Thread: Releasing a single squirrel

Pashen Guest

Default Releasing a single squirrel

I didn't know where to put this, so here is where it landed. I see numerous threads with people that are raising single squirrels either to be released when they are old enough or discover that their squirrel is getting aggressive and maybe needs to be released after having been with them for 9 months, a year, two years.

Before you let that squirrel that you've raised go, please consider letting it go to someone who has had experience with these special squirrels. Just because a squirrel is pacing and leaping at windows, biting you and others, doesn't mean he is prepared to survive outside of the home you created for it.

A squirrel raised by itself doesn't know it's a squirrel. It might know how to climb trees but it thinks it's your boss, buddy or baby. He or she needs to be introduced to other squirrels to learn their behaviors, their social structure or he will never fit in. Other squirrels will attack him/her. He or she needs to learn to be afraid of humans and other animals. So it can survive in the world it wants to join.

I'd like to share a story.

She was 16 years old and found an orphan squirrel. Raised it, fed it, watched it grow until it was old enough to be released.

She put her squirrel in a carrier and brought it to the park. There she released it. This was in the 70s. She had long, blond hair she kept in a ponytail. She watched her squirrel start to explore and hop away. Up the path, about 100 feet away, came a woman with long, blond hair, pulled back into a ponytail.

Her squirrel jumped on this woman. And this woman beat it death right in front of her, with her purse, because she was terrified.

It's a tragic story and true. It happened to one of my squirrel mentors.

There is no reason to feel like you are letting your squirrel down when it's time to let him or her go. There are many experienced people on this board that can help you.

Find a rehabber that has experience doing this. Your squirrel needs to be introduced in stages to other squirrels then housed with them. The rehabber will watch the progress and wait until your squirrel is ready and only then release them all as a group.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Thumbs up Re: Releasing a single squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Pashen
    I didn't know where to put this, so here is where it landed. I see numerous threads with people that are raising single squirrels either to be released when they are old enough or discover that their squirrel is getting aggressive and maybe needs to be released after having been with them for 9 months, a year, two years.

Before you let that squirrel that you've raised go, please consider letting it go to someone who has had experience with these special squirrels. Just because a squirrel is pacing and leaping at windows, biting you and others, doesn't mean he is prepared to survive outside of the home you created for it.

A squirrel raised by itself doesn't know it's a squirrel. It might know how to climb trees but it thinks it's your boss, buddy or baby. He or she needs to be introduced to other squirrels to learn their behaviors, their social structure or he will never fit in. Other squirrels will attack him/her. He or she needs to learn to be afraid of humans and other animals. So it can survive in the world it wants to join.

I'd like to share a story.

She was 16 years old and found an orphan squirrel. Raised it, fed it, watched it grow until it was old enough to be released.

She put her squirrel in a carrier and brought it to the park. There she released it. This was in the 70s. She had long, blond hair she kept in a ponytail. She watched her squirrel start to explore and hop away. Up the path, about 100 feet away, came a woman with long, blond hair, pulled back into a ponytail.

Her squirrel jumped on this woman. And this woman beat it death right in front of her, with her purse, because she was terrified.

It's a tragic story and true. It happened to one of my squirrel mentors.

There is no reason to feel like you are letting your squirrel down when it's time to let him or her go. There are many experienced people on this board that can help you.

Find a rehabber that has experience doing this. Your squirrel needs to be introduced in stages to other squirrels then housed with them. The rehabber will watch the progress and wait until your squirrel is ready and only then release them all as a group.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Default Re: Releasing a single squirrel

I have my first singleton, and I am so worried

Good caution but it isn't that black and white. I live up in the country and have raised many singletons, actually this is the first year I have multiples of many ages.

My singletons are incredibly tame upon release, the difference in my story is that I live where I can release them from my house. I open the door and let them come and go, eventually the come in less and less. Then the sleep outside and come just for visits, then they come just for food and then they visit from afar.

All have wild up, I've seen them playing with other squirrels and the females have had multiple litters.

I'm not advocating keeping squirrels as pets, I think that is wrong. I also don't believe in keeping non releasables, eventually you will be overwhelmed. I have no problem letting animals go. To be honest, I think my current Francis is my passed away Jerry. But hey I could be crazy.

Now releasing them in a city park is different, I'll leave those recommendations to IR and others.

Just want to let others know it can be done and it can be done without harm

Sorry if I offend anyone.

Singletons can do just fine. I have done many. But just like any that have been kept inside and raised by humans, they need time to adjust. Having an outside pre-release cage is important, as it gives the local wild squirrels and other animals a chance to somewhat interact (through the safety of the cage) with these squirrels. They can smell and watch and learn. They can hear when the wilds do calls for different reasons. I try, if at all possible, to give as much time as possible in the outside release cage. I watch for them to run and hide when wilds let out warning calls. I watch how they are reacting to other squirrels on the cage. I am lucky to be in a good area for release, as my yard butts up to the woods, which are acres and acres. So my experience is singles can do well, just need to give them a little extra time and go case to case. But I will also say, I always try, if possible, to find a cage mate.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Pashen
    She put her squirrel in a carrier and brought it to the park. There she released it..
    And THERE LIES THE WHOLE REASON we do a "soft release" with squirrels.

One must never EVER simply turn a home-raised squirrel loose in the world, regardless of WHERE, for any reason. You can do that with racoons, possies and cottontails but you CANNOT do it with squirrels. There must be an outside interim period, in a secure enclosure, where the squirrel learns the sounds and smells and feel of the outdoors, and his instincts kick in, and he becomes wild and ready to go.

I released five singletons last year for other people and two for myself. All did fine, but I will tell you that one of the singletons who belonged to another rehabber gave me the scare of my life. He was 18 months old and huge, and one day when I approached the release site he leaped on my back and kept circling my neck. Having just heard of a rehabber here on TSB who was viciously attacked by someone else's former "pet" squirrel she was overwintering, I truly imagined this guy was going to rip my face off. Thankfully, it didn't happen.

One of the important things here, IMHO, is that singletons who are being readied for release do not get the run of the house or the opportunity to climb on people -- not even their 'owner'. My rehab squirrels are never out of the cage, ever. They don't climb on me, so I know they won't climb on some stranger and be beaten to death because of it. The problem is getting people to resist the urge to take the squirrel out and play with him.....Me, I WANT my kids to be cage-crazy. And snarly. And ornery. That is their insurance that they will thrive in the woods where they belong.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Yup, what she said! I am the same way, IR. They know me, and do trust me, but they are still wild.
    Mary...

Good points IR and Pappy. Yup Release Cage is perfection. I have one at my friends house and will be building one at my new house.

Singletons or multiples (my friend did the multiples while I lived in AZ) go in them as do my oppies, rehabbed injured squirrels, etc.

It seems overwhelming at first to build the cage but with two friends and some wine it goes well, just takes a few days

When I say my singletons come and go, just consider my house the Release Cage. But also consider the inside squirrel area a war zone of chewed bark, seed hulls, acorn shells and squirrely poop EVERYWHERE. Super Vacuum is your friend, lol. Oh and my squirrels will never meet other people their first year as they would have to wander very far to come in contact. But, as I said, I live in the country and far from folk. My Oppies get released miles and miles away from civilization, roads and people. I'm lucky to have horses to take them deep into the forest.

Great information all... Thank you

dextersmom Guest

I bottle fed dexter for 6 months,he lived among dogs.cats,and even a pet hamster... When he was around 7 months we let him out to play in one of our only single large tree in our yard. He would go out every day for at least a half hour per day..One day he didnt come home..My cats would stay in that tree for days just waiting for him. 2 weeks went by before he showed up yet He changed,he ate out of my hand,but he would not let me hold him..Its been 4 months of him being free,and coming to me every day to eat, and now the weather is getting cold,my question is can I capture him and re- train him to live back at home for at least the winter months?
    Dextersmom

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmom
    .Its been 4 months of him being free,and coming to me every day to eat, and now the weather is getting cold,my question is can I capture him and re- train him to live back at home for at least the winter months?
    Dextersmom
    sorry, but......why on earth would you want to do that???

Despite the fact that he was raised with predators, you have managed to release a well-equipped little squirrel who can go on to live his squirrelly life to the fullest. Why would you want to put him back in captivity? Not that he would let you, I have a feeling.....
    He's a Noo Yawk squirrel. He can deal with Noo Yawk winter.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

You have the best of all worlds, he has his freedom, but he still comes to visit. Doesn't get any better. You can't take his freedom away. He has done fine, he will do fine. Just keep giving him extra treats to help him and he is good to go!
    Mary...

I love this topic thank you! this year I have a little singleton girl, and right now she's about 7/8 weeks old. I've been very sweet with her since she came to me, holding her in my shirt to nap or letting her climb on me a little. at what point does should I stop doing this? a month before pre-release? during pre-release? or much sooner? I guess eventually her size will take care of the shirt question! but how about jumping on me or physical contact?

btw, I plan on overwintering her.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

Singles are hard. You can't just leave them be, you need to give them interaction. I have a walk in cage, so they can choose to (or not, and many chose not) to climb and jump on me. I don't think them climbing on you right now will mess her up for release. I wouldn't go overboard, but give her attention when you go to feed her or give her a nut treat at night. Winter is a long time to go just by themselves in a cage, you need to give her some attention. JMPO.
    Mary...

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    Singles are hard. You can't just leave them be, you need to give them interaction. I have a walk in cage, so they can choose to (or not, and many chose not) to climb and jump on me. I don't think them climbing on you right now will mess her up for release. I wouldn't go overboard, but give her attention when you go to feed her or give her a nut treat at night. Winter is a long time to go just by themselves in a cage, you need to give her some attention. JMPO.
    I know, that's how I feel. but I read somewhere else on the forum too that squirrels meant for wild release shouldn't be allowed out of the cage or to climb on people~~ there was no specific age mentioned though?

also, I've seen where she seems naturally suspicious of other people, which I won't try to discourage. she growls at my partner Geoff and bats his hand away when she's sitting on my shoulder and he tries to be friendly with her.

my brother and sister last year had each other, and had no interest on jumping on me except when it was nursing time! and they never wanted me to pet them once they went up into a bigger overwinter cage. they only came near to see if I had a walnut or to try and squeak out the door when I opened it!
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

I have a walk in cage. I let them decide. Not all my babies who I have raised just automatically want to be on me. I do make sure they don't have much, if any, contact with other people, so they do keep their natural fear of humans and def. no domestic pets ever! I think it is important they know and trust me. You never know if you would need to get them again after they have been out, so that is important. That is my opinion.
    Mary...

dwest12 Guest

I'm so glad I read this! My husband and I raised a sweet little one until it was about 10 - 11 weeks old. We had always intended to release her, knowing that the outside was better for her than the inside. I did all my research, had her release cage ready, he built a 'condo' nesting box -- she was ready to go! I had sweet visions of her coming back to ask for nuts, seeing her in the yard, knowing she was okay... But we live in town, with kids and cats and cars, so I had other visions, too, not so sweet. I thought about that while I worried about exactly the things you mentioned in your post -- would the other squirrels accept her, would she have a healthy fear of humans, would she realize the danger other animals can represent... In the end, we decided the best thing for our baby girl was to take her to a rehabber in the country where she could be released to enjoy the safety of the acres of trees surrounding the rehabber's home. We drove almost two hours to get her there, and drove back the next week to take her "big" cage (but you know her mom drove there to check on her!). That second visit calmed all my fears -- she was exactly where she needed to be. As I read your post, I can't begin to put into words how thankful I am that I did not release her here at home. We love that little fuzzer, and I would never have forgiven myself if something had happened to her that could have been prevented. Thank you for posting!

Members who have read this thread: 7