Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Metabolic Bone Disease symptoms

squirrelangel Guest

Default Re: Metabolic Bone Disease symptoms

I have 4 babies in addition to Rocky that are only about 2 weeks old. Should I use a lamp on them as well and if so, about how long every day? And while I'm on a roll what's the best daily diet I should use when Rocky gets back to healthy again? This is all new to me so I'm full of questions!

How old is rocky? I dont think you need to put the light on them till they are weaned from the esbliac milk, but im no sure, gammas baby would probably know for sure, and you can also pm island rehabber, she is great as are the other rehabbers on this board.

squirrelangel Guest

Rocky is 6 months old.

squirrelangel Guest

I don't mind your questions at all. I need all the help I can get. Yes, Rocky has been weaned for about 2-3 months from esbilac. His personality has changed alot since he's been ill. He has never bitten me or even "chattered" his teeth at me until a few days ago. Do you think this is normal since he isn't feeling well?

Mars Guest

I just noticed that garlic made it on the list. It maybe a fair source of calcium but is in the onion family and should not be fed to squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammas Baby
    Thanks for pointing that out Mars. I'll remove it from my list, and let 4skwerlz know about it.
    Thanks, Mars. What would we do without you! I am changing the master list. Also a couple other changes. I will post it again so anyone that wants to can copy it.

Emergency Calcium Sources for Squirrels with MBD
    molasses
    calcium carbonate or calcium glubonate
    slice of orange or other citrus to aid calcium absorption
    natural sunlight or a full-spectrum light (at least 30 min/day)

Good Calcium Sources (high-calcium/low-phosphorus)
    collard greens, mustard spinach, papaya, turnip greens, tofu, w/calcium sulfate, parsley, fresh, beet greens, dandelion greens, Chinese cabbage, looseleaf lettuce, figs (fresh), kale, hard boiled egg with shell

Moderate Calcium Sources
    yogurt, low-fat, plain or fruit flavored, valencia oranges, chickory, dried figs, green cabbage, watercress, endive, grapes, celery, green beans, red cabbage, crabapple, radish, swiss chard, tofu, pear, apple, with skin, pineapple, winter squash, watermelon, honeydew melon, cucumber, cherry, romaine lettuce, strawberry, broccoli, apricot

Low Calcium Foods (Treats only)
    brussels sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, cantaloupe, summer squash, apple, without skin, seedless raisins, almonds, pumpkin, zucchini, alfalfa sprouts, peach, asparagus, banana, sweet potatoes, walnuts, nuts of any kind

Notes: A slice of lemon, orange, or other citrus will aid in the absorption of calcium. The calcium in some foods, such as beans, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and spinach, contain substances (oxalates and phytates) that decrease calcium absorption. This makes these foods poor sources of calcium. Although dairy contains high calcium, because of their moderate phosphorus levels they are only moderately good calcium sources. Avoid pumpkin seed kernals and sunflower seeds! They are very high in phosphorus and will cause calcium loss.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Thank you for he information..I know iM GUILTY OF DOING alot of reading but no, replying..I think its really7 nice of you to take the time to give out all the grat advice to taking care of these sweet little angels..
    Rachel............

Critter_Queen Guest

Please also note that squirrels with MBD have achy bones and joints from the lack of density. Giving them a continuous source of supplemental heat is a must until the squirrel is spending most of its time off of the heat voluntarily. You can provide supplemental heat with a heating pad on low (sometimes medium, but be careful...heating pads vary!!!) under half of the box or carrier or under the cage floor. Make sure the squirrel can NOT come into contact with any part of the pad or cord. You need to pad the floor of whatever you keep them in as well.

I have had bad luck keeping a recovering MBD squirrel in a wire cage. One week after healing from her initial broken leg, she re-broke it in an 18" tall wire cage. I would recommend a large aquarium with a 1/2" hardware cloth top. Bunge strap the hardware cloth top to the aquarium by wrapping the bunges (one in the front and one in the back...more in the middle depending on the size of the aquarium) around the entire thing and hooking the hooks to each other over the top. They can chew the plastic rim on the aquarium, but that's about it. My MBD squirrel chewed through a rubbermaid tote and a pet carrier before I resorted to the aquarium. Just be sure you don't leave it anywhere that is too warm! Keep the squirrel in this "cage" until it has been eating a high-calcium diet WILLINGLY for at LEAST a month.

squirrelangel Guest

Once I changed Rocky's (which has MBD) diet to the high and moderate calcium foods his appetite has lessened. He has had the FSL on him for approx 22 hours. His alertness has risen slighty and his mood doesn't seem quite as negative but now I'm concerned with his appetite. Are there any tricks or different preparations that I should try? Also, should he be drinking plain water or should I mix anything in with it? I apologize for seeming ignorant to this matter-I just want to make sure that I'm doing what's best for him.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelangel
    Once I changed Rocky's (which has MBD) diet to the high and moderate calcium foods his appetite has lessened. He has had the FSL on him for approx 22 hours. His alertness has risen slighty and his mood doesn't seem quite as negative but now I'm concerned with his appetite. Are there any tricks or different preparations that I should try? Also, should he be drinking plain water or should I mix anything in with it? I apologize for seeming ignorant to this matter-I just want to make sure that I'm doing what's best for him.
    Any change in food can affect his appetite. You can try sprinkling the calcium carbonate powder on a nut (just one a day). Which foods does he seem to like/dislike?
    Henry's Healthy Pets

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

squirrelangel Guest

He likes oranges, radishes, bananas. I've also put celery, cucumbers, brocolli, and yogurt in his bowl but he doesn't touch it. A variety of nuts and corn has always been his favorite but i've taken those away since he's been sick. I've tried putting some molasses and/or yogurt in his water bottle but he doesn't seem to drink very much of it.

He likes oranges, radishes, bananas. I've also put celery, cucumbers, brocolli, and yogurt in his bowl but he doesn't touch it. A variety of nuts and corn has always been his favorite but i've taken those away since he's been sick. I've tried putting some molasses and/or yogurt in his water bottle but he doesn't seem to drink very much of it.
    That's good he like oranges. Rocky needs to learn to like some green veggies like Chinese cabbage, collard greens, or mustard spinach. Try the Chinese cabbage (bok choy), as squirrels seem to like it pretty well. If he won't even try it, then you can smear a tiny bit of peanut butter (the "natural" kind) on it just to get him nibbling. You can also try dipping things in molasses--they like the taste, plus molasses has LOTS of calcium in it. Try dipping a pecan half in the yogurt. Since he likes bananas, try the fresh figs--a lot of squirrels like them. Also, try the hard-boiled egg WITH the shell still on. You should also get some rodent block and try dipping it in molasses. You can also try soaking a piece of bread in Esbilac or yogurt. These are just a few ideas. It sometimes takes a few days to get them to switch to a new diet. Don't give up. Before long, Rocky will be scarfing up his healthy new foods with no problem!
    Henry's Healthy Pets

squirrelangel Guest

That was wonderful advice! Thanks a million! I mixed all of the things that I listed earlier in peanut butter and a little honey and he hasn't stopped eating yet! How about his water- should I do anything with that or just leave it plain?

That was wonderful advice! Thanks a million! I mixed all of the things that I listed earlier in peanut butter and a little honey and he hasn't stopped eating yet! How about his water- should I do anything with that or just leave it plain?
    I would just leave that plain. Also you'll want to gradually reduce the peanut butter and honey until he's just eating the good stuff plain. Please keep us posted on how Rocky's doing with his diet.

One other thing, since Rocky has MBD, I would take him outside IN HIS CAGE for an hour a day, in addition to his Full Spectrum Light (FSL) of course. Just for the next month or so, until he's better, and only while you're there to supervise. It can be in the shade, and a screened porch is also okay. Sunlight has even more Vitamin D than the FSL.

Good luck.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

squirrelangel Guest

Thank you all for the advice you've given me. You all are lifesavers! I'll keep you all posted on Rocky's recovery!!

Critter_Queen Guest

I agree with everything 4skwerlz said and am VERY glad to hear Rocky is eating his veggies. Just remember with the PB and Honey that a little goes a LOOOONG way...he'll eat it if you just drizzle a tad bit over the whole bowl...

I would suggest taking him in his cage outside, but not on a screened porch. The reason is that the screen will block some if not most of the UVA and UVB rays. Under a nice tree is probably a good place, and it only has to be for abot 30 minutes or so...Longer is fine as long as he's not freaking out about being out there in his cage...don't want any broken bones!

And please don't think we think you are ignorant...we WANT to help you and we WANT to give you the best advice we can to help you help Rocky. We've all made mistakes, rehabbers included...it's just important that we learn from it so others can learn from us.

squirrelangel Guest

Hello! I just noticed when Rocky got up to eat that he's tucking one of his legs under him when he walks. He still doesn't have alot of use in his hind legs but could that leg possibly be broken from a possible fall? How do I tell for sure and what should I do if it is? By the way he's beginning to eat alot better now and his spirit seems to be a little brighter! Mine too !!!

Hello! I just noticed when Rocky got up to eat that he's tucking one of his legs under him when he walks. He still doesn't have alot of use in his hind legs but could that leg possibly be broken from a possible fall? How do I tell for sure and what should I do if it is? By the way he's beginning to eat alot better now and his spirit seems to be a little brighter! Mine too !!!
    If he's USING it and putting weight on it, then I'm gonna say "not broken." Sometimes MBD squirrels will use their hind legs in odd ways because the legs are still weak. Can you feel the leg gently? Any bumps or swelling or anything that doesn't feel right? Does he react in pain when you feel it?
    Henry's Healthy Pets

Quote Originally Posted by Critter_Queen
    Just remember with the PB and Honey that a little goes a LOOOONG way...he'll eat it if you just drizzle a tad bit over the whole bowl...
    CQ is right. Sorry, if I didn't make that clear. Just a tiny bit is all you need. Then keep reducing the amount of PB until Rocky's eating his healthy foods plain, like a good boy.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

squirrelangel Guest

He doesn't put any weight on it hardly. His hip bone seems to be sitting up a little and yes he does make a noise when i try to touch him. I tried to straighten it out but he acted as if he was going to bite me so I left him alone. If it's broken what should I do?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast