Thread: How does a wild squirrel get water????

free Guest

Default How does a wild squirrel get water????

I have a question. I feed my wilds a variety of nuts ( walnuts, pecans,almonds,hazelnuts). I also put out fresh water for them. I have a squirrel who has a definite issue. I posted about it in an earlier post. He is somewhat wobbly and cannot sit up on his two back legs to eat, he usually lays on his side or lays on all fours like a dog would to eat. I am very sure is he also blind in one eye. Unfortunately, the other squirrels are not nice and always chase him so he quickly runs back up the tree. I have not seen him get any water from the little bowls I set out under my porch as he does not like to leave the vacinity of the tree. Though I am not watching constantly, so it is possible he could go and get a drink when I am not watching. I thought about putting a small bowl of water by the tree he stays in, but for a couple reasons, I do not think it would work. One, the tree is infront of my neighbors house( they are not squirrel friendly as they have had problems with them going in their attic) and two, there are like at least 8 to 10 squirrels who stay in that tree, and they chase each other all over the place and would knock the water bowl over anyhow. I was wondering how squirrels get water in the wild in other areas where people do not supply it?? Do they have to wait until it rains? How much water do they require a day to survive?

Default Re: How does a wild squirrel get water????

Quote Originally Posted by free
    I was wondering how squirrels get water in the wild in other areas where people do not supply it?? Do they have to wait until it rains? How much water do they require a day to survive?
    I learned, in a seminar years ago, that squirrels get MOST of their water in the wild from licking the undersides of leaves, for the morning dew.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

free Guest

Default Re: How does a wild squirrel get water????

Oh, well that makes sense, I never thought of that. Well hopefully my little wobbly squirrel is getting water then. I know when it rained last week I saw him drink out of a puddle right by the curb. I have seen a few squirrels do this.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    I learned, in a seminar years ago, that squirrels get MOST of their water in the wild from licking the undersides of leaves, for the morning dew.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.