Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this mange

Default is this mange

Peanut is missing the fur on his ears, on the sides of his face and on his testicles. He has not been scratching and it has been a gradual loss. The fur on the rest of his body is wonderful, nice and thick, including his tail. I will try to get pics.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Default Re: is this mange

Sure don't sound like the usual pattern of mange.

We really need to see a PIC....... due to the fact as stated above, it doesnt sound like the regular pattern mange generally takes. --maybe its winter molt or ear mites?

Ok, fur grew back under the chin and ears...but not the testicles, and now he has lost fur in the groin area and it is is red (although not scaley) and noticed he is scratching in this area. So I am assuming mites. (He is also on the thinner side, even though he eats good). So, do I do revolution or ivermectin? Which is safer? I would die if anything happened to him! (Trying to get pics, but very hard to hold his legs open and get a pic!) He also has a bald spot where his tail and body meet (on the underside, not the top). Is this a typical mange pattern (I think he is beginning to thin in his 'armpits' too.) He also has lot one tiny spot on his head, above his eyes, right in the center, but it is not red there, it is a very small spot, smaller then the head of a pencil.
    Mary...

Sounds like a drop of Revolution wouldn't hurt him any. I have used it on Sammy and all my cats with no ill effects from it at all.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Do you get the revolution for kittens or does it matter?
    Mary...

It doesn't matter as far as I know. It is all the same stuff just different quantities.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Rev for kittens is fine and safe.
    It sounds like it may be mating season
    however if his butt is swollen, that may be his lymph nodes, indicating weak immune system.
    This could be due to stress of mange.
    With mange, usually face is affected first, ears get scaley/crusty..
    some times black gunk in ears is noticable, not always.
    Thin could indicate either rut or mange/immune issues.
    Rev and top shelf feedings, maybe some echinechia in the water.
    Will he lap FV?
    The Rev won't hurt him, one drop between the shoulders..
    I have never had to treat twice, but I haven't seen any mange in a couple few years.
    He should stop itching in a few days after the treatment!

Butt not swollen, just a dime size loss of fur literally on the bottom of his tail right where it connects to body. Ear fur has grown back (never was crusty), as has the fur under chin. the weird thing is, where the fur loss is in the groin (it is actually where his back legs and body meet, in that crease. Sometimes it is reddish looking other times, it just looks flesh colored. I do see his scratching with his back legs at that hip area, though. Will see if hubby can hlep me get a pic later. He eats well, and yes he does love fv in a dish, as well as hhb's, green, avocado (his fav), waxies, veggies. I noticed Neeko looks like he is going through a molt (not bald, but half his body it looks like when a flyer molts, how they still have fur, but it looks shorter and darker when they are molting. That is how Neeko's fur is on half his body. Their cages are next to each other. But have not noticed Neeko scratching.) None of the places with fur loss is crusty or bumpy. I know in squirrels they can get two different types of mange, one of which does not cause the scaliness, so wondering if that is what this is (like you mentioned from stress of it being breeding season, even though his personality has not changed even in the slightest, he is still my sweet boy.)
    Mary...

a bunch of pics I just took of Peanut. The bald spot on his head is new, but when he first came to me, he had had an injury there (crow tried to eat him alive), and when you feel the spot, you can feel a small lump there, assuming scar tissue? There is also a pic of his backend, where he has fur loss under his tail. And in a couple pics you can see the fur loss/pinkness under his armpits and in the creases of his thighs (need help to get a better, pic, as you can see holding him and trying to get a pic of his underside doesn't work well....lol) Does this look like mites? Going to get some revolution from my vet and put a drop on him (was told it would not hurt if if is not mites). He eats well, (greens, veggies, hhb's, loves avocado, waxies and has begun drinking fv again from a dish, he had stopped drinking it for a while, but seems to like it again.) He does not go outside (he will not even let me get him near a window. Wondering if I should get a uv light for him? He is lean, always has been (he is very active), even though he eats quite a bit. I know his fur is 'cracked', but he is not dehydrated (does not tent, drinks plenty of fluids). So, let me know you all think about the fur loss. Thanks. Will be in two posts. First 10 pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Mary...

And the rest of them....
    Mary...

Paps....does Peanut chew on the bars of the cage??
    Baby Jude had this same thing happen when I gave him a deer antler shaped like a V....he chewed so much on it right in the crook that he wore a spot off his head. It grew back fine. When he was older....he would chew on the bars of the cage when he wanted out....and would end up with the same exact looking spot.
    Is it only on his head?
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Here's what Judes looked like.....
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

No, thre is a pic of under his tail, and if you look at the pic of him on top of the cage, look at his front leg, you can see the pink right behind/uner that leg. Front and back legs where the rub against the body, are bald and are pink, but sometimes look brighter pink then at other times (sometimes it just looks flesh colored.) No, he doesn't bite on the bars at all (when he wants out, he will bounce around like a ping pong ball...lol) but he used to have a bald spot there when he first came from an injury and for the past month or so, I could see the spot, it almost looked like he had touched it with the spout of his water bottle, but then he lost the fur there. I have not seen him ever scratch that area. Only place he usually scratches is his sides (just in front of his 'hips' and once in a while his face/chin. Which btw, he had lost the fur under his chin, sort of in the groove where the chin/neck meet, but it grew back. same with the fur on his ears.) Read about a certain type of mange squirrels get (just squirrels get it) and the fur grows back, a normal healthy squirrel has no issues from it, other than loosing the fur (and in winter, that could be an issue because of the cold, but the actual mange itself isn't a big issue from what I read.) I think as long as the revolution would not hurt him, might be a good idea to try it and see if this goes away. What do you think? I love him and don't want to do anything that could cause him any harm.
    Mary...

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    No, thre is a pic of under his tail, and if you look at the pic of him on top of the cage, look at his front leg, you can see the pink right behind/uner that leg. Front and back legs where the rub against the body, are bald and are pink, but sometimes look brighter pink then at other times (sometimes it just looks flesh colored.) No, he doesn't bite on the bars at all (when he wants out, he will bounce around like a ping pong ball...lol) but he used to have a bald spot there when he first came from an injury and for the past month or so, I could see the spot, it almost looked like he had touched it with the spout of his water bottle, but then he lost the fur there. I have not seen him ever scratch that area. Only place he usually scratches is his sides (just in front of his 'hips' and once in a while his face/chin. Which btw, he had lost the fur under his chin, sort of in the groove where the chin/neck meet, but it grew back. same with the fur on his ears.) Read about a certain type of mange squirrels get (just squirrels get it) and the fur grows back, a normal healthy squirrel has no issues from it, other than loosing the fur (and in winter, that could be an issue because of the cold, but the actual mange itself isn't a big issue from what I read.) I think as long as the revolution would not hurt him, might be a good idea to try it and see if this goes away. What do you think? I love him and don't want to do anything that could cause him any harm.
    Oh heck yeah!! Try the Revolution....very hard to overdose......and see what happens.

Émile Zola

Ok, I just noticed your avatar pic....and I am in tears. I think of Flash so often and just seeing him there....sigh......

Thanks, I will try it.
    Mary...

Anybody else????
    Mary...

How we doing today??

Émile Zola

Well, was ok, until the issue with Nestle! My vet is not in today, have appt. on Thurs, so may drag Angel and Peanut with me to do a quick check on them.
    Mary...

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    Well, was ok, until the issue with Nestle! My vet is not in today, have appt. on Thurs, so may drag Angel and Peanut with me to do a quick check on them.
    Good thinkin!!!
    Sending lots of love your way....and thanks for the comment about Flash. Hes still in my mind every single day...

Émile Zola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast