Thread: Moose

Default Moose

I would like to thank everyone who voted for my picture of moose. I thought it would be appropriate to tell mooses story. Although I was in contact with Island and Nancy the summer I got Moose no thread was ever started. Moose came to me along with her siblings the summer of 2010. A woman in a local community had a tree cut down and the tree cutters found the nest. Although we waited for mommy she never came back.There was moose 'a brother and 2 sisters all under a week old. My first pinkies Moose started life named Ruby...I put a drop of red polish on her head to tell her apart from her siblings.For a few days all was well and then the diarrhea started. Ruby aka Moose started first. But it was a number of odd things...her fur actually looked oily..strange breathing and the diarrhea was odd to..white ,sticky, thick and lumpy. At first I thought maybe I was overfeeding but I decided to start her on baytril to be on the safe side. Then I noticed the baytril had crystals in it..I consulted my vet and although she said it was ok I switched to SMZ. All of them had the strange diarrhea by the next day. Although they continued eating well they all lost weight but the other three never made it past a few days and one by one i lost them. But ruby aka moose held on. By now she was so thin and emaciated my daughter named her Batwing because her skin on her arms and legs looked just like batwings. And then as fast as she got sick she did a turn around.And got her name Moose She started eating everything in sight and by the fall when my girlfriend took her to overwinter her she was fat and beautiful. Moose was released last spring on my girlfriends farm and I am sure she is still soaring in the trees!!
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    mjs

Default Re: Moose

I am sorry the pics are so blurry but they were taken on my cell phone. I also noticed something scary about the pics and remembered something about when i got the babies. I had them in a small cage with puppy pads as a liner. I put them in a tupperware container when they became so sick to help them keep moisture...I am now thinking maybe the puppy pad made them so sick??
    mjs

Thanks for the Story and for saving Moose...EVERY rescue is a MIRACLE and a deposit in your Karma-Account

MOOSE is Gorgeous.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by mudmaiden
    I am sorry the pics are so blurry but they were taken on my cell phone. I also noticed something scary about the pics and remembered something about when i got the babies. I had them in a small cage with puppy pads as a liner. I put them in a tupperware container when they became so sick to help them keep moisture...I am now thinking maybe the puppy pad made them so sick??

It is very possible. It would never have occurred to me that they were anything but absorbent paper, but it seems that many have adopted the same idea as disposable diapers, with that "gel" between the layers to make them more absorbent...

Moose is adorable.

Moose is a gorgeous girl, mudmaiden, and I am so happy she is free in the trees! You did an excellent job with her, especially when this was your first experience with pinkies and they obviously had some issues, too.

Congratulations on winning the Photo Contest!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thanks so much to you all...she was a very special girl and deserves her moment in the spotlight!!!
    mjs

What a special little girl....Moose, running in the trees, living the good life, thanks to Mudmaiden and her committment to keep this baby alive.
    What a story.
    Congratulations to you and to her, both fighters ....
    and congratulations on winning the photo contest, how could you not with that face?

Moose is a real beauty! What a terrific success story. Sad that the others didn't make it, but as little as they were, more of a miracle that Moose survived and thanks to you THRIVED! Thanks for sharing her story!

She is just precious!!! I categorized her photo as "sweetest Face"!!! Again congratulations on winninf the contest!