Thread: Normal weight gain and eating

Default Normal weight gain and eating

I am wondering, I know that he amount of formula fed would drop off as they eat more on their own but is there a top limit for those not yet eating on their own? I ask because at 207g/6 weeks old/fox squirrel this absolutely precious baby is eating 15ml at 4 times per day but is only just beginning to shred her rodent blocks. At this rate, she will be eating 20 ml per feeding before long I am sure because she keeps gaining weight and wanting more formula than she is given(so it seems). I'm just wondering if that's normal or is there a point when it's too much formula? Also, her weight gains seem to be between 7-12g increase everyday, is that pretty normal?
    Sow seeds of love, it's always better to harvest love.

Default Re: Normal weight gain and eating

This chart might help;

Name:  HealthyDietJan2014.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  124.2 KB

Default Re: Normal weight gain and eating

Quote Originally Posted by Rosallie View Post
    I am wondering, I know that he amount of formula fed would drop off as they eat more on their own but is there a top limit for those not yet eating on their own? I ask because at 207g/6 weeks old/fox squirrel this absolutely precious baby is eating 15ml at 4 times per day but is only just beginning to shred her rodent blocks. At this rate, she will be eating 20 ml per feeding before long I am sure because she keeps gaining weight and wanting more formula than she is given(so it seems). I'm just wondering if that's normal or is there a point when it's too much formula? Also, her weight gains seem to be between 7-12g increase everyday, is that pretty normal?
    When we tell folks to feed 5-7% of their weight, it’s just as a minimum requirement for proper nutrition. As they get older most squirrels will take amounts beyond the 7% limit...many will take more than 10% of their weight and not suffer any ill effects. If he wants more at a feeding then let him have more. It’s more important that the increase in consumption is allowed gradually than how much he is actually consuming. He probably is still hungry if he is not consuming his block and still shredding it. Loose stool would be your indicator that your guy has had too much formula too quickly. If stool remains firm then by all means increase the amount he gets if he seems to want more.

Also, we never recommend weaning or withholding formula. We think it’s best to let them dictate when they want to cut back on formula or give it up completely. Many squirrels will continue to drink formula from a bowl when they’re placed in a release cage at 16 weeks. Formula is your best protection from your squirrel developing MBD.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (01-21-2021)