Thread: Think we have MBD

Default Think we have MBD

went in did some deep digging on my sleeping/hair loss squirrel and i am double sure he has MBD . am changing his diet.have put him on ensure now for extra nutrients he needs as was suggested to do by a fellow rehabber that specializes in squirrels. put him in the sun dailey. when we have sun. ordering a uv light for his cage. am calling vet tomorrow to see about haveing his blood checked for calcium count. have to drive 100mi to have it done will be worth it.
    i have read about giving extra calcium in food? if so how much should i use? i sure do not want to lose this little man.so any help sure would be welcome.and think you everyone for the help already givin.
    the little man's name is roadhouse is blind due to field weed killer and has ulscers on eyes' and now this .so he has been fighting his whole life.
    marna

Default Re: Think we have MBD

Although this is a flyer site (National Flying Squirrel Association) it has some great info on MBD.
    http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic....&highlight=mbd
    Look around the site while you're there, or when you have time....there are some very good tips on feeding, vitamins, etc.

My flyers and other squirrels get L&M Farms liquid vitamins, yogurt, cuttlebone, etc. The yogurt I use is Dannon La Creme, any flavor. I usually offer it 4 or 5 times a week. I use it a lot with my babies, mixed with esbilac, when I am weaning them. Or mixed with whipping cream when I need to put some weight on any of the rehabs. It also helps with any digestion problem they might have.

Hope this helps a little, and hope your baby gets along OK - sounds like he is due for some good luck in his life.

muffinsquirrel

RehabMom, I'm concerned about the Ensure only because I was always told never to give human supplements to squirrels -- but if there is a proven benefit to using Ensure, I'll be open-minded What are the symptoms that have led you to think that Roadhouse has MBD? In any case I think a wildlife vet's expertise is the most important thing he needs right now -- bless you for being willing to make that long drive for him.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

BuckeyeSqrl Guest

Island Rehabber,

If your squirrel does have MBD, the best thing would be a supplement like calciquid in an amount recommended by a vet.

What are the symptoms?

Buckeye (Kristi)

If your squirrel has been getting sufficient calcium in his diet then he may have a lack of vitamin D3. Without adequate vitamin D3 his body isnt able to absorb and utilize calcium. Putting him out in the sunshine for at least half an hour daily is a very good idea to help with this but he has to get the sunshine direct and not through glass or a screen. Just watch that he has shade to get into so he doesnt overheat. He really needs to see a vet experienced in wildlife and also in MBD. I wish you luck and hope the vet can help you with him. Please keep us posted on what the vet says and how he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by rehabmom
    went in did some deep digging on my sleeping/hair loss squirrel and i am double sure he has MBD . am changing his diet.have put him on ensure now for extra nutrients he needs as was suggested to do by a fellow rehabber that specializes in squirrels. put him in the sun dailey. when we have sun. ordering a uv light for his cage. am calling vet tomorrow to see about haveing his blood checked for calcium count. have to drive 100mi to have it done will be worth it.
    i have read about giving extra calcium in food? if so how much should i use? i sure do not want to lose this little man.so any help sure would be welcome.and think you everyone for the help already givin.
    the little man's name is roadhouse is blind due to field weed killer and has ulscers on eyes' and now this .so he has been fighting his whole life.
    marna

BuckeyeSqrl Guest

Rehabmom,

Have you witnessed any seizures? If his blood calcium level gets extremely low, he will begin to have seizures. If this happens, take him to vet immeidately as he is dire need of stabilization. Vitaman D does play a key role in absorption, but sometimes it is their body's inability to properly absorb nutrients.

My thoughts are with you. I raised a very sick squirrel. She had a solid diet, but still developed MBD. She fractured a leg while in a pre-release cage. She was put on calcium supplements, but it still got worse and progressed in seizures. It took alot of professional intervention to get her back on track.

Buckeye (Kristi)

hear are his sys.
    sleeps all day will pee and poo ok
    can't hold nut like most squirrels
    trouble walking, falls asleep while eating
    does small jurks while eating.
    loss of hair
    does not run or limb
    was doing good other then hair loss till about 2 weeks ago
    have started endure,rodent block,primate diet,will make monkey biscits recipe when can get to larger town that has l-glutamine. as chris of chris's squirrels and more suggested doing.oh yes called vet and can't get in till next week.
    have always had antlers in cage.
    would of put is sun today but no sun. as asid earlier getting the right light for cage will run $50-$70 for good one.
    after doing reading on mbd went and ground up a cuttle bone and put some in food an 1cc syringe last night .
    sence he never would eat veg's i plan to blend up and put in own 1cc syringe and feed till will eat on own
    wrong or right let me know and give me idea's please i am open for help.
    thanks to all for help already given
    marna

CliffordandDaisy'sDad Guest

Marna, we've had the best results using Prime. It's a very easy to digest calcium and loaded with amino acids and vitamins.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...6&N=2003+22763