Thread: Does Mocha have Downs Syndrome?

Hybrid View

Default Does Mocha have Downs Syndrome?

I'm not really sure but I've kinda started to think my squirrel Mocha may be a Downs Syndrome baby. Can anyone describe to me what signs she would have if she is? She has always had kitten fur and has always been really shy. She also doesn't like to climb very high. She climbs on her cage and me but that's it. She doesn't act at all like my other squirrel.

Default Re: Does Mocha have Downs Syndrome?

Can you post some pics of her? It is a look as well as a behavior. How old is she?

She is about to be 1 years old. Here are a few pictures I have of her on hand. I have more at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I don't think she is - they look really babyish - round ears way down on the side of the head...they also don't usually live to a year old. They have all kinds of health issues, they have problems keeping their body temp regulated... What are the circumstances of her being with you - a fall from the nest easily could have caused slight brain damage that would account for what you see.

What is her diet?

Well she has had a million and one health issues. It seems like it's back to back. I got her when she was probably 1-2 weeks old. Someone in my home town cut down a tree with her nest in it. That's how she lost her tail. She was very sickly as a baby. I actually ended up giving her to another rehabber for a little while because she would not gain weight and caught a really bad cold. She has also had a really bad ear infection that was on and off for awhile. Thankfully the last vet we went to got rid of that. I could keep going lol. She has a problem regulating her food also. I have to give her a little bit throughout the day because she'll keep eating until she looks like she's about to burst (my other one eats till she's full and saves the rest for later). Her diet consists of HHB's, brocoli, cauliflower, lettuce, and then fruit and a nut as treats every night. She also gets other types of veggies depending on what I have in the fridge. Those are the constants though.

Maybe she does have a touch of it. It isn't really well defined - no chromosome tests like for humans, the term is really just sort of what they look like. I would imagine there are all kinds of degrees. You can keep her, right?