Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

  1. #1
    squirrelgirl6 Guest

    Default Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    My adult male squirrel found a piece of chocolate the size of an average eraser. Its semisweet dark chocolate. I 'm so worried I know it kills rats and mice. It says that vets treat them by making them throw up, maybe i that would work?
    please help, im so worried

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Cradle of Liberty
    Posts
    9,166
    Thanked: 1458

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    When you say "an average eraser" do you mean like 2" x 1"? Or like on the end of a pencil?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

  3. #3
    squirrelgirl6 Guest

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    the ones not on the back of a pencil
    1x3x2 cm
    can you make a squirrel throw up by giving them peroxide?

  4. #4
    Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    23,474
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    who long ago did he eat the chocolate?
    did he eat all of it?
    is he a grey sq?
    how does he appear?
    Ok?
    lethargic?
    active?

  5. #5
    squirrelgirl6 Guest

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    who long ago did he eat the chocolate?
    did he eat all of it?
    is he a grey sq?
    how does he appear?
    Ok?
    lethargic?
    active?

    he ate it at noon 12 am
    hes a black squirrel
    i saw him at 4;00 and he was jolly, seemed fine jumped around playing( hes an outdoor squirrel, ) no signs of anything

  6. #6
    Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    23,474
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    I really don't think its gonna hurt him, I have had sqs thieve candy and sneak candy and I have never seen anything that would alarm me..
    probably ok...
    but not an expert...

    I would not give peroxide...

  7. #7
    squirrelgirl6 Guest

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    okay, but I still wont feel alright till tommorow, if hes okay, I wont try t make him throw up. But it is dark chocolate , wich is worse than milk chocolate

  8. #8
    Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    23,474
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    how did an outside sq get chocolate...
    stop giving him an allowance and he'll stay out of the mini mart

  9. #9
    squirrelgirl6 Guest

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    he came through my window lol
    still worried though

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    20,189
    Thanked: 9570

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    I did some quick research. Theobromine, which is the thing in dark chocolate that is an issue, seems to be a problem for DOGS and everyone assumes that it affects all animals badly. There is no evidence that it does and most of the folks on here have had a chocolate bar stolen before.

    Was this the unsweetened bakers chocolate (that is the highest) or just a dark chocolate candy bar?

    Edit - just answered my own question - semisweet bar. I think he will be okay, and giving him peroxide this much later wouldn't do anything anyway. All that chocolate...might want to get him some Clearasil...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Cradle of Liberty
    Posts
    9,166
    Thanked: 1458

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    I bet he was jolly!
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,915
    Thanked: 13301

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    Squirrels can digest chocolate without harm, it does not effect their systems as it does in dogs. Your little buddy will be just fine...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    19,874
    Thanked: 1093

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    Yup, he will be fine (but don't be surprised if he comes back looking for more!!! lol)
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

  14. #14
    squirrelgirl6 Guest

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    Squirrels can digest chocolate without harm, it does not effect their systems as it does in dogs. Your little buddy will be just fine...
    Do you know how long it takes for him to digest, so we know when i can be sure hes okay

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,915
    Thanked: 13301

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelgirl6
    Do you know how long it takes for him to digest, so we know when i can be sure hes okay
    I do not know the exact time frame that it would take for a squirrel to get something completely through it's system. However, if the pellets they drop soon after eating is any indication I would have to say not long.
    I understand your concern but you are worrying for nothing, he will be fine.
    My wife who is a "chocoholic" was sharing her chocolate with our baby, she would give her a small treat when she came home from work as a way to bond with her. Hershey's light, dark, didn't matter, little girl loved it all. I stopped my wife from doing that because of the sugar content and fear of diabetes but other then spoiling her appetite she never had a problem.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    belleview/ocala florida
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Help!! Squirrel ate dark chocolate

    Oh he will be fine!!! Bandit (one of my flyers) found a peanut M&M in my scrub pocket about a month age....and he was and is completely fine...!!! I wasnt to worried cause he broke it open like a acorn to get out the peanut (I dont let them eat peanuts so he got himslef a little treat!) Needless to say, he did eat some of the chocolate too...I think Poor Sadie felt Jealous!

    (I work in Daycare and am always coming home with wierd things in my pocket...but usually its the dogs that find it first)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •