Thread: Squirrels eat lizards???

Default Squirrels eat lizards???

My squirrel hunted down, killed and then ATE a lizard today. I mean ate it. He did not spit it out but consumed it. It was an awful site.

I had to look this up on the internet and there are youtube videos of squirrels eating lizards. I had no idea! Then I discovered that an anthropologist did studies of 609 squirrels and found in there stomachs lizards and small rodents. Small rodents???

I thought squirrels were vegetarians. My squirrel is never without food of assorted veggies and nuts with calcium fortified water. I have seen them eat dead frog bones and figured they would do that for extra calcium but to hunt, kill and devour a live lizard? Bizarre but apparently they do that in the wild.

They apparently will also eat, in the wild, small birds and bird eggs. I often times bring home oak branches and my squirrel will eat the ant larva he discovers inside the branch but this hunting and killing and eating instinct is NEWS to me. I have never heard it mentioned here before.

He is a grey squirrel and the videos on you tube show grey squirrels doing this in the wild. CRAZY!

Comments anyone?

Default Re: Squirrels eat lizards???

Yep, gross but true!
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

Why is this a secret on the squirrel board? I love lizards but if our guys need this nutrient then should we let them hunt???? I'm so torn right now. I really love lizards and it was nasty to watch but it seemed so natural to my boy squirrel.

I am sure noone was trying to keep a secret, but I suppose it's not a hot topic to discuss.
    I find it gross...can't even feed mine any worms like some people do.

I too love lizards. I can imagine how traumatic that must have been. Growing up in PR we allowed them to take residency on the main floor to help manage insects. Free (and cute) pest control!
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

I have a flying squirrel and it's been made known to me from day one to feed her lots of protein. They are quite the little carnivores I know the flyers are different than normal tree squirrels, but definitely quite a few flyer people let me know right off the bat that protein is a big deal.

So yeah, it's normal

I actually saw a really cool YouTube video the other day of a squirrel attacking a snake and it won! I have also totally witnessed Momo (my flyer) beat up on a bird that was trying to peck at her when she got out the one time.

Squirrels aint scared of nothing and they'll eat everything!
    Squammy to Momo, the flying squirrel.
    <3 Momo - adopted Nov 1, 2011 - Went to rainbow bridge August 2014
    Married Momo's squaddy on April 27, 2013!!
    Fur mommy to Loki, rescue pup - adopted November 2014