Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Indian Squirrel bloated with long lump in stomach

Default Re: Indian Squirrel bloated with long lump in stomach

Any updates? How's Bachaya doing lately?

Still hoping that the Fox Valley is accepted...it is sooooo good for him.

PLEASE Oh PLEASE...new Photos...

Hi! Sorry, the internet really doesn't like working here these days so it's hard to keep in contact.

He really doesn't like the FV... I force him to eat it but half the time he spits it out at me. To keep him with the right nutrients the Indian doctor Stosh put me in touch with told me to use 2 different baby oral suppliments with calcium and other vitamins.

He will eat grapes and he will eat twigs off of Indian Cherry Trees (but he won't eat the cherries). He will also eat biscuit crackers. He is so picky

He also hates me forcing him to drink from the syringe but he still isn't accepting enough food for him to sustain himself without it. Water is also a problem. I have been looking everywhere for a hamster cage water bottle but hamsters are a strange/weird pet here... There might be one store in Bangalore that I will have to find someway to drive 1.5 hours to get to to pick one up. Besides that, I put a tupperware lid filled with water in his cage and he barely touches it.. I also found a squirt bottle that if he sucked hard enough on it would give water but he hasn't caught on to that yet.

I have made him sleep through the night at this point which was MUCH needed for me. He is big. He prefers to spend more time outside his cage on my curtains than in the cage.

He also is totally willing to bite if he doesn't like what you are making him do (like drink from a syringe). However, I know it is good that he bites since we want to get him to survive in the wild.

so thanks for your concern and help... he isn't easy

Good evening ( It's almost 7 pm in India )
    I know picky eaters sometimes are fed Fox Valley mixed with goat's milk or yogurt ....Are you still using scalded milk ?? If he takes that--maybe add the FV to the milk?
    PLEASE----Send me some PHOTOS...we're DYING to see how Bachaya looks these days....

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Palm Prince
    He also hates me forcing him to drink from the syringe but he still isn't accepting enough food for him to sustain himself without it. Water is also a problem. I have been looking everywhere for a hamster cage water bottle ,,,,,,,, I put a tupperware lid filled with water in his cage and he barely touches it.. I also found a squirt bottle that if he sucked hard enough on it would give water but he hasn't caught on to that yet.

so thanks for your concern and help... he isn't easy
    I was just wondering if there were any labs near you ?? They would have a variety of glass pipettes , etc. that might work as a temporary water dispenser, when turned upside down.???
    It the top was left uncovered, the water might come out when he licks the tip ???
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I really can't get any pictures uploaded onto any of my webpages :/ I might have to wait until october because we have very limited bandwidth because we exceeded our allowed GBs earlier (which is why it is a challenge for me to get on here often).

So here is an update Bachaya is eating FV!!!!!! I literally forced it on him enough times (because he wouldn't drink it even when mixed in small amounts with milk) and then only gave him water and real food for 8 hours that he was desperate for any kind of tasting milk and so he started drinking FV. Now he isn't as picky.

He is eating anything I give him now but only in small amounts. I give him a cluster of 5 grapes but he only eats one. I give him a branch from a tree his siblings love to eat and he nibbles for 10 minutes and then never touches it. I give him an almond and he eats 1/3 of it and then never touches it again. I feed him FV 3 times a day. He eats about 5-6ccs.

How much should I be feeding him?? I know he isn't the size of the normal grey squirrel so the other suggestions on the board for a 10 week old is too much. He hasn't grown much this week and I think he is about 80g. I feel like he might not be eating enough.

Also, I noticed his pee is turning more yellow... is that a sign that he isn't drinking enough water? I leave out a lid filled with water and he never touches it, but has pooped in it before. I have also a small squirt bottle that i cut a bigger hole in the top for him to drink from... it pretty much drips out water constantly but I thought that means it should be easy to drink from it as long as I constantly refill it.

I noticed that it has been chewed on but I've never seen him drink from it. It has never been empty before either. I can't find any lab supplies to use as Stosh suggested.

Should I start feeding him water in between FV feedings?

Also... he has started chewing on my walls and eating off the paint whenever I am not looking at him for one second. I am concerned that that could hurt him to ingest paint. As I am in India I have NO idea what kind of paint they used our what could be poisonous in it. How should I keep this from happening? I have taped over the holes but he just rips it off and keeps eating.

Also... potty training... literally every time he jumps on me he pees. I dont ever see him pee anywhere else. I have been stimulating him to pee over newspaper that I leave in his cage but he doesn't ever use it. Should I just get over this and how annoying it is to change my entire outfit at least 2ce a day? If I can help it before I pick him up I try to stimulate him but often he will just jump on me, pee, and then come snuggle....

I do love how affectionate he gets at night though. He will come curl up on my shoulder or tummy and sleep. He licks me and nuzzles me. It's rather precious and my favorite time with him. Its sad every time I have to transfer him to his cage to sleep.

anyway, I know this is alot! Thank you for your help

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

sounds like things are improving...slow is okay..at least he is doing better..
    the paint, that is scarey...somehow you will need a cage asap..
    good job being persistant and getting that Fv in him
    can't wait til October..
    It sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place but making it work...

I really can't get any pictures uploaded onto any of my webpages :/
    If you can e-mail...send photos via e-mail??
    So here is an update Bachaya is eating FV!!!!!! I literally forced it on him enough times (because he wouldn't drink it even when mixed in small amounts with milk) and then only gave him water and real food for 8 hours that he was desperate for any kind of tasting milk and so he started drinking FV. Now he isn't as picky.
    GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    His poop will turn golden if he gets enopught FV....
    Greta news...

He is eating anything I give him now but only in small amounts. I give him a cluster of 5 grapes but he only eats one. .
    I peel the skin, and remove seeds, and cut my grapes in half before feeding to Rama & Cruiser...Just to prevent choking...
    I feed him FV 3 times a day. He eats about 5-6ccs. He hasn't grown much this week and I think he is about 80g.
    At only 80 grams Bachaya should be getting 4 to 5.6 cc of Fox Valley...at least 3 times a day . 4 is better.

Also, I noticed his pee is turning more yellow... is that a sign that he isn't drinking enough water?
    I am not sure...but water/liquids are vital for normal bodily functions. The fruit helps...but water is BEST. Try adding just a touch of some juice to the water.

. I can't find any lab supplies to use as Stosh suggested.

Should I start feeding him water in between FV feedings?
    I was just hoping --about the labs.... I would offerwater (or ... juice & water) between meals...gottta flush out .

Also... he has started chewing on my walls and eating off the paint whenever I am not looking at him for one second. I am concerned that that could hurt him to ingest paint.
    OMG...no paint !!! that can be very dangerous...possible LEAD poisoning...
    [Also... potty training... literally every time he jumps on me he pees. I dont ever see him pee anywhere else. ......I pick him up I try to stimulate him but often he will just jump on me, pee, and then come snuggle....
    You are "owned"-He is MARKING you as his territory. I wear a second shirt--ALL THE TIME --with CRUISER.. He loves to " DO a STINKY on His DAD"
    I do love how affectionate he gets at night though. He will come curl up on my shoulder or tummy and sleep. He licks me and nuzzles me. It's rather precious and my favorite time with him. Its sad every time I have to transfer him to his cage to sleep.
    That makes all the worry---WORTH IT.....

I am trying with the pictures, but no.. my gmail always freezes as I try to upload the pic.... I also tried my yahoo account. The internet bandwidth just won't allow it (think the speed of the internet on phones that are NOT smart phones.... that is how long it takes). We shall see

I know. The paint concerns me, but I also know it is incredibly important to not keep him caged because it will mess with his growth. What is a good way to prevent him from eating the wall? Why would he want that? I have talked with a man on campus whose brother is a carpenter... while metal is out of the question, maybe he can figure out an alternative cage with wood?

Also... you mentioned his stole will turn yellow... well his poop has been dark brown (and there has been large amount of it) since he started eating real food for about 2 weeks now. Is that bad? It looks like the pellets of small hamsters or mice. I assumed that was normal as I was told he only had yellow poop when he was only on formula.

Also- keep in mind, he is 10 weeks old. Shouldn't he be weened soon? I am less concerned about the amount of FV that I give him but would rather like to know how much normal food I give him.

and the grapes here are TINY... about the size of the nail on my pinky finger. I have always peeled them but my friend gave him one without peeling it and I was so surprised that he had intricately peeled it himself!

Today I gave him a long green bean (he LOVESSSSS them), an Almond, 3 baby grapes, a small apple cube (half a slice), a twig from a nearby tree (it's ok that he literally inhales the wood?) and FV. He ate everything except for the apple entirely.

So how often should I feed him water with a syringe and how much? I don't have juice but maybe I could squeeze some for him

Also... does the squirrel board have an opinion on which nuts to feed them?

thanks for letting me ask all the big questions!

I am so Happy that he's doing so much better...

LONG Time ---since we have had an UPDATE..
    Please ...post some status...
    Hoping for GOOD NEWS....
    My e-mail is stosh@jpcfl.com
    if you need photos posted....

hey there,

i live in bangalore..........sorry i could not see your thread earlier because of IP issues on TSB - i can only access TSB from work!!

if there is anything i can do to help, let me know!

hope your baby is doing well now.

Hi All!

Sorry Stosh, I just saw your post.. I guess I didn't get an email about yours. :/

Bacaya is doing very very well! He eats anything and everything, and is so much more easy for me as he just needs me to put the food in front of him

I spend the morning with him for about 2 hours out of the cage before I go to work at the school... then he gets another hour out around 3pm and then from about 9-12am he is out with me... he normally goes to bed around 11pm and curls up on my tummy and eventually I put him in his cage when I'm ready for sleep. it's the cutest thing. He also has a giant cage I had built for him (there are pictures on Facebook!)

He is fast, he climbs, and he's as sweet as can be.. he has never ever bitten me again after that one incident even when I take food away from him or something.

However.... the one dilemma is that I am leaving in a few weeks and I'm still not sure what to do with him! As it took me until 12 weeks to force ween him off of milk he got so used to being with humans that he will run and jump on anyone that enters my room and snuggle into their shoulder... not exactly the right kind of attitude to let him lose in India. He might get killed for jumping on a stranger on the streets of Hosur.

Also, he hates it outside! I have taken him out many many times and he hides in my shirt and refuses to come out even if he's just sitting in my hand as I stand outside. I put him cage outside for an hour and he whimpered inside his rag-nest like I've never heard before.

I was looking into maybe letting a family that loves animals take him because they want him badly... but they have an 8 and 13 year old boy. I let the boys babysit him for a week with very specific instructions written out and they barely even fed him correctly, much less took care of his cage or changed his water. He looked rather battered when I came home :/ I could try to teach them how to better care for Bacaya before I leave, but I am scared to leave my baby that i love so much with someone who might not take great care of him.

I looked into bringing him to the US but I think he would be quarantined in a kennel for 6 MONTHS! it's ridiculous. He would hate me after that...

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Hi All!

Sorry Stosh, I just saw your post.. I guess I didn't get an email about yours. :/

Bacaya is doing very very well! He eats anything and everything, and is so much more easy for me as he just needs me to put the food in front of him

I spend the morning with him for about 2 hours out of the cage before I go to work at the school... then he gets another hour out around 3pm and then from about 9-12am he is out with me... he normally goes to bed around 11pm and curls up on my tummy and eventually I put him in his cage when I'm ready for sleep. it's the cutest thing. He also has a giant cage I had built for him (there are pictures on Facebook!)

He is fast, he climbs, and he's as sweet as can be.. he has never ever bitten me again after that one incident even when I take food away from him or something.

However.... the one dilemma is that I am leaving in a few weeks and I'm still not sure what to do with him! As it took me until 12 weeks to force ween him off of milk he got so used to being with humans that he will run and jump on anyone that enters my room and snuggle into their shoulder... not exactly the right kind of attitude to let him lose in India. He might get killed for jumping on a stranger on the streets of Hosur.

Also, he hates it outside! I have taken him out many many times and he hides in my shirt and refuses to come out even if he's just sitting in my hand as I stand outside. I put him cage outside for an hour and he whimpered inside his rag-nest like I've never heard before.

I was looking into maybe letting a family that loves animals take him because they want him badly... but they have an 8 and 13 year old boy. I let the boys babysit him for a week with very specific instructions written out and they barely even fed him correctly, much less took care of his cage or changed his water. He looked rather battered when I came home :/ I could try to teach them how to better care for Bacaya before I leave, but I am scared to leave my baby that i love so much with someone who might not take great care of him.

I looked into bringing him to the US but I think he would be quarantined in a kennel for 6 MONTHS! it's ridiculous. He would hate me after that...

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Oh Boy !Seems that you have several issues...
    The outside,is it much hotter? is your room cooler ???, or is it the sounds and activity of being outside?
    No fear of people. Always a problem with releasing a critter.
    No suitable foster family...

You will need to start a soft release-and soon-if you don't find a trustworthy family to adopt him. His cage will need to be outside for him to get used to the sounds and smells.
    Are there cats and other predators in your vicinity?
    Are there wooded areas close by for him to survive in?
    Are you feeding him much natural fruits and nuts that he might find out there
    Are you leaving India permanently?Is there any animal group that might take care of Bacaya ??
    Do you see other Palm Squirrels in your area? Do they actually live & nest in the palms?

Please keep looking for a foster family if you don't have at least 3 or four weeks to "wild him up"

Stosh, if he is this human friendly now, I don't think he will wild up. Can you ask around if anyone can watch him until you return? Is anyone on here near enough to help you? I think releasing this boy is a mistake, one that could be deadly for him. He may when he is much older change, but the fact he will go to anyone, nope not safe to release him. I am sure others will chime in.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

To answer some of the questions: yes, there are TONS of predators.. cats, dogs, cobras, monkeys, and crows all over our campus... It makes me uncomfortable leaving his cage outside.

It is the same temperature outside as inside as there is no AC and I leave my windows open all the time.

There aren't really wooded areas close by.... there is our walled campus with a bunch of trees and then farmland.

There really aren't fruits or nuts, but i feed him a bunch of twigs and leaves from the local trees.

There are a whole bunch of palm squirrels... one has come to my door almost every day and hung on my screen looking for Bacaya.... they seem to be very brave little creatures because they often venture into our dorms. They do have nests in palms and in other trees.

I am leaving India for at least 3 years for law school... so yeah. I spoke with the doctor you got me in touch with and he thinks that maybe Bacaya could be let out in his animal reserve outside of Bangalore and make friends with the other squirrels without too much people interaction.... but it sounds like he will just let him outside one time and just walk away... I am really sad because I am not sure how Bacaya would handle the people separation.

Now... one thing is that I know that people sell indian palm squirrels from India to America.... is there a way i could legally bring him back if I become an official palm squirrel seller or something? Does anyone no a way around international custom rules?

thank you!!

Ohhh I would be soo scared to release him.. I am with the others find a trusting person for him or like you said check the laws..

Hi! Sorry, the internet really doesn't like working here these days so it's hard to keep in contact.

He really doesn't like the Fox Valley... I force him to eat it but half the time he spits it out at me. To keep him with the right nutrients the Indian doctor Stosh put me in touch with told me to use 2 different baby oral suppliments with calcium and other vitamins.

He will eat grapes and he will eat twigs off of Indian Cherry Trees (but he won't eat the cherries). He will also eat biscuit crackers. He is so picky

He
    Hola Christy--
    How is Bachaya doing ??? Is he still around your area?? I havent seen any updates in severaL months.Hoping ALL is WELL-

I was wondering if --by chance--you still had some of the Fox valley powder left , that I mailed to you ? Another NEW member in INDIA has a young, baby squirrel...and could try it--if you had some.

Here is a link to the NEW thread :
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=39298

EDIT:
    Nov.2012----However.... the one dilemma is that I am leaving in a few weeks and I'm still not sure what to do with him! As it took me until 12 weeks to force ween him off of milk he got so used to being with humans that he will run and jump on anyone that enters my room and snuggle into their shoulder
    When I read this in November-I thought it was a short vacation away from India. I thought it read "leaving FOR a few weeks"....but it said leaving IN a few weeks.
    ..was it permanant??
    If so---Wat happened to Bachaya????

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789