, but these have saved several little guys that I couldnt get to suckle or were REALLY little. I lucked out and found these on EBAY as they are very expensive. They are worth every penny with my bunnies and the few squirrels I have dealt with. They are lab feeding needles and have a stnls ball on the end. The ones I found were a little to long as I shake some now, I wish they were 1.5 or 2". Here's a pic and this is a great diameter. I have curved also and a little bigger but I think these are the best.

Wow, I've never seen these before. How do they work, similar to a syringe, or you attach to a syringe?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Its a stainless feeding tube, right? Looks like what I use to feed baby pigeons with (well, except the one I have is curved.) Is it the same?
    Mary...

Not a tube, I suppose you could tube with one but you may puncture them. They are as stiff and strong as a 16ga needle. They will fit standard slip on and LUER lock syringes and they are very easily cleaned. I have used them for bunnies, squirrels, and two birds. I found if a baby is dehydrated or will not take anything these are the next best thing to tubing one. You can slip it in the side of their mouth and control exactly what they get. You see in the pics I have used two out of this pack for numerous feedings. I have never even tried the curved ones I have. If you can find some, the shorter would be better for better control with teenie critters. You have to keep your finger on them once they start to suckle so if they lunge a little or push up they don't bruise their mouth. I used to fuss and fight with trying to get them to take something now I can pop it in the corner and here we go. For my goats milk I use Meyenberg Evaporated, twice the nutrients with the same liquid, it's very rich. You can dilute once they are up and running, bunnies that is. I was using 2-4 cans a day for awhile. When FoxValley and all else fails I usually can get this in them.

OH!!! Almost forgot BALL SIZE!!! I do not recommend anything smaller than the size shown...3mm

Will have to look around for them, would be a good thing with some of those 'lock jaws' too! Thank you.
    And I didn't know Mayenburg did an evaporated gm! Now have to look for that, too!

Found it, but no one near me carries it, so would have to order online. Will have to see if Market Basket could order it, as they carry the whole milk.
    Mary...

Ok, so I use the proper technique, but I have a question: my little guy keeps putting his entire mouth over the catac nipple... I swear it must touch the end of his throat when he does it. Obviously that makes me worried as to the risk of aspiration. When I try to pull it back he just pulls it back in, pushing himself forward or grabbing with his little paws. Should I cut the nipple? But then the flow of formula will be greater. Which is worse??

Leave him be, just hold back the plunger so he cannot suck the whole thing dry by himself. I have two mega-suckers here this season and they put the nipple ALL the way in and make this ghastly "gaaaak! gaaaaak!" noise as they are drinking.....takes some getting used to, for sure! But they are fine.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylika
    Ok, so I use the proper technique, but I have a question: my little guy keeps putting his entire mouth over the nipple... I swear it must touch the end of his throat when he does it. Obviously that makes me worried as to the risk of aspiration. When I try to pull it back he just pulls it back in, pushing himself forward or grabbing with his little paws. Should I cut the nipple? But then the flow of formula will be greater. Which is worse??
    As you can see--there is a space between the front incisors and the rear teeth. I believe the baby squirrel will hold on the the nipple with the back teeth
    All my young ones "swallow" the entire nipple.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm glad to know that it's ok! Thanks for the advice. I'll let him do his thing. He's a very avid feeder; he gets impatient and sucks on the nipple very hard. I feed him at a rate of about 2 minutes per 1 cc syringe (filled fully, so I guess 12 cc). Is that too slow?

Smile Re: PROPER FEEDING TECHNIQUE!!

I have a baby thats about 6-7 weeks old. I got her on GNC Cat milk powder formula. They were using 1-1 ratio. My question... after the baby eats a few cc's she kinda like gsps for asir.. no chocking sound.. we blow in her face to get her to snap out of it. can someone please advise me what we need to do or should I be worried? We have only had her since monday, otherwise seems all ok. thank you for ny help!

Welcome...
    First- Cat formula is a No-NoIt is too high in certain ingredients ( not sure which...Fats ?) and not suitable for squirrels. In a pinch...powered puppy formula is better ( temporarily ONLY)
    Second- you should order some Fox Valley formula...or in the mean time make some Home-Made Goat's Milk Formula....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goat’s Milk FORMULA

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third-- We need PHOTOS...
    you can e-mail them to me and I will post them.

ANNA---You can start your own thread for your squirrel

At Top of Page click FORUM
    Scroll down to section called "GENERA:L"
    the 4 th option is "The NURSERY" -click on that !!
    at top --click on Post New Thread
    Add your TITLE
    ( of your new thread)
    Add your message...Then at bottom--click on SUBMIT New Thread

THAT's IT...EASY !

thank you so much for replying! I have Esbilac puppy formula on hand I was scared to change from the cat milk that shes been on for 4 weeks. Please advise. also how do i start a new thread... may i add my whole house has been ill so I am a little tired . please let me know as I am trying very hard to save this baby. If i change the milk how will i know if it creates a problem?
    Thank,
    kathy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast