Thread: Just 7 weeks, food questions

Default Just 7 weeks, food questions

My 4 lil squirrels will be I think just 7 weeks tomorrow. I have had Kaytee's rodent block in with them since b4 their eyes were open and they have been kinda nibbling on those a little, but mostly all formula so far. HHB's are being shipped out to me today (after reading how much better nutritionally they are)...but I'm seeing some scary choking hazard threads on HHB's. Is it good enough to quarter them or should they be soaked in formula for awhile at this age? We have also introduced broccoli and at least a couple have liked that. Also, I have the healthy diet chart and where it lists safe flowers...are they talking the flower itself or the leaves of the flower?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Just 7 weeks, food questions

You know, I have been on this board for years and have never seen a choking situation with the HHBs...and then we get 2 within a week! I guess 2012 babies are just big piggies! I do not know if the harder blocks force them to chew more where the slightly chewy HHBs don't or what the heck is going on, but to be sure, at first, I would soak them in the formula - you can set one or two in a little dish with it, just because it is easier to swallow something wet than something dry...

Thanks...I guess I would rather be safe than sorry. The idea of choking freaks me out a little How about the flowers...anyone know if it's the stem/leaves or the flower itself they would or can eat?

If it says flowers, it is the blossoms they are referring to. Do NOT feed florist flowers, arrangements from the grocery, or any of those - the incidence of cancer among the workers who grow and harvest things like commercial roses is sky high - they are usually grown in countries with muc more lax laws concerning pesticides.

We have tons of wild roses where I live, which produce big rose hips in late summer and both of them are loved by my boy.

heehee, I told the General you said he was a piggy, and he doesn't seem upset at all.

p.s. Them is mighty cute squirrels!