Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: injured during soft release, now lethargic?

rigel Guest

Question injured during soft release, now lethargic?

my 14 week old red/grey squirrel is in her sixth day of 'soft release'. she returned to her house last night as usual, and i close her cage for release at morning.

however, this morning she continued to sleep (when she is usually climbing anxiously wanteing out of her cage in the early morning)...i woke her up, and after some examaning, noticed that her left back leg is swolen in the thigh area, and she has diarrea, and only wants to sleep. when i gently touch that area, she makes a sound of a grunt of pain.

she did eat kale, peanuts, and walnuts earlier today, and she is drinking. but, the sleeping constantly is worrying me. i have her 'on' me wrapped in her pillow case, and she seems to be comfortable.

what do i do? how do i know if it is the injury making her sleep or is it something more serious? i am in a panic - - -

any info would be so very appreciated...thank you...

Default Re: injured during soft release, now lethargic?

I sent PMs to a few of our experts. Hopefully someone will be here very soon.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Her diet is not good, and I am thinking perhaps MBD along with an injury or spider bite or something.
    The fact that she is lethargic concerns me...but that goes along with MBD.
    Just to be on the safe side start with the MBD protocol. Take one tums, crush it up really fine, and put it into approximately 4 oz of water. Start syringe feeding her that mixture, and continue to do so throughout the day, hourly is best. Try rubbing a little maple syrup or molasses on her gums too.
    How old was she when you got her, and what formula was she raised on? What was her diet like until you released?
    You can give her INFANT MOTRIN for the pain, can you post a picture so I can guesstimate the weight?

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Welcome to TSB and sorry your sq has injured himself.
    I would use a heating pad set on low half under a small cage where he cannot injure himself more, and keep him inside for observation.
    You can also give a rice buddy for comfort.
    Cover cage, calm dark and quiet promotes healing, loud music, pets and children create stress.
    All wounds weep, so hydration is key. He must stay drinking.
    I have to ask what formula did you use?
    How old was he when you recieved him?
    Under what circumstance did you recieve him?
    when did he wean?
    did you soft release?
    are you thinking he fell?
    have you checked for punctures?
    what county are you in?
    do you have a sq friendly vet?

sorry for alll the questions, answering them wil expedite the rehabbers advise.

someone will be on soon.

Oh one more thing. 14 weeks is a little young for release that's only 3 1/2 months old. Is it possible to keep her a little longer?

rigel Guest

thank you for resonding...

she was only 1 to 2 days old when i got her (i have photos of her the day i got her on February 13th, and photos as of today). she weighs 250 grams (around 9 ounces i think is the conversion)...also, i can actually feel the tissue on the thigh is swollen, it doesn't seem to be bone related according to her response - as she can still walk properly, she just doesn't want to walk around much...

history - i fed her puppy replacement (with times of a mix with Half & Half) until about 2 weeks ago at which time she began eating other foods; nuts, kale, and whatever she ate when she has been out the past 6 days (during the daytime only). i have read conflicting reports on the brand that have always used, but it has worked many times before. i have removed all food with the exception of Rodent Blocks, and water, as of this time.

she seems to be drinking alot of water today as i have her in a small medical crate on a heating pad (so i don't know if it is just because i can see how much she is drinking or what)

"Dorie" is the 26th squirrel i have raised from an age of a couple of days old, to getting them when they were three to four weeks...(i have only lost one baby - but her back right leg was deformed and she couldn't climb from the beginning & she was approx 4 to 5 weeks old when i got her). so this is a very scary situation for me because i do NOT want to lose her.

please advise...thank you...

Can you email me pictures.
    I will post them for you.
    She seems so tiny. She is 250 grams now?
    I will also get you the doseage for the infant
    ibuprophen.
    0.062 of infant ibuprophen every 4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    I have to ask what formula did you use?

Under what circumstance did you recieve him?

did you soft release?

are you thinking he fell?

have you checked for punctures?

what county are you in?

do you have a sq friendly vet?
    I agree with nancy, too young.
    There are many puppy replacement formulas, do you know which one you used?
    If there is swelling and not bone related, are you thinking sprain?

rigel Guest

Jackie In Tampa -

first, thank you for asking ALL of the questions...i appreciate anything you can offer:

i have her in a small medical cage with heating pad

no kids, so all is quiet

she is drinking very well

i used Esbilac (no Goats Milk available at any shoppes in my city)

she was only 1-3 days old when i got her (totally hot-pink and only about 1 3/4" in length)

the nest was found in a house-down spout drain while contractor was working

i was attempting a soft release (day only) as she was flipping out in her xtra large kennel - she was trying to chew through the wire and plastic i would gladly keep her as long as needed

i don't know if she fell or pulled a muscle (no blood or visible injury)

in SC, in the USA (i believe she is a red squirrel, i have only had greys in the past)

i don't know if there is a vet that will work with Wildlife Rescue (i am not an 'official member anymore)

thank you -
    RiGel

Can you send me pictures?
    email

rigel Guest

update 4:46pm est

i just found some very, very small little 'bites' or 'raised rash' on the leg with the problem...it doesn't appear to be a spider bite, as there are five or six bites that are small and pink (no swelling around them). she has very thick fur, but there are no fleas on her at all.

she is eating rodent block, drinking water, and staring out of the cage as if she is bored...her eyes are bright...

I would give benedryl children's syrup if I thought it were a spider bite. bright eyes

lilidukes Guest

South Carolina is a legal state to have a squirrel. There are Many vets who will see and treat if it becomes necessary. If you can give us a general area, upstate, low country, your county or city we can give you closest known vet info.

BTW to TSB

Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    update 4:46pm est

i just found some very, very small little 'bites' or 'raised rash' on the leg with the problem...it doesn't appear to be a spider bite, as there are five or six bites that are small and pink (no swelling around them). she has very thick fur, but there are no fleas on her at all.

she is eating rodent block, drinking water, and staring out of the cage as if she is bored...her eyes are bright...
    Any possibility at all it may look like snake bite? Not being from your area Ièd have no idea at all but I'm only taking a stab at possibilities... since nobody mentioned that yet
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Here are some photo.

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 94
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  untitled1.bmp
Views: 91
Size:  42.3 KB

I'm trying to make these a little larger.
    Can you email me one of the whole squirrel?

rigel Guest

nancy in new york -

photos were sent - please let me know if you don't recieve them. thank you -
    R

Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    nancy in new york -

photos were sent - please let me know if you don't recieve them. thank you -
    R
    I posted the ones above that I have received so far.
    I will be going out for a little while if you send more, I will
    post them when I return.

OK here are more pictures of your little RED No wonder the weight was so low...250 grams would be a feather weight for a grey...

Did her tail always go over her back like this. I am wondering if there is some sort of rear end problem.
    She looks like she is in pain with her head down like this.

Throwing in my two cents.....looks like a spider bite to me....
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Her diet is not good, and I am thinking perhaps MBD along with an injury or spider bite or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    Throwing in my two cents.....looks like a spider bite to me....

And yet again....... Great minds I tell ya....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.