Thread: REHABBERS NEEDED: NYC Metro Area!!

Default REHABBERS NEEDED: NYC Metro Area!!

Friends, I just received a group email from an active and very good squirrel rehabber in lower Manhattan (NYC). She is no longer going to be rehabbing wildlife, and instead will devote her time to cat rescue. What this means is that an area with over 18million humans and Lord knows how many million squirrels is now being covered by one less wildlife rehabber. This leaves MAYBE four of us to save squirrels.

So, if you live in NYC, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, Nassau County or even lower Westchester county, please consider wildlife rehabilitation as your next adventure in life. I promise to help as much as I physically can and will provide everything a new rehabber needs to get started. You can take in as few as ONE or as many as...whatever......just look into your heart and mind and see if you are being called to help. The need is HUGE. Between us few, we rescue and release so many orphaned and injured squirrels every season, but there are times when we turn off our phones or don't answer the email because we physically cannot help more babies.

COME ON, downstaters! Don't let them get all the credit in Oneonta and Buffalo! NY metro loves squirrels too!

Thanks for listening.
    Peace, Love, Squirrels.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Garden71 Guest

Default Re: REHABBERS NEEDED: NYC Metro Area!!

My wife and I would love to but the problem is we love in a condo and they would have a heart attack if we were doing this!!!!
    We are looking to buy a house soon so don't count us out.
    We have learned so much from everyone on TSB and when the time is right we will step up!!

dextersmom Guest

I am an infant squirrel wild life rehab in Nassau County,you can call me if need be,
    Karen
    Last edited by island rehabber; 10-12-2012 at 06:46 PM.

[quote=dextersmom][quote=dextersmom]I am an infant squirrel wild life rehab in Nassau County,you can call me if need be,

Great to meet you, dextersmom! How has your fall season been going? I am swamped.....if it weren't for Nancy in New York (member) here, who held onto six of my baby squirrels, I would now have 19 in my "house", which is a small condo. Trust me, 13 is crazy enough.....

I am keeping your number with my rehabber lists here, and removing it from the public areas of the Board so you don't get spam or harassing phone calls. I will also admit you the Rehabbers Forum.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Garden71 Guest

Dextersmom.
    Congrats

i can take a few...no prob...actually kinda need it...just let me know...i know ive been off the radar for a bit...last spring and fall kinda killed me a bit losing them babies when i tried so hard....i know you all understand...but i needed to stay away for a bit...
    R.I.P Dingo, my sweet little lover

Quote Originally Posted by Cejemere
    i can take a few...no prob...actually kinda need it...just let me know...i know ive been off the radar for a bit...last spring and fall kinda killed me a bit losing them babies when i tried so hard....i know you all understand...but i needed to stay away for a bit...
    Glad to know you're still out there, Cejemere!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

liulugoommohome Guest

That is one heck of a beautiful website you have there and the fantastic is lovely to boot. I really tinfoil love the presentation and the story as a whole.
    You can look this web for more.

Folks, this doofus who posted above is a spammer or even an automatic spamming robot (spambot). Notice the clunky language and then the (illegal on TSB) links to junk websites? Thank you Scooterzmom for alerting Administration to this turkey and I'm leaving the post up to show newbies what a spammer looks like.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Garden71 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Folks, this doofus who posted above is a spammer or even an automatic spamming robot (spambot). Notice the clunky language and then the (illegal on TSB) links to junk websites? Thank you Scooterzmom for alerting Administration to this turkey and I'm leaving the post up to show newbies what a spammer looks like.

Hello all!

I am in Queens, NY and looking for a rehabber for a baby squirrel. He is (in my estimation, but I'm no expert) 6-10 weeks old. He's furry and eats on his own, with no apparent injuries or health issues. I found him today on a busy sidewalk, he was following humans around and venturing into the street. I observed him for a while and became very concerned that he would be hit by a car. I was referred to an animal hospital on Long Island who gave me a list of local rehabbers, but the ones I contacted were overwhelmed and unable to take in any more squirrels. He's currently sleeping in a box in my apartment, but I need to find someone who is equipped to care for him. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Squirrell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmom View Post
    I am an infant squirrel wild life rehab in Nassau County,you can call me if need be,
    Karen
    Never mind, my squirrel passed away.
    Last edited by Squirrell; 09-23-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Pet died

Hello! I'm located in the bronx. I took the test and passed last year but never finalized the process (interview at the lic location) - may have to wait till the test comes round again to be qualified. I'm going to be totally new to this world, but would love to become affiliated with the existing network and learn the tricks of the trade!

Last March, my cat showed up with a newborn squirrel, already cold - I had no idea what animal I was looking at, but I couldnt give up on until I at least tried to warm her up again, and after using warm water she started to move! Set up a safe incubator, did a quick Google lens, and started reading...really, I was prioritizing life support until I could get her stabilized enough to survive long enough for me to find a rehabber and transport her, and since I didn't know how long that would take and didn't know anything about baby squirrels - I spent the first 12 hours rehydrating, stimulating, and using this website and all its resources to calculate and recalculate to the nth degree the appropriate amoxicillin dose for the cat bite - luckily had an unmixed bottle available from my cats...long story short, I became terribly invested in her survival, seeing how much attention and time it required and reading horror stories online (and the emotional investment) resulted in me dropping everything in my life and devoting it to her - these were the most challenging, most rewarding, most beautiful months of my entire life. Squee grew up to be such a beautiful, happy, and healthy little girl and for the time she was in my life it felt like my depression never existed - after a soft release, she grew to be more and more independent but came for her daily dose of play and scratches. She trusted me and only me, treated every other person like a wild squirrel would - so she never approached other people. Last August she disappeared, I spent weeks casing the streets and screaming her name like an absolute crazy person, I never found her - I miss her terribly every day, but I'm so grateful that she opened my eyes to this incredible world of squirrels and squirrel lovers, to what the value of a life is, and to the opportunity to help others.

I didnt even really mean to type out as much of that as I had, but it feels good to talk about her in a place where others might understand, and I think it serves as a good introduction for the extent of my experience!

14. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squee:

Chirps (02-14-2024), island rehabber (02-15-2024), Mel1959 (02-06-2024), MyBushyTail (02-05-2024), SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-05-2024)

Welcome to The Squirrel Board, Squee!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Yes, welcome to TSB! I did get your private message and promise to respond tomorrow morning. Just got home from picking up my poor cat who spent 2 Days in the ICU of our Veterinary emergency hospital. She is doing okay but it's still scary and I am wiped out. Talk to you tomorrow.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (02-06-2024)