Thread: Baby Squirrel

mishellemac Guest

Default Baby Squirrel

I need HELP! I am in Toronto and my friend found 3 baby squirrels. 2 of her siblings died before I got to her. I have had her over night and I am giving her pedialyte and keeping her warm. I called the TWC but they cannot take her. Is there anywhere else in the GTA that can help?

Default Re: Baby Squirrel

Baby Squirrel Information

1) Is the baby uninjured? Is mom still around? and if so, warm the baby and place in a safe spot where mom can reunite if possible. Mom will not take a cold baby!
    2) Okay, so you couldn’t reunite with mom. Start by warming the baby in a plastic container full of fleece or tee shirt material. (Not towels as the loops catch little claws and can cause injury) Place the container half on a heating pad that is set on low. It needs to be a heating pad that does not have an automatic shut-off. It needs to be half on and half off so that the baby can get off of the heat if it gets too hot.
    3) Check to see if the baby is dehydrated. You can do this by gently picking up the skin on the back of the baby’s shoulders. If the skin goes right back down it is not dehydrated. If the skin remains “tented” for a time, you will need to rehydrate with Pedialyte or homemade Pedialyte.

Hydrate them right away (use a 1cc syringe and go slow)........ give some homemade pedialyte every hour for six to eight hours and then you can start start feeding them some formula made from goats milk (if they are thoroughly hydrated).
    Pedialyte for no more than 24 hours!!! Too much sodium!!

Homemade Pedialyte
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

Feed slowly with a 1cc syringe - head UP tail DOWN
    Keep warm at all time – If no heating pad available fill bottle with hot water (cover bottle with sock) or fill a sock with dry rice or beans and microwave. Be sure to squish the rice or beans around to be sure there are no hot spots that might burn the babies.

4) Once rehydrated begin to feed Fox Valley formula which can be ordered from http://foxvalleynutrition.com or while waiting for that to arrive use recipe below. As a general rule you will feed 5 - 7% of their body weight per feeding

Homemade Goats Milk Recipe -

1 cup Goats Milk * (if can - dilute)
    1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
    1/3 cup Heavy Cream (frig section)

(lasts 72 hours in frig)
    5) This information is really just meant to get you through until you can get the baby or babies to an experienced rehabber. If you are here on The Squirrel Board, you have access to all of the information you could ever need about squirrels. Most importantly there is generally someone here who can help to find you someone who can take the babies and prepare them for life in the trees. The trees are where they are meant to be and people here know how to get them safely there!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Welcome, thank you for caring.

Please keep checking here often - there might be someone in GTA who might be able to help you.
    Since you have just joined, your private messaging option is not activated yet.
    Will you feel comfortable giving your email address here?
    Otherwise - please keep checking often throughout the day,
    there is someone who might be able to help.

EDIT: do NOT give any babies to TWC if possible. They are NOT squirrel-friendly to put it mildly.
    I just contacted someone in GTA, so please keep checking often

I posted in life threatening to try to find help. Hold on tight!

I can take her. I have formula on hand and am very experienced with babies. I am a bit sick with the stomach flu today. Is there any way that youcan bring her to me? I am in Mississauga. Where are you located?

Awesome! You really are a "Squirrel Friend"!!!

mishellemac Guest

Squirrel Friend - I absolutely can take her to you. I live down town Toronto and she was found by Casa Loma by a friend. He said he could not find the nest and didn't see the mother (I know it can take some time to see mom) but her 2 siblings died (I think they were out there for while). From what I can tell she is not injured. Although she did have a bit of blood on her nose when I first got her. She has not taken a lot of fluids as I am worried to get any into her lungs and she is not sucking..maybe 4 cc's since I have had her. She had one bowl movement but no urination. She is still very dehydrated . You can send me you contact information to mishellemac@hotmail.com. Thank you so much!!!! I would love to raise her but know that is not best for her she needs someone who knows what they are doing. She is a stong liitle girl with a lot of fight. Thanks again - Mishelle

mishellemac Guest

Thank you everyone for all your help! You are all angels!

Mishelle you are a really special human being! Thank-you for caring enough to know what is best for the little one! You are awesome!!!

mishellemac Guest

Lastly - yes I was not happy with the TWC! I know they are overwhelmed but not a chance I would take her there. I would do eveything I could do to keep her alive!

Hi, My friend will take care of her for a couple of days because I have a stomach flu. She is experienced too. Her name is Kristen. Here is my Kristen will also be closer to you to bring out. She is in Etobicoke.

Any moderators, can you please take these #s down once she has them? I couldn't PM her.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 09-01-2012 at 11:25 AM.

ok, I just emailed the same info to you.

Thank you Astra for once again giving me the heads up on this situation. You're a God send. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfriend
    Thank you Astra for once again giving me the heads up on this situation. You're a God send. Thanks.
    Thank you for always opening your home to any fuzzer in need, SF!!! If not for you...

astra for this thread and SammysMom for some others -- you two are terrific at alerting us all to babies in need!

Squirrelfriend you are the BEST.....feel better, squirrel angel.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.