Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Very sick wild squirrel

Default Re: Very sick wild squirrel

She did not show, unfortunately... She usually comes in the morning. However Joe and his neighbor will stay out until all the squirrels go to sleep.
    I left a cage and pecans .. as soon as Joe catches her, he will bring it to me.

How can I notice that it is a out-of-control malocclusion?..
    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.
    So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
    Jack Layton.

Quote Originally Posted by iwonka
    She did not show, unfortunately... She usually comes in the morning. However Joe and his neighbor will stay out until all the squirrels go to sleep.

Got your phone message - was outside at the cages

If her teeth are badly misaligned they will have grown out of control and she may not be able to close her mouth properly - or open it. There's a good chance you could see that easily when you hold her. If that poor baby cannot open her mouth to eat then she can't bite you - that is a plus for you - but watch out for the claws... of course you know that If it's a malocclusion then you'll have to clip her teeth I assume; she would be NR, most likely, or else those teeth will re-grow out of control and she can die a horribly painful death.

If it is not a malocclusion, then again there is one advantage that the abscess is already draining at least, which means you would not need to lance it... but it would need to be cleansed properly, and she's not going to like that... you can bet on that.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Quote Originally Posted by iwonka

Well you may notice a tooth coming through the cheek area, or you would have to open the mouth and observe.

Here is an excellent video, same area too.
    Just scroll down a little.

http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/trimteeth.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York

Well you may notice a tooth coming through the cheek area, or you would have to open the mouth and observe.
    The 1st post said she cannot open her mouth... What do we do in such a case? Would forcing her mouth open pose a risk to her? How would we minimize it?
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    - Gandhi -

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom
    The 1st post said she cannot open her mouth... What do we do in such a case? Would forcing her mouth open pose a risk to her? How would we minimize it?
    You're right about the first post, I actually forgot that was said.
    I would imagine that it could manually be opened, but this is way above my knowledge. Let me alert some others to this thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Here is an excellent video, same area too.
    Just scroll down a little.

http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/trimteeth.htm
    OMGosh, this is such as good stuff!! Thank you Nancy!
    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.
    Jack Layton.

If she can not open her mouth this may also be a broken jaw that is healing/healed wrong. That would also make malocclusion a very good possibility. She needs to go to a vet to be assessed. There she would be put under to have a thorough examination. If she has just a malocclusion in most cases it will be a lifetime of tooth trimming. In a wild adult it is my opinion that if she isnt tame she will be scared and miserable and maybe euthanasia would be the kindest choice for her. If she also has a broken jaw that is healing or healed incorrectly then again my decision would be to set her free. I realize that some may disagree with me but a wild adult in most cases will never be happy caged and subjected to repeated trimmings. If this squirrel is caught and judging from the picture time is of the essence do you have access to a good vet? I dont believe this is a case that can be treated by anyone who isnt capable of putting her under to examine her and would just prolong her misery. Another possibility is if this is a male who has been fighting and has a badly abscessed bite wound. Abscesses on the head are near impossible to ever get to heal. Really until a thorough exam can be made we just dont know. I pray someone is able to catch him/her and help her in whatever way would be the best for the squirrel. Stacey

It was always my belief to try to keep a squirrel alive at all costs. However, I realize now, that many typically do not have such great lives as NR's, just because their life was spared. It takes a commitment, and it takes over your life to do it successfully. JMO

Yes, getting a vet assessment would be the only way to know for sure. This looks to be serious, and hard to diagnose over the board.
    I do hope this little one can be caught and given some help, do you have a vet?

Posting for Iwonka:

She has access to a vet... BUT that vet does not have his/her own clinic and therefore has to go by the clinic's rule i.e. vets here do not accept and/or treat wildlife, not even those of the SPCA. They are not trained for this and that also means, of course, no x-rays

The best we can do, if and when we catch the little one is send pictures to the vet that Iwonka knows and see what will be suggested. It's all we can hope for.

Please, let's pray the little one can be treated with the means that we have.
    - Gandhi -

Any news on this poor little baby?

Yes!.. We have just caught him! I have it with me now.

I'm posting all pictures I took..

Let say it's a HE for now.

He can open his mouth when he has to.. and it hurts (me!)
    He weighs 550g.
    He has a balance problem.

I cleaned the wound with the DEXIDIN 4%.. Should I flush this wound inside?..

Medication:
    Capstar 11.4mg (dilute 1/4 tablet in 1 cc of water) : 0.2cc
    Bactrim : 0.6cc first dose.. I will follow with half of this

I have Metacam and Tramadol - should I also give to him?

He has drunk the water from the syringe very nicely.
    He is very skinny.. he needs food.. Is it a good idea if I give him "PediaSure" for some time?

Thank you.

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  273.9 KB
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  245.9 KB
    Name:  6.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  289.2 KB
    Name:  7.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  260.8 KB
    Name:  8.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  229.4 KB
    Name:  9.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  267.5 KB
    Name:  10.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  268.0 KB
    Name:  11.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  218.4 KB
    Name:  12.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  281.8 KB
    Name:  13.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  259.8 KB
    Jack Layton.

This is the video of the same squirrel 2 months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjQf...eature=related
    Jack Layton.

Great News!!
    That's a really nasty puncture! Looks as if he was bit in the snout by something's fangs??
    Of course his top teeth look off too but not unrepairable. Wonder if they grew that way due to his lack of chewing since the injury?
    Sooooooo happy you got him and he will be treated, good job!
    Makes my day!!

edit: Looking at video can't see side that now has injury, wonder if he had it then and some sort of toxins and or infection was already messing with his system?

Want to keep this up front, this little baby needs all the experenced suggestions/help/advice he can get...

Nice job Joe and Iwonka. This poor guy sure needs some help.

He seems to have some neuro problems and this might have been the source of his other ones.

That wound looks like a bite of some sort to me too. Also, if you look in a few of the photos, his bottom lip is off center... his jaw is misaligned. Seems dislocated. He might have suffered that damage in the fight when he got bitten. If you flushed the wound outside I think it should be OK, it is wide open and draining and trying to flush inside might be a bit risky for you and for him.

Poor little guy. He can surely use a little TLC. Some rest, and some good food along with the meds I don't think Pediasure would hurt, at least it would get some quick nourishment into him. The experts can probably chime in on that.
    - Gandhi -

Oh my goodness does that look sore! He is so lucky to have found such good help!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I bet he'd like some pecan flavored Ensure! Put some meat on those bones and some healing nutrition too!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

That looks like a nasty wound! Coud it be from a bird claw (a 'penetrating wound' type)? It sure looks like it would hurt!

Maybe also booballs will give him some much needed nutrients too!

Thank you for taking such good care of him!

iwonka let me notify some of our experts to this thread, I am really pressed for time, I also wanted to resize the pictures a little.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast