Thread: What/how often should a 9-10 week old squirrel eat?

Default What/how often should a 9-10 week old squirrel eat?

What was your squirrel eating at 9-10 weeks old? How often should they be eating formula at this age, and how much at each feeding?

Miss Suzy will nibble on the rodent block, but only if she is really really hungry. She hasn't been drinking anything noticeably from her water bottle either. We haven't offered anything else yet as we thought she is supposed to get used to eating the rodent block first. We feed her about every 4 to 5 hours now, usually around 8 a.m., 12-1 p.m., around 5-6p.m. & then again before we go to bed., so about four times a day. She eats about 12-15 cc at a time, and weighs about 220 grams now. Is this okay? What else should we be doing?

She is getting very active, and soon I am going to order her the cage that Henry's sells, as I think she needs more room to run & play. She likes to run & play and jump on us, but it is getting painful due to her claws, which we need to trim again, but even then it is still a little painful. She thinks we are trees, I think.

Default Re: What/how often should a 9-10 week old squirrel eat?

At 9-10 weeks she needs less formula and more nutritious solid foods. Three times a day is plenty for FV now -- no more after-sunset feeding, if you want to cut that one out. Try a couple of different types of block: Kay-Tee Forti-Diet for Rats & Mice, Zupreem monkey biscuit, Mazuri rodent block.....and one or two HHB's per day. Also try green leafy veggies like Kale, chickory, dandelion, escarole. Bring in branches from outside and let her chew on them for all the nutrients wild food provides.
    If you're keeping her as a pet, get used to the claws and the climbing you like a tree. That's what they do. If they have no trees to do it on, they will use you.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by blessedbeingmom
    What was your squirrel eating at 9-10 weeks old? How often should they be eating formula at this age, and how much at each feeding? --She eats about 12-15 cc at a time, and weighs about 220 grams now. Is this okay?
    The Rule of Thumb is to feed them 5-7% of their body weight at each feeding, so at 10 weeks old she should be eating 11-15cc of formula every 6 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    At 9-10 weeks she needs less formula and more nutritious solid foods. Three times a day is plenty for FV now -- no more after-sunset feeding, if you want to cut that one out. Try a couple of different types of block: Kay-Tee Forti-Diet for Rats & Mice, Zupreem monkey biscuit, Mazuri rodent block.....and one or two HHB's per day. Also try green leafy veggies like Kale, chickory, dandelion, escarole. Bring in branches from outside and let her chew on them for all the nutrients wild food provides.
    If you're keeping her as a pet, get used to the claws and the climbing you like a tree. That's what they do. If they have no trees to do it on, they will use you.
    Not planning to keep her as a pet for sure!

We were crushing & mixing a bit of Mazuri block with her Fox Valley & feeding that to her to try to get her used to eating the rodent block.

We have been trying to feeding Mazuri rodent block & some kind of rodent block that was the only one they have at Walmart. We just got in the HHB's & gave her the first one today & she absolutely loves it. It was actually frozen when we gave it to her but she is eating it anyway. She's already eaten over half of it!
    Okay, she just ate almost the whole HHB followed by 9 cc FV. She is still favoring the wounded foot that we don't know what happened to it. We have been putting some Neosporin on it since yesterday. You can sort of see the wounded "finger" on her left side in the middle. Wound mentioned here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33835

She weighed 80 grams when we found her & is up to 260 grams now!

Oh and I was holding her while my DH was warming up her milk & she was trying to lick my lips. Apparently she likes the salad dressing from the salad I just ate!

Oh we have also given her kale from the garden & dandelions from outside (we don't spray chemicals outside), but I think she is still trying to get used to those things.

Kale & dandelions, fresh-picked, are two of the BEST squirrel greens you could give her....keep offering them and she will eventually taste them!
    1-2 HHB's per day and you know she's getting the calcium she needs...if you keep her on a good diet and limit the nuts, corn, & other junk she'll do beautifully. BTW she is adorable in that pic!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Great Tail!!!

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France